SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coops905

Options for achieving solid off-white floors

H202
3 years ago

Our home is true midcentury style (not just a house that was built in the mid-century....). The previous owners did a full reno and doubled the size in 1999. They mostly maintained the original aesthetic, but chose bizarrely bad tile floors that cover all 3000 square feet of our entire house (bathrooms, closets etc). I've talked to local preservationists, who agree the floors are not home-appropriate. We also hate the look of them and would love to replace when we do a kitchen/bath reno in the coming years!

To fit our home's modern style and geography (south florida) while keeping up with modern times, the best floors would be some kind of solid off-white/cream/sand color. Like a modern, lighter version of the terrazzo our home might have originally had. (As an aside, lots of experts think our home originally had terrazzo -- but the point is moot because the 1999 addition doesn't have terrazzo - and the house is open concept).

I've looked into terrazzo - the installer laughed at the idea of installing in an old house. It'd be like $200,000.

I've looked at a wide variety of terrazzo-like tile products. Materials range in price from $8 to $25 per square foot. Plus labor and tearing out the existing tile, and i've received quotes starting at $70,000. More than I want to spend.

What are some other options to achieve this light, solid surface look and what's pricing like? We've received a quote for around $10,000 to tear out the tile. No idea what the foundation looks like underneath but I assume there'll be a spend here too.

- Epoxy? Galleries online seem to have a lot of brown and metallic residential epoxy floors and not so many light color ones, so not sure if this is an option?

- Decorative concretes. What are my options to get a solid off-white/sand light color? Can staining achieve a lighter color than the concrete itself? Note that I don't want the natural imperfections of the foundation to be visible (I love this look - but it's wrong for our home).

- Is painting concrete an option? durability?

- Marmoleum? does this come in pure off white? I can't find a local dealer to see samples....

What other ideas can achieve this solid, light color floor without costing an arm and a leg?

Comments (4)