SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaedwards310

New bumpout --> new layout. I think I'm close!

MelEdwards
7 years ago

All -

***Thank you*** to everyone who posted on my last layout thread. You all provided a lot of GREAT advice. I hope it's OK to start a new thread as that one has lots of images of the now abandoned layout so I find it easier to start over. But for reference my earlier post is here: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4023731/please-critique-our-layout?n=57.

I also want to give a shout out to whoever mentioned using floorplanner to draw their layouts. I can't remember who it was, but I am very grateful - I find it incredibly helpful for this process!

Overall I fell like the broad outlines of this layout really work (though as always I welcome criticism!), but it is a rough guide and I would love help thinking through exact appliances, sink sizes, cabinets, etc. In particular I'm debating the location and setup for the ovens: double oven w/ separate MW, oven and steam oven, those elements in separate locations, etc.

Thank you all for your help and for looking.

To recap our details:

• family of 4

• cook at home frequently

• often have 3-4 people working in the kitchen at a time, though generally in different zones / tasks

• entertain frequently, but generally with 1-2 other families vs. big parties (though I could see us hosting more parties once we redo the house)

• slab construction

• house is 2 story with brick veneer on front and sides

Our current floorplan looks basically like this (image from 1980's sales materials:)

And the new layout after bumping the breakfast nook 3' towards the garage (top of image) and into the back porch so it lines up with the stairwell:

And a VERY rough paint job to show the new space - in red is the bump out, the gray zone in the living room is where we are removing the fireplace wall

Comments (6)