SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Spring : new beginnings part 5

Hello Friends !! Time for part 5! There are amazing photos on part 4 , please revisit and see all the goodies there !! cant wait to see everyones gardens here . God bless y’all and let’s share some pics !!!

Bliss Parfuma

Comments (352)

• Minshen (8b/9a Victoria BC)
    3 years ago

I’ve been waiting for the earth angel buds to open forever, and they’d been attacked by both thrips and deer during that long period. But finally!!! I got some lovely blooms today. So far out of all the bareroot Kordes roses I bought last fall she’s been the most vigorous grower and I love her old fashioned globular blooms!!

The black spotty leaves are from good old Abe Darby beside her. Shes been very healthy so far with no spraying.

I could see why some of you said that she’s slow to repeat. Even the buds on her first flush took forever to open.

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Lions fairy tale is another Kordes rose I planted last fall, bare root (from Palatine’s). This is his first bloom. So far I don’t have anything too nice to say about this particular flower — ordinary looking, and hardly any scent. However, he’s been completely healthy, and really prolific so far —- i bought two and each has about 20buds on them right now AFTER the deer ate away some. But they haven’t opened yet so I don’t have a picture to show.

Pope John Paul ii second flush. Still very big and fragrant. His new leaves are so burgundy and red that I have paranoid myself countless times into thinking that he’s got RRV.... (same thing with Olivia Austin. Her new growth is almost pure bright red for me!)

Sexy rexy. The shorter one in front is QoS.

Lady of Shallot is completely tangerine for me. TBH I’m not a huge fan of her colour, although I have to say it’s pretty unique. But I’ve seen many pics where she is a nice soft peachy colour for others... Not sure if it’s just the one I got or thats how she performs in our climate. I also don’t notice a big scent, which is also strange because I heard lots of praise for her fragrance. Maybe it’s because shes only in her first year. I do love her vigor and bloom productivity so far.

• Related Discussions

New Spring pics Part 3

Q

Comments (12)
    Amy, such lovely hosta, with scads of big fat eyes! Just enjoyed looking tonight, will worry about IDs another time. Oh yeah, we needed to begin a Part 3 new photos. Thanks for doing that. I happen to have a few new ones to show and tell. Warwick Comet, new this year, cute as a button FRAGRANT Poseidon FRAGRANT White Knight Candy Dish China Girl, a new Alttara Scheer hosta Emily Dickinson, fragrant and about as feminine as they come The Razor's Edge & Iron Gate Delight Victory (here since 2011) Flower Power in the coffee can...somebody remarked about it the other day, so I show this for their benefit Two young Happy Hearts FRAGRANT Sweet Standard showing its stripes this year Sweet Tater Pie is a small guy who thinks big! FRAGRANT Blue another one followed me home in 2011 Sagae, new 2012 Gypsy Rose Paradigm Clear Fork River Valley up really big, love the look L to R, Front to Back: Golden Meadows, Fragrant Blue Ribbons, Paradise Sunshine Forbidden Fruit, Orange Marmalade, June Fever and Jaws on the right rear Alex Summers, a much appreciated bonus from Hallson FRAGRANT Old Faithful by Olga Cracker Crumbs and Snow Mouse in a bowl of minis with an "olla" Krossa Regal looking powder blue Dark Shadows
    ...See More

update: update: mnf jan 2010 swap - new beginnings part 2

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Dawn, please thank your hubby as well will you, i am excited about getting my herb garden started,and about the poppy seed,your hubby actually gathered the seed for you?How nice. Wayne is really nice also, he does not glean seed for me, but he would if i asked him,he does pretty much any thing i ask of him. I understand about the excitement of putting the box together, i think we all try to do the best we can,any way i do,and its proof, you do.ha ha Where did you ever find them garden gloves?They look like they will work out great.Can't wait to try them. I hope your box will be as nice as mine,and i hope every one will go read the last posting,so they can see what all you sent. cAROL
    ...See More

NEW: jumpstart on spring with leftovers part 2

Q

Comments (38)
    Kris it went out today..All my round robins went out late.. This chemo and dad sick has turned my days and nights upside down... I cant seem to catch a peaceful moment....... but I am so sorry for the tardiness.... you know my other one went out fine ....I do hope everyone likes their seeds and will forgive me for being late in everything.......... I tell you the truth Kris I can't seem to catch up on things for the life of me.......... but all my round robins are mailed out now ........all 3 of them........... and on the way....Let me know when you recieve them ok ..........thanks Kris ..................................Donna .
    ...See More

5-1-1 mix is beginning to decompose after 1.5 months - normal?

Q

Comments (1)
    Even if there was a a significant N supply, there wouldn't be a notable breakdown of the bark within such a short period. Might you be noting the bark particles snuggling together more tightly, which reduces the o/a volume by diminishing air space? How long a soil lasts can be over-shadowed by the need to repot or divide plantings, or in some cases just turn them onto the compost pile if the planting is comprised of annuals. As plantings mature, the root system often become a part of the soil structure (with some soils, that never happens because the lower part of the soil is always saturated). I've seen some plantings where at least 90% of the original soil mass has gassed off, leaving only a small fraction of soil in a pot filled with roots. If you are growing a plant that doesn't produce an extensive root system, you can probably go 2 years using the 5:1:1 mix before collapse becomes much of a problem. If you have a planting with a vigorous root system, once you get to the 2 or 3 year point, the roots have either becoming a part of the soil's structure, so even as the 5:1:1 soil breaks down and collapses, the roots themselves should be contributing to aeration and drainage, or roots have formed a mat so dense that water and gases don't penetrate. In either case the remedy is repotting or if appropriate, dividing. Al
    ...See More
    3 years ago

Happy weekend everyone!

Heres a huge bloom of Pope John Paul II for you :)

Size-wise, Lady of Shallot and Abe Darby aren’t bad either.

Finally some cut flowers for the home

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

We have finally received rain and some relief from the heat! We had close to 2.5 inches yesterday, with more chances in the forecast, Everything looks refreshed.

• valmar3984
    3 years ago

You all have wonderful flowers. I planted some roses a few weeks ago. I love them! But I keep getting my leaves attacked! I managed to spray for aphids. But I think now I have rose slugs. Any remedies for this??

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Lilyfinch - I've wanted a fountain for many years...I love my fountain....still no pictures. My advice for marriages is to be kind to each other. Be appreciative of the small things your partner does for you...and do small things for your partner. I'm sure your marriage will last a lifetime. :)

Minshen - the fountain is up near the house. The house is brown and the fountain is brown-ish. Apparently the fountain was made by someone from Italy who started making fountains here (my husband told me where...but I forgot...somewhere in N.A.). The fountain looks Italian to me. But I need something growing behind it. Weeds...yeah...this was something I wasn't sure what it was...so I let it grow everywhere. Then when it flowered...I knew. Hopefully we both got our weeds under control. :) Your Earth Angel blooms look so fresh and pretty! Mmmmm!

Totoro - good going with diversifying your plantings! It will look great and be healthier for your roses...having a buffer between the roses that insects might not cross. Gold fish!! What a great idea! I love your water pot!! So pretty!!! GASP!! Oooh!! Quicksilver and a clematis!!! Lovely!

Kristine - oh so funny about the snails and the ivy!!! :) :)

Merlena - yay for the rain!!!

Valmar - squish.

I finally have a few almost blooms!!! My PJPII's (the one I overwintered...I have 2, because I thought it had died and bought another one...but it came back and has the first bloom!!) bud has opened slightly! It's fragrance is intense!!! But, we do have a lot of humidity here lately...so that helps. This is the first time I've had a bloom from PJPII!!!! The fragrance!!! Swoon!

3 years ago

rosecanadian— I’m sure your fountain will be a great outstanding feature in your garden! They always provide such structural beauty. I’m so excited for your PJPII blooms, and I’m glad you got 2 plants because his flowers are just so fragrant and long-lasting. He’s the only hybrid tea I keep.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

Thank you Carol, the rain has been a welcome relief!

I have had quite a few rose blooms recently, here’s a few from the past few days:

DEE-LISH seems like a good rose.

BEVERLY

LIEBESZAUBER

SOLERO

The first time I recall MME ERNEST CALVAT setting on blooms soon after the first flush

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Beautifrul. Carol, I'd love to see pics of you pots outside as they bud up and can't wait to see your fountain. It's sounds unique and classic at the same time. That's amazing that someone makes it locally. Do you cut your blooms for inside? Except for the freeze snafu it seems you are getting earlier blooms. S-A Love this set of roses and am interest to hear if MmEC keeps up with the flushes this summer. I'm already thinking about next year and I like that colour. I saw Beverly in person yesterday, but it was a pathetic HD plant so I passed for now. I will be adding one of your stalwarts and plan to start a new post so I look forward to your input.

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    3 years ago

Happy Father's Day!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

I look forward to seeing your post, vaporvac. Lynne, those roses are absolutely gorgeous! And yes, Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers.

3 years ago

Lynn, that is the perfect bouquet! What are the varieties? I love the glimpse of the crystal Vaz.

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    3 years ago

thank You @Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley @sara_ann-z6bok

Had hard time typing using my phone

there are:Eden, Queen of Sweden, PAK, Jude the obscure,Lady Emma,Claire Austin

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

Even more lovely with the full view of the vase!

3 years ago

I can only imagine your garden with that mix of roses.

3 years ago

Been anxiously awaiting my first ever Bloom from madame plantier only to see this. :-( a lovely rose no doubt but I believe it is Cecil Brunner of which I have many already. A year-and-a-half of waiting and babying Mi Oh well. I have a friend whose Garden I'm helping in and I believe he would like this Rose. Now to finally get madam plantier.

Thank you Lynn for taking the time to write out those Roses. I can only use voice recognition on my phone so I completely identify with the issue.

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    3 years ago

thank You, @Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley, I didn't know they have voice input . it is so nice

I will post some picture of my garden just for you :)

PA K

Paul NeYRon

queen of Sweden

3 years ago

Lynne — OMG!! Swoooon! What beautiful roses you grow! I wanna be in your garden all the time.

3 years ago

Look who we got this morning after a whole day of warm sun!

My first ever Floral Fairy Tale bloom! Planted this one bare root last fall. Gorgeous colour. My only true peach I think. The rest “peachy” ones are either pinkier or orangey-er.

Bliss parfuma.

Edith’s Darling.

3 years ago

The ancient mariner

Pope John paul ii

All dressed up. Some of these were attacked as buds by the thrips.

Sexy rexy

Anne Boleyn

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Carol - the pretty blue flowers you asked about are called blue lace flowers (Trachelium Caeruleum) - from Annie’s Annuals. I have another darker flower behind and to the left — that is Trachelium caeruleum 'Hamer Pandora’. The catalog says the flowers make perfect landing pads for butterflies — and the other day I saw a huge swallowtail butterfly bouncing along the tops of the flowers! I tried to capture it with the camera, but not even close.

Here’s the description of the flowers from Annie’s Annuals: "Sensationally big 4-5” lavender-blue flower heads are produced lavishly over a long season – May to September – on this vigorous and fast perennial. Held atop 3’ stems and pretty foliage, the lightly scented, dense umbels are dotted with tiny white “pins”. Super landing pad and nectar source for butterflies and adored by bees. Long-lasting cut flowers galore! Rich, well-drained soil a must! Root hardy to 10-15°F. Self-sows! " And for the Hamer Pandora one: "The darker variety of “Blue Lace Flower”, big fluffy dark purple landing pads to 5” across are favorite rest stops and a sweet nectar source for neighborhood but­terflies. Fluffiness is provided by tiny white “pins” emerging from each little flower. Fast and easy, with loads of blooms atop 2-3’ branching stems and gorgeous dark purple-black foliage. To-die-for cut flowers. Deadhead for Summer-Fall bloom. Rich soil."

Thank you, Lilyfinch for the Burling tip. Have you ever seen a Stephen Rulo in person? I am bad about saving seeds. Even when I do save them, I rarely actually get them to the finish line with actual plants! My snapdragons have behaved more like perennials. I just planted a new one 10 days ago, the Chantilly purple one, and it seems happy and like it will bloom soon! My best blooms from them seem to come in late winter. But even now I still have some blooming. I’m new to snapdragons myself — and have only grown the Annie’s Annuals. They get super tall!

Thanks Minshen and LilyFinch - I do think it was heat. I hadn’t fertilized, and they had plenty of water.

My Olivia Rose Austin bush is getting huge. I had one before - this is year 3 for it — and wanted to love it, but it just didn’t do much of anything. Slow to re-bloom, blooms were stingy. But because of this forum, I got another one direct from David Austin, and this one is just knocking my socks off. And now, the original one is starting to go nuts, too! So I wonder if I got a less than great one first time around, or if the loss of the big oak last November created just enough of a sun window for the other Olivia. And I put a bunch of roses in a vase inside, and the only two that lasted more than a day were the Olivias. So…now I’m seeing what all the fuss was about! And, my Bolero (brand new this year) is getting ready for a second bloom, and it’s looking so healthy. And Scentuous is getting ready for a re-bloom!

Kristine - love your story of the snail and the ivy. Ooh, that sounds like a good children’s book title!

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Oh -- I also went online and ordered "the Impressionist" and Lyda from Heirloom Roses. They won't ship for a good long while -- which will give me time to figure out where to put them! I may give up on Madam Anisette...but I have time to decide! Thanks, all you lovely enablers out there!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Minshen - as soon as my husband is finished releveling it, I will post pictures of it. Maybe I can get some pointers on plants to plant around it. I'll definitely take pictures of PJPII and Dee-Lish...both are fairly small still. Good to know that PJPII is a worthwhile rose! Thanks, Minshen. :) Thanks for sharing your peachy roses! Edith's Darling is a big bloomer!

Merlena - a second flush on MEC...I've never had that rose...but I'm happy that you got an unexpected gift from that bush! My Dee-Lish is new too. I have 2 now...forgot that I had bought one bareroot (which has done nothing)...and I bought one with a bud on it...which is opening up now. I don't usually like having 2 roses on one variety...but it sure beats an empty pot. LOL I love your Solero!

Vaporvac - I'll definitely start taking pictures tomorrow (Monday)!! No, I rarely (almost never) cut roses for inside. My roses don't get all that many blooms...and my kitchen is usually a mess in summer...so... LOL Yes, you have a great memory! My roses are getting buds earlier this year...probably because of my husband bringing the pots in/out during the spring. I usually get about 2 blooms before July. Which is what I'll get this year too...but...the difference is that a lot of my bushes are bushier (although slightly more than half are new roses) and there are a lot more buds. .... Oh dang! That's frustrating to get the wrong rose...especially since you already have it...and you've been waiting so long to get MP.

Lynne - oh my heavens!!!! What a lovely, lovely bouquet!!! What a wonderful tribute to fathers! Oh wowza!!!! Your garden is sooo full of blooms! How can you bare to go inside? :) :)

Deborah - Dang that Trachelium Caeruleum is too tender for here. At least I get to enjoy it in your pictures! Really cool about the butterflies! I'm glad that your Olivia Rose Austin bushes are doing so well. Pictures please when you get a moment. :) Ooooooh!!!! That last picture is magical!!!!

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

Vapor- I'm sorry you were disappointed after waiting so patiently for your first bloom, but still a lovely rose!

Lynn- that's such a beautiful bouquet!! Wonderful combination of colors.

Minshen- congrats on your first bloom from floral fairy tale! It looks wonderful with the lavender.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

A few first bloom from my growing collection, need more room!!

Life of the party.

Wedding Bells, such a vivid color. I think i like it.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

Above all, again

Tamora, not new but first bloom of the season.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

I went out at 5:30 this morning to look for snails, that seems to be their happy hour and captured over 30 .They were having a party at the corner of cinderblock and Dahlia lane. I even caught 2 having breakfast on my dahlias .

That should slow them down for a while.

What a way to start the morning.

I did manage to get a couple of pictures.

Pope John Paul 2

Plum perfect

Love song

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Fiji

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    3 years ago

These are all so beautiful!!! Today I am calling around to find that ediths darling. It is like an itch to scratch ! Gotta get it !!

Kristine, snails absolutely gross me out . I throw them in the road so they can get run over . Their shells are amazing but that’s as far as my admiration goes . And my neighbors too tried to share their vine (similar to ivy , woody but different leaf ) . I finally got the courage to ask them to ask their “gardener” to cut it back and they did . I’m glad I asked bc I can’t scale the wall like this guy can. He’s like a ninja !

I so hate to do it but I’ll start a new thread. I hope people check on and admire these pics here too . I’d hate for them not to get admired ! :)

• CeresMer Zone 7a NJ
    3 years ago

@lynne CA Zone 9B you borders are gorgeous! love the roses. What is the little white flower you have planted with? Looks great together

3 years ago

Deborah — I’m glad you gave Olivia another try and that she seems to be performing well for you this time at least. Shes absolutely amazing in my garden and such an easy going one too.

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    3 years ago

Carol thank you very much! you are always very kind。Hope you have wonderful rose season!

Menshin, love your Earth Angel, mine is almost white

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    3 years ago

CeresMer,Thank you. IT is Alyssum, perennial in CA

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Dirt - are you sure that's Wedding Bells? Yours looks coral instead of pink. And the petals look wrong. But then, I could be wrong. :) It is a beauty nonetheless!!! Oooooh...man I love your Tamora!!!

Kristine - that's a LOT of snails. Ewwww....I detest them. Blech. I love their address....LOL Wowza, I love your Love Song!!!! Gorgeous!! But I think I love your Fiji the best!!

Lilyfinch - shudder...I hate snails too!!!

Lynne - thanks for sharing your photos and for the good rose wishes. :) :)

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

Rosecanadian- thanks for your comments on tamora, i almost got rid of her because of reviewers claiming her blooms shatter quickly but here they seem to last. That shot is day four .

As far as wedding Bells, that is my very first bloom. It actually is more pink than camera picked up and it does have that so called cherry candy smell that people mention but who knows. I purchased her from Northlands last year.

3 years ago

DD, that just show sometimes one just has to try it for oneself. Besides the colour, it looks like a good one to slot in a small space. How is it for BS for you? I think you don't spray?

• Bc _zone10b
    3 years ago

Thought I would post some new photos since some of these roses are showing lots of growth finally :)

Crown Princess Margareta....growing very big, very fast. But I like how her flowers are all different shades of yellow to orange to salmons.

Moonlight in Paris - Figured I'd try to train her as a climber along my fence with all the other climbers. She seems happy but we'll see

Carding Mill...one of my favorites, the flowers are all over the place with subtle pinks and bold oranges

Colette - One of the tiniest plants I found a month or two ago, was not happy for a bit after planting her (should have grown her roots longer in her pot)...but won't stop flowering now and leaves are finally looking better. Very tiny blooms but pretty ones.

This may be a ridiculous question...but do roses flowers get larger as the plant gets larger? Or are some flowers just much smaller than other types no matter the plant size? I have to admit, I kind of like the small, quarter size flowers on this one so far

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

Beautiful photos brendan! I want to to give CPM a try some day she just gets to big for the space i have at the moment but she is a favorite.

Vap- so far i have had zero black spot on wedding Bells this year or last but last year it only produced one bud and a squirrel got it before it opened.

Here is another photo from today.

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

And here's Poseidon

I love this rose and it has put on some good size this year so far.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Brendan, your roses are just lovely. I particularly like the delicate coloring of Moonlight in Paris, and, of course, I love Colette, which is one I grow, too. Mine is a number of years old and quite large. You asked if bloom size increased with the rose size as is grows. Maybe some, but roses have a basic size determined by their genetics, and Colette's blooms will always be fairly small sized--but you will get many, many blooms as she grows larger. When the heat of summer hits, some roses produce smaller sized blooms with fewer petals, but there is an inherent bloom size that each plant is going to maintain most of the time.

Dirt Digger, what a gorgeous bloom from your Poseidon. Diane

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Diane, my Colette is adorable all thanks to you.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Sheila, the blooms on your Colette are much prettier than those on my rose after all the rotten weather we've had. Yours have such a great color, and she's so cute in her "crib". I can't wait to see her grow up, and how you'll train her (mine's an untrained hellion--ha). Diane

• Bc _zone10b
    3 years ago

Diane, great to know about bloom size and plant variety. I like Colettes smaller flowers, they’re a nice contrast to some of the bigger blooms near her :)

Sheila, your Colette is so beautiful and healthy looking! I love the rich pinks in the flowers.

Dirt digger- that picture of your Poseidon has convinced me to get a couple for next season. How big has your overall plant gotten? I’ve read that they stay compact, but also read that they’ll get giant. That’s why I wasn’t so quick to get one this year, I like to make sure sizing works around my yard

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

Brendon- unfortunately I do not know how big Poseidon will be. I have read four feet but I purchased mine last year as a band from northland.

It did not put on any substantial growth last year but survived winter unscathed, this spring I just tip pruned and has done great. It is now about two feet tall about one and a half feet wide with a nice full bush.

However i like it so much i had actually ordered a second one this season but it was to small and Andrew from northland was uncomfortable shipping it out at that size, so hopefully next year.

• Bc _zone10b
    3 years ago

DirtDigger - Glad to hear it survived winter.. I have to worry about that being in upstate NY. It looks like such a unique color, and your picture of the flower really highlights that with the lighter outer petals, and that rich lavender towards the middle. It's beautiful. Definitely going to try to find a couple for next season.

• Bc _zone10b
    3 years ago

Deborah, your delphinium is amazing! I have about 9 of these, different varieties I purchased from my local nursery this year, but have no idea what to do with. They're so beautiful, hopefully some day they'll look like yours. Is yours in full sun or part shade? I love it with the other flowers/greenery around it.

3 years ago

Hi Brendon — I actually just saw @roserobin_gw ’s poseidon in her stunning garden in person yesterday. Poseidon‘s definitely more than 4 feet tall there. I’d say closer to 6 feet tall and maybe 3 feet wide? But again we are in very different zones.

A very upright and super pretty rose, though. I’m adding it to my list to buy this fall.

• Bc _zone10b
    3 years ago

Minshen, sounds beautiful! I have a few spaces for some tall, larger bushes and would love a lavender color like Poseidon :) I'll try to give him a shot next year. Wish I knew of some rose gardens to visit up here. It's great that you're able to see others and hear their methods for growing these. I'm quickly falling in love with roses after all this work getting them in :)

• PRO
    Dirt Digger Z6NH
    3 years ago

Poseidon didn't have any cane damage after winter even though this winter was mild, I really didn't do much at all for protection so i would definitely give it a try in upstate new york. It really is a beautiful rose.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living