I think I need a new fridge

satine100

My icemaker wasn't working today so I took out the bin and messed around a bit with the icemaker. It never did start making ice and I just found a puddle of water on the floor in front of the refrigerator. I have lots of towels rolled up and hopefully that will catch any water still leaking (Im hoping that maybe some ice got spilled and melted). I have never bought a fridge and have n idea what to look for. I want white since that is what my other appliances are and I really can't stand ss or black. I think I might want a french door but don't really know what to look for. I measured the fridge and it is 31" across and 33 " deep and about 70 inches high. I guess I'll be heading lowes tomorrow. Any recommendations? I want simple without computer capable etc.

SaveComment20Like
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Annie Deighnaugh

It sounds like the water line to the ice maker is leaking...it may have nothing to do with the fridge at all...you might look into getting it repaired...a lot less $$ that way.

1 Like Save     Thanked by satine100
functionthenlook

Sometimes you just need to clean the coils. Try it, it can't make it any worse and is free.

Save    
georgysmom2

You might just need a new ice-maker. How old is your fridge? We have had a Fridgedaire, French door, freezer on the bottom for about 5 years now and we like it a lot.

Save    
ci_lantro

Is the refrigerator & freezer sections cooling like normal? What brand? How old?

Water on the floor--shut off the water line to the unit after you eliminate the water line itself from being a source of the leak. Check the line itself & the connection to the water inlet valve on the refrigerator.

If the unit is cooling as normal, the problem could be the water line, water inlet valve or the icemaker itself. Lots of youtube videos to help make a diagnosis. All the problems that I mentioned are easy to repair/ replace.

Save    
Elizabeth

Do not buy a Samsung. Several members of my family have had problems with them. Very cheaply made.

Save    
Michael

We own Samsung and it's been exceptional for us. We do maintain ours according to manufacturers recommendation.

I just replaced the ice maker and water inlet valve in my daughter's 3 year old Kenmore Elite. Brands don't make much difference since the ice maker and inlet valve is the same one used in over 1,000 models.

Be proactive. Be sure water supply is off until the problem is resolved.

1 Like Save    
satine100

Thanks everyone. I turned off the ice maker and there is no additional water on the floor this morning. This is a very old appliance. I think it might be original to the house which is 28 years old. My feeling is just time to replace but my daughter wants to come over today and pull the fridge out and check the water line. We'll see what happens.

Save    
nicole___

I also own a Samsung, french door and it's been fantastic!

Glad you turned off the ice maker.....hope it's a cheap fix!

Save    
dedtired

Satire, when my I ice maker started leaking, I did the same as you. I just turned it off and went back to using ice cube trays. I don’t use much ice so I don’t miss the ice maker.

Save    
chloebud

Satine, I hope you solve the problem. If you do end up getting a new fridge, don't shop for any certain brand. Look for features and price you like. You'll find negative feedback about any brand out there...LG, Samsung, KitchenAid, Whirlpool, GE, Fridgedaire, and so on. The quality of kitchen appliances today is far from what it used to be. If your fridge is actually 28+ years old, a new one won't last near that long.

2 Likes Save    
Raye Smith

My Whirlpool fridge wet the floor several years ago. Turned out to be a blocked line that was easy to fix. Try an appliance repair company first. I prefer to get my appliances from Ferguson's.

Save    
maifleur03

I have a Samsung French Door. Sometimes the seal around the top doors allows water to condense between the doors and drip on the floor. OP might want to check tomorrow morning to see if the floor is wet again. At 28 years of age the seal might be allowing cool air to escape. Now I press the doors firmly and if very humid in the summer the ac takes care of the high humidity.

I do love the French Door's but finding a frig that will fit may require special ordering a size once you find a type that you like.

Save    
georgysmom2

If it's fixable, you might want to consider fixing it assuming everything else on the fridge is okay. I can assure you anything you buy today will not last 28 years. The average life expectancy of a refrigerator today is 7 years! The last time I had a repair man here (before I bought my now Fridgedaire, he said he recently went to someones house and they had a Philco that their parents gave them. Now that had to be about 50 years old. He wasn't there to repair the Philco. That was running fine. He was there to repair their new refrigerator.

1 Like Save    
Michael

A 28 year old unit is consuming too much electricity. We all like to mention climate change but forget that wasting energy contributes to climate change. Hmmmmmm.

A new unit will save you a significant amount of energy dollars compared to the current unit and help fight climate changes.

Of course it's your choice.

1 Like Save    
chloebud

"The average life expectancy of a refrigerator today is 7 years!"

Likely very accurate. I've also been told 5-10 years for washing machines. Also, cross your fingers and toes tightly if you get to 5 years with no issues. We got exactly 4 1/2 years from our last washing machine (thank you, Whirlpool!). :-(

Save    
Michael

When we relocated here we left behind a 15 year old Amana refrigerator, a 15 year old front load Whirlpool washer and dryer pair, and a 15 year old Kenmore dishwasher, all in good working condition. I think some appliances are abused, or neglected, causing early failure.

Save    
ci_lantro

I have an old Whirlpool refrigerator that is at over 32 years old. It's the basement fridge now. Bought it second hand around 30 years ago. I have had to repair the ice-maker once (new timer motor) and did replace the entire icemaker once about 10 years ago. Replaced the condenser fan last year when it got dodgy. Only cost has been for parts--less than $100 total during the 30 years--I've made all the repairs myself. Have never hooked up the ice-maker in the upstairs fridge. Rather have icemaker leaks in the basement on the concrete slab so I take the empty icemaker tray to the basement and dump the basement fridge ice into it.

Save    
satine100

I have decided to just turn the icemaker off for the time being. I ordered some old time ice cube trays from amazon and will use those. No more leaking with the ice maker on or off. Im sure I'll end up replacing the fridge but at least I feel like I can take my time and find what I want. Thanks for all the input.

1 Like Save    
share_oh

A friend of mine tried to find a freezer to purchase last weekend. None in stock and the earliest she could get one in from Home Depot I believe was the store, was the end of August, beginning of Sept!

Not sure if that's the case everywhere or with all appliances, but I was shocked she'd have to wait that long.

Save    
OutsidePlaying

Just FYI....we had a problem back before Christmas with our ice maker. It didn’t leak like yours is doing but it wasn’t making ice. Or it did one day, then not the next. No big deal really as we don’t use a lot. I had called the repair guy but it was going to be Jan 3 before he showed up.

Then Christmas Day we came home from spending most of the day at DD’s house and our fridge felt warm inside. So was the freezer. We threw away bags of stuff and went shopping the next day. Ended up with a KA counter depth (our old one was also counter depth). Cancelled the service call of course.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Fun Houzz Everything I Need to Know About Decorating I Learned from Downton Abbey
Mind your manors with these 10 decorating tips from the PBS series, returning on January 5
Full Story
Inside Houzz Inside Houzz: Updates to the Houzz App for iPhone and iPad
By Houzz
With a redesign and new features, the Houzz app is better than ever
Full Story
Kitchen Design Why Your Kitchen Wants Its Own iPad
Cooking-school gateway, recipe database, foodie networking ... an iPad in the kitchen has uses far beyond being a message center
Full Story
Friendly Painting, Inc., is a full service residential & commercial painting and contracting business founded in... Read More