Tres Leches....milk, milk and more milk

annie1992

One way to get exactly the kind of birthday cake you want is to make your own. As I posted on my birthday thread, I made a tres leches cake. I found Alton Brown's recipe because I like Alton Brown, but his was all in weight and I just don't have the patience for that, plus it called for cake flour which I don't have any of at this time. Not wanting to make a trip to the store, I kept looking.

I eventually found a recipe on "All Recipes" that contained the ingredients I had on hand and got great reviews. It made a 9x13 cake, enough for everyone. Encouraged, I "got to baking".

Since I made it 3 days ago and it's all gone, I guess it was well received. I didn't spend time decorating, and I think the whipped cream topping would not last well during long storage. I thought it was soggy. Not terrible I-can't-eat-this soggy, but definitely too much milk mixture poured over it. The recipe called for 2 cups of milk and one can each of sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk, I'd cut that milk down to 1 cup, I think.

Thanks to a tip from Sol years ago, I made a can of dulce de leche and decided to gild the lily, so I poked the cake, poured the milk over, added a layer of dulce de leche then topped it with the whipped cream.

This was Mother's piece, it was in a bowl because we were going to add a scoop of raspberry sorbet, but she decided she just wanted cake:

I made homemade dark chocolate espresso ice cream and that raspberry sorbet with berries that I picked last year and froze. Both went nicely with the cake.

I'd definitely make this cake again, although I'd cut down on the milk, as I mentioned. And, of course, it all got eaten, somehow. I especially liked the layer of dulce de leche, although that's probably not "authentic". I like it a lot, though, and since I was baking, I got to decide. It was a good decision, I think.

Annie

SaveComment10Like10
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colleenoz

Looks good! I don’t often have a birthday cake as I don’t usually care to make my own, but I suspect my co-workers are organising one this year

:-)

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

my birthday is in November ... hint hint

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

That sure does look luscious. I'm not surprised in the least that it got scarfed up rather quickly! Can you put the unused shortcake biscuits in the freezer?

Save    
Sooz

(raising my hand) Oh, I'd gladly tuck into that!

Save    
nancyofnc

annie -You can make cake flour from AP flour - just fill a measuring cup with AP - take out 2 tablespoons and put 2 tablespoons in of corn starch. Sift twice. The cake won't be as tender but still delicious so don't give up on dear Alton. But, I've used Martha Stewart's recipe with AP and it is yummy, but held off putting fresh fruit on the whipped cream frosting like she did. Your raspberry sorbet sounds better for this rich cake.

My birthday is the 13th. We had planned on a glamping trip in the mountains with son and DIL but since we are "elderly" - hah! we all decided it wasn't the best thing to do during this *%^$-damn-ick. Since they live 400 miles away - they'll be no celebration - but DIL is a pro cake baker/decorator so I kinda expect a package in the mail instead of in person. Will not be the same - however DH gave me early present of a RCA laptop tablet with front and rear cameras - Zoom here we come! A whole new experience for us if we can figure the thing out. I will miss the hugs and kisses the most. You are fortunate to have family close: mother, children and grands.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

As I read your post, I was smiling and so happy you had your family with you, you had made a cake you wanted, I was even lusting over your cake... and all that white icing on top, until I got to the part that reads "I made homemade dark chocolate espresso ice cream" and frankly, I went into a desire coma. That's when your mind is overwhelmed with desire, and you sit, mouth agape, rather stupefied, longing and hoping that somehow you can have a taste. Eventually I came out of it. Wiped the saliva off my chin. There was no dark chocolate espresso ice cream waiting for me...

I love that you went rogue and made Sol's dulce de leche and added that! Mmmmm! Thanks for posting the photo, I wondered what Tres Leches cake was, and it looks and sounds lovely (despite that you'd not use all the milk)!

Save    
plllog

Y'know what? While I understand it's an embellishment, I don't think I've ever eaten tres leches without dulce de leche! That's why my first reaction was very sweet. :) So glad it was a disappearing cake!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Yum - whipped cream is my all time fave cake topping!

Save    
annie1992

Colleen, my secretary used to bake me lemon bars every year, I liked them better than cake. Now, unfortunately, I'm retired and have no secretary and so I have to bake my own. Enjoy your prospective birthday cake, I remember you share a birthday with my youngest daughter, only a couple of days away.

Bragu, I'll bake another one in November, don't be late or we'll eat it all without you. Again.

Edie, those biscuits are already in the freezer, great minds think alike, LOL.

Sooz, you said have said something earlier, I'd have saved you a piece. Yeah, sure, I would have. Really...

Nancy, I remember now that you reminded me, that I can make cake flour with cornstarch. Happy Birthday to you too, PLUS a laptop? Good for DH!! Zoom is better than nothing, but I know I'm lucky to have everyone close. I hated those first couple of months when I didn't get to see anyone and I'm still sad that we missed our Easter dinner as a family, that's never happened before. Our Governor is now slowly lifting restrictions and cases are going down, but I'm being pretty careful because of Mother. Sorry about your glamping trip, but I know that we old people have to be careful. (grin)

2many, hurry up here, I have ice cream left, even if all the cake is gone, and I'd share! "Went rogue". LOL, I like that. And I seem to do it regularly...

plllog, I only saw one single recipe that used the dulce de leche, and that was only in the remarks about the recipe. I thought it sounded pretty good, so I did it. Of course, most of the recipes were very similar so after I looked at 3 or 4 they all started looking pretty much the same which is probably why the dulce de leche kind of "jumped out" at me.

Carol, I agree about the whipped cream, except I don't even need cake sometimes! How could whipped cream possibly be bad?

So, now back to my healthy eating, at least for now. I have mizuna and baby bok choi ready to use, and I'm picking asparagus daily, so I have no excuse to not eat my vegetables. I'll be thinking of cake, though.

Annie

1 Like Save    
party_music50

The cake looks really good, but that ice cream and sorbet sounds better! :)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Painting What to Know About Milk Paint and Chalk Paint — and How to Use Them
Learn the pros, cons, cost and more for these two easy-to-use paints that are great for giving furniture a vintage look
Full Story
Accessories Accessories 101: A Splash of Milk Glass
A fanciful group of these vintage collectibles creates timeless style just about anywhere
Full Story
Gold Foliage Great Design Plant: Milk Bush
With a rubbery texture and cartoon-like branches, this succulent brings an unusual, exotic energy to landscapes and container gardens
Full Story
With over 20 years of experience in Stone Masonry working in Fairfield County, we work closely with you by taking... Read More
Our ultimate goal is to create a home for our clients to enjoy for many years. One that reflects the client's... Read More