SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilyfinch

Summer 2020 : beauty all around us

Wahooo summer is officially here!! I can’t wait to see everyone’s photos and life updates . Even if you are in between things we want to hear how you are doing !! I hope everyone has a safe and beautiful summer.

Comments (544)

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thanks, Nola. I'll try to track your peony, too. But I am interested in what name you can find. Augusta also blooms in different colors, and it's entirely unpredictable--it's one of the things I like about this rose. Heat doesn't bother her, and I've got a bunch of pics of her blooming during our latest heat wave to prove it. I just to need to get them filed. I love Life of the Party, too, and think Brendan's rose is the best looking one I've seen in photos so far. Are you growing it yet? The purple rose is Twilight Zone, my favorite purple.

Thanks, Flowers, but I think your roses are pretty spectacular. I haven't seen a photo of one that isn't. And I do have three duds at this point, which I whine about all the time, as you know. Crunchy, alias Brother Cadfael, which I thought was getting better until the heat came on; The Prince, wimp of the century; he puts out gorgeous blooms and buds, only to have them destroyed by terminal thrips and heat; and Olivia Rose, which I won't say anything about because I know many love her and have great success with this rose. I want to move Rouge Royale, as you know, to a better spot, which won't happen until I get rid of at least one of my three duds.

Nola, here is a Twilight Zone pic. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Related Discussions

All Summer Beauty

Q

Comments (9)
    ASB is not intensely pigmented and is known for being a lighter blue/pink. My ES are a very deep blue/violet. It's not just the plant alone, but rather a combination of the plant's natural pigmentation and the soil ph that make for the final color outcome. I was told by Wilkerson Mills nursery that the more heavily pigmented the plant (ie Enziandom) the less likely it is to repeat-bloom. ASB is also not one of the larger hydrangeas at about 3.5 x 3.5 (ish).....yg
    ...See More

All Summer Beauty question

Q

Comments (13)
    Jim, If it makes you feel any better only 1 out of 5 of my new hydrangeas are blooming or even showing buds. 3 were planted last year and two this year, one of these two is in bloom. The hydrangea 'experts' around here told me exactly what gardengal48 said and to not expect much the first 'full' year or two they are in the ground, by the third look out :-) I also bought them all in small 1 gal pots. I have a feeling it will surprise you, just not right now. SCG
    ...See More

How to prevent budkill on All Summer Beauty?

Q

Comments (6)
    "I fertilized it every year." This may be your problem. Have you done a soil test and does your soil lack some nutrients? Many plants, if overfertilized will only put out vegetative growth, not flowers. Michael Dirr, in Hydrangeas for American Gardens says, "too much nitrogen produces long, extended shoots that my not set the normal quantity of flower buds . . . " He suggests planting hydrangeas in soil to which lots of organic matter has been added and using slow release fertilizers at half the recommended rate on the package. That said, I don't grow "All Summer Beauty" but do grow two other remontant cultivars of H. macrophylla, 'Endless Summer' and 'Penny Mac,' as well as H. arborescens 'Annabelle.' They are planted in well-rotted manure (several years old before the plants were put in) and mulched, but not fertilized in three growing seasons. They have bloomed reliably all except the first year or two when they were busy growing roots more than putting energy into blooms.
    ...See More

Summer Recipes for all of us to enjoy

Q

Comments (2)
    Okay, heres a side dish or appetizer 3- large tomatos 2- ripe avacados 4- sprigs fresh basil 4- sprigs fresh mint I package fresh mozzerella, it comes in a ball shape or you could use shredded I guess. olive oil and vinegar or any italian dressing garlic powder I cut the tomato into slices and arrange on a plate. cut mozzeralla thinly and lay over tomato add a piece of avacado and cut up herbs drizzle dressing or olive oil mix with diced herbs and a few pinches of garlic salt over the top and chill before serving. It's yummy! It's also great wrapped in a piece of romaine lettuce as a summer sandwich for the dieter. sorry about not having exact amounts, I don't measure anything
    ...See More
  • DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Diane, you're killing me!!! I'm still waiting for my TZ to look like this. I have it right next to my White Licorice (which is yellow, not white) so I can enjoy this color combo...

3 years ago

Flowers...get thee behind me!!! ;-)

• Nola z5aWI
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Diane, I'll let you know on the Peonies, I think I may have it in an old garden file. Is the patent on those 20 years do you know? Otherwise, I can send you some roots. I'm not growing Life of the Party, as I have run out of room in my garden. Now, what rose can I do without? Hmmm... I love Twilight Zone too (how tall is yours?), mine is not near as large as yours. Munstead is my favorite but it's gonna have some competition because I've got more rich purple going in... so we'll see next summer. Lol Your Julia Child's set off your house perfectly!! You know how it is when you order roses and then some of them get bad reviews before you've even planted them, and you wish you'd made a different choice but already spent the money so you plant them and they never make your heart go pit-a-pat? It's all over now but the cryin!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Nola, do you know about dividing peonies? I have some 100 yrs old Jules Elie and some newer ones I'd like to spread about, but am afraid to do it and ruin them possibly. You're way more experience than I am, but one thing I've learned is that roses do very differently for me than in others' gardens, so I take a chance. Live and learn. I really need to prep the bed for the "cast-offs" down below where they'll be lovely for their first flush and I don't have to look at them afterwards! : ))

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    3 years ago

I keep forgetting this thread is still alive. I think this is a first that we have kept two seasonal threads going simultaneously.

I've never divided peonies, but I have moved them at any old time of year and they always bloom the following year. I don't think they're as particular as people think. I watched a You Tube video on dividing them once, and it was extremely complicated. Personally, I'd just take a knife and slice through and replant. If it was special or a family heirloom, I'd probably follow directions.

I want to move Paul Bocuse before winter. He's in total shade from the Bonny arbor, which has gotten out of hand. I just ordered a long handled pruner so I can try to get her back in some kind of order. Can't get through that arbor without crawling. She is one of the most vigorous roses I've ever encountered. I guess she's not popular because she's once blooming, but as for cold zone hardiness, stand back, and give her room.

Deborah, you made me laugh. Seriously, Augusta is that good. I'd take as many as I could stuff in the beds, but Palatine limits us to one a year. I mistakenly got 2, due to the site crashing and having to make several calls, but all that is right and good and fair took over, and one died.

Diane, TZ is my favorite purple, too. Mine is still tiny from getting hit by the flame thrower. It is one tall cane that blooms it's little heart out. He'll never be big and robust, but I love that little guy.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Diane - that Twilight Zone!!!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Flowers, it's called karma (about losing one of the Augustas). Seriously, I felt very bad about the loss of that rose because I knew your weather can be harsh, and I was afraid you'd lose both Augusta plants. How is yours doing now in the heat? Mine was in the middle of a big flush when the 100s struck. She's held up well, but has a lot of crunchies to be removed. As usual, Brother Cadfael had another flush which was immediately annihilated by the heat. You have just put an idea into my slow thinking brain. I should use my telescoping pruners when trimming my wild lady, Colette. Do you use those or just long handled ones (I have those, too, but they're not long enough)? I refuse to get up on step ladders..... This thread is called the "zombie" thread--it will not die, and it's fine with me. About dividing peonies--all the antique peonies I received 15 years ago from my friend came from her father's garden (he's the man who lived to be a 100, and the peonies, brunnera, and other stuff came from his garden before he moved. Everything came originally from his in laws, probably in the 1940s). I digress. These peonies had been dug up, divided into about thirds, and out of the ground for days. Yet, they came up fine when I planted them. Peonies are so tough, but they don't like to be buried too deeply. I think that's where people run into trouble. I read a long while back about a woman who moved to an old farm and started cleaning up the garden area and yard. After things had been watered and the overgrowth removed, peonies started coming up through the now bare dirt. She believed they were just waiting for better times, and when those times arrived, up came the ancient peonies. I wish I could remember where I read that.

Nola, do you think your peonies are Kansas? I love that one. Diane

• Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

I didn’t realize this thread was still going! I read a lot of posts before I got to the ones I had already read. That’s when I realized this is the Summer thread part one. My phone is only letting me in through the Houzz app, so the most recently posted comments were on top.

It‘s been fun reading all that I have missed, although I haven’t read the second summer thread lately either. I’m so behind that I figured I’d post here, where it’s not as busy. I love seeing the beautiful peonies! I sure wish I could grow them. I did try some many years ago, but it was way too much work for very few blooms. I chose the earliest blooming varieties I could find, and piled ice cubes on them all winter. I was successful in getting a few blooms, but I soon grew tired of doing that every day for months. Why do we always want to grow what isn’t suitable for our zones? I’m that way, and I know a few others are too. The blooms that don’t grow in our areas just seem so unique and special. I’d like to try a tree peony some day, but they are SO expensive! My local nursery carries nice big ones that do bloom every year. They cost about $150, though. That’s half a months water bill for me at the rate I’m paying this summer. It’s been SO stink’n hot! I water and do my outside work in the dark lately. It hasn’t been cooling down at night like it normally does. I really don’t like that! It’s been a full time job just keeping my pot ghetto alive with constant watering.

I sure love that Royal Jubilee! What a beautiful rose. I love the color and bloom shape. I was afraid that one wouldn’t do very well in my heat, but Sarah bought it while visiting me a few years ago and brought it home to Bakersfield. I’ve seen some lovely pictures of her JC blooming away.

Life of the Party really appeals to me too. I did see one for sale locally, but I didn’t buy it for some reason or another. I probably remembered that I don’t have room, and still have plenty of roses to plant out.

Thanks to my new neighbors, the shaded 1/3 of my slope isn’t shaded anymore. What a shock! I know some roses will eventually be happier once they get over their shock. Talk about the worst timing ever! It’s hotter than it’s been all year with no end in sight. My bed against the fence on that side no longer gets that fabulous afternoon shade, either. So much for the hostas, astilbes, and such that I was so happy with. (Those aren’t normally grown in So CA, so I always considered them “special plants“.)

One rose that is happy about the missing afternoon shade is Leveson Gower. Mine was always happy in a pot, but it was never as good once I planted it out in that afternoon shade area. I should have known better. It’s definitely a heat lover.

Diane, I always love seeing your AL. Mine is still looking pretty lurid, and I don’t dare plant her big old self in the ground. I’m too afraid she’ll still be a neon orange, and be way too hard to remove. I have seen mine bloom some lovely softer colors when the temps were milder. I’m going to see how much she blooms during the cooler months. She sure is a BIG girl. You warned me, but I thought she might stay small in a pot. Apparently, she wants to be big no matter what she’s in. I can’t imagine how big she’d be here if I put her in the ground! My Molineux is easily over 6F, so AL would surely be enormous. I’m just waiting to see how she does. Boscobel has been brighter than usual in this heat, but gets a little lighter after the first day. Boscobel sure likes this hot weather. It’s not on the drip line, so Bosco suffered a little while I wasn’t able to hand water. The new foliage looks great now I’ve been hand watering everything that needs it.

Flower’s, do you grow Mary Magdalene? I’ve always wanted her, but I have never been able to find her anywhere. She’s not a big girl, is she? No more big girls allowed around here! I can only consider little ones, not that I have any business considering any roses at all. I’m not super happy with my Cornelia anymore. She’s so messy and sprawling looking. I just don’t have the energy or desire to maintain her the way she needs to look good. She’s on the slope in a very tricky spot that I already had trouble tending to back when my balance, strength, and health were much better than it is now. I have only dared to go halfway up the slope on the side that isn’t as steep, so far. I managed to trim and tidy up Pomponella Monday night. Pomponella is another one that wants to be a big girl. I love Pomponella, but I must prune her heavily 3-4 times a year. Jen(Lilyfinch) pruned Evelyn on the slope when she was here. I wish I could give her some fertilizer, but I don‘t dare with the high temperatures we’re having. Maybe I should put some good compost in a bucket and have someone climb up there to spread around Evelyn’s root zone. That wouldn’t burn her, but I don’t know if it would encourage blooming. Hopefully, that will set her up for a nice flush once the temperature comes down a little. She normally responds very well here to a pruning, feeding, and some extra watering.

Hi Trish! How have you been? I read somewhere that your daughter is busy with the two dogs, and I hope she’s doing well. I sometimes contemplate what might be going on with your roses. It must be frustrating. Is there some sort of professional that could come take a look and take some samples or something? I suppose a service like that could be found, but the cost might be outrageous. Am I correct in understanding that ONLY roses are affected by this mysterious problem?

I’m getting tired, and I don’t dare try to add pictures to this long post. It’s too frustrating when everything disappears forever. Oh! How could I forget to mention that I finally got to hold my little granddaughter, Cooper Rose. It was SO wonderful and I’m going back for more tomorrow. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

Boscobel, with the newer blooms below the older, lighter bloom.

The amazing, always blooming “Not Louise Odier-maybe Grandmother’s Hat” never lets me down, not even in this heatwave.

Leveson Gower is happy in the now blazing sun spot. Not much else is.

I hope these show up🤞Lisa

3 years ago

Lisa, you sure saved the best for last. That was what I was hoping to hear. Holding a tiny baby in your arms is the best, and when it's your grand baby, well, there's just no way to describe the feeling. I'm thrilled for you. And, it just gets better every year. Wait until you drive up and see that little face watching for you in the window. Then running to jump in your arms and hug you. Grandchildren are a gift.

You asked about Mary Magdalene. She is a great rose and I do love the creamy white with touches of pink, peach and yellow. Softly cupped blooms open flat, which not everyone likes, but the colors are so soft and pretty, I don't care how it opens. With our new humidity, she got black spot so I stripped her of all those ugly leaves. It's drier now and I hope she will grow back and bloom again before winter. She was even floppier than Young Lycidas her first year, but she's now a nicely rounded shrub. I would buy her again. The first one I ever saw was posted by April Scott here on Easter Sunday, and I thought it was such an appropriate day to post a pic of Mary Magdalene. She's an old one, but I think still readily available.

I think Jubilee Celebration would do great for you, although it would get big, because even mine is big. Her blooms are good during 100˚+ heat.

How about some Cooper Rose pics, please? Take care of yourself. It's so nice to see you post. How are the kitties?

3 years ago

Your photos just popped up. You have some glorious blooms in the heat. Boscobel looks very happy. I bet Leveson G gets bigger now that he has more sun. My really-is-Louise Odier is still waiting to go in the ground. I'm just not sure where to plant her because no one can pin down her size. 3 to 10 feet is quite a range. Northland estimates about 5' here, so I'm going with that. It was such a little wimp of a thing, Carol didn't want to sell it. I know it wants to be planted. I have better luck sticking them right in the ground. I hope it looks like yours, only smaller. I would love to grow Grandmother's Hat, so I can pretend that's what it is.

3 years ago

Diane, no one grows Augusta like you, and I don't expect mine to ever compare, but she looks healthy. She black spotted in our new humidity, so I removed those leaves, but she still has plenty of healthy leaves. She responds to lots of water. I should have planted her next to Jude so I can drown them both at the same time. She likes water as much as fertilizer. Her blooms are only a little smaller during the heat. I lost the other Augusta by leaving her in the bucket of water too long. Spring is our rainy season, and that's always a problem - the ground is too soupy to dig a hole or plant.

Speaking of Jude, I believe he heard me mention shovel. He perked right up and bloomed more this year than all his previous years put together. Funny how that happens.

I've never used telescoping or long handled pruners before, so this will be new to me. I ordered some that were recommended on another thread awhile back. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KL4LVI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently not much good for anything but roses since they don't cut through thick wood, but Bonny's canes are very thin and the laterals are almost thread-like. Colette has thicker canes, so check about that. But, yes! You should use something like this and NO ladders. My husband missed the last step on a ladder last week and hit the concrete on his bum, then hit his head on the snow blade. He was way up in the peak of the barn roof installing a light. Just before that, he fell in one of he enormous holes he was digging for roses in an area that has a layer of something dense about 2' down that prevents drainage. Shale? Those holes, 16 of them, are all 3 1/2 x 3 1/2'. Some closer to 4' deep. Pretty sure he's never going to want to dig another hole.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Hi Lisa, so good to hear from you. I'm thrilled to hear you got to hold Cooper Rose.

It's clearly a mixed bag about the loss of shade, though mostly negative. If only we had some say in what our neighbours do!

I'm typing this one-handed, as I'm already in bed - not even 8pm, and Rosie is asleep on my other arm. So it will be a short post. Yes, my daughter's life revolves around the dogs, but she's happy. Still no luck on the job front, but she got contacted today by someone who'd previously rejected her, and had an interview for a local job yesterday.

As for my roses, (and yes, it is only the roses), I spoke to a rosarian this week, and she says the die-back is due to weather. I didn't argue, but I don't believe a 6' high and wide rose dies back to the graft in 2 weeks due to weather. Most of my roses are pitiful, and as I've grown the same ones in a previous garden without problems (and here till 5 years ago) I can only put it down to disease. When I've been pruning, the canes are half dead even on the ones that look fairly healthy. I removed the worst canes off Marie van Houtte last week, and am left with about a quarter of the bush I had 5 years ago. Ah well.

Anyway, lovely to see you posting again. I hope that hip hurries up and improves.

• Lisa Adams
    3 years ago

Hi guys! I’m in a hurry to get ready and over to Ingrid’s to see my baby. I’ll post more later. Isn’t she a doll?

Cooper Rose · More Info

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

What a doll, Lisa. I'm so happy for you all.

• Artist-FKA-Novice Zone 7B GA
    3 years ago

What adorable cheekies!

3 years ago

That is too precious, Lisa. So thrilled to read your post. : )

3 years ago

Oh, my goodness! Yes, those cheeks are just asking to be kissed. She's a bundle of sweetness and joy.

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Lisa, she IS adorable!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

I'm glad I checked this thread!!

What an adorable baby!!! And I love how she's dressed. :) She has such beautiful eyes! And I love her healthy, chubby arms!!! So precious!!

Flowers - scary about your husband falling...thank goodness he's okay.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Lisa!! She is so freaking cute ! Isnt being a grandmother the best?

Enjoy kissing that sweet face

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Lisa, she's gorgeous, and looks full of personality.

flowers, I just read the bit about your husband falling. I don't know what a snow blade looks like, but that sounds scary.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Flowers. your poor husband, is he ok ?

3 years ago

Trish, the blade attaches to the truck or ATV to plow the road so you can get to the highway. Count your blessings you don't need to know what they are. The city or county doesn't plow rural roads. He had a big knot on his head and I think he might have broken his tail bone, but since nothing can be done about that, he didn't go to the doc. Too hard to see a dr. these days, so it's just easier not to go.

Kristine, he's fine. Thanks for asking. He recently cut his pant legs to shreds with a chain saw - while he was in them. That was too close for comfort for me. He's kind of like having a teenager.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

So glad your husband is okay flowers!

Lisa, Cooper Rose is such a cutie, I’m so happy for you and your daughter and son-in-law! Little girls are so much fun!

3 years ago

Flowers, that sound terrible. Everyone here needs to stay off ladders and out of holes. I had a wheelbarrow full of mulch crack me in the head last week. Who knew that could even happen? At least I saw the far neighbors' heads pop over their hedge when I yelled a very loud 'OUCH!' They waited till I moved and went back to their business. It hurt, but nothing like hitting a BLADE and a chainsaw@, fgs! I did think twice today about getting up on my stoops roof today to paint and decided it could wait till I have a watcher.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

Vapor, there is an Ohioan needing an opinion on his roses, Louis. He doesn't have his location up yet. See the Sad roses BS thread by Louis.

3 years ago

Vapor, absolutely, if you're going to do it, someone needs to know you're up there. How on earth did a wheelbarrow hit you in the head? Who knew gardening was fraught with such dangers!

3 years ago

NTS!, Don't put a wheelbarrow horizontal to a hill and then sit down in front of it!

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

flowers, the chainsaw near accident is really worrying. Your post about losing Augusta Louise was timely. I had Jaune Desprez soaking in a bucket for longer than I meant, and planted it today. Don't ask me why I bought more roses! Got Mrs BR Cant as well. Apart from the disease, I don't have enough sunny spots, which is why JD was still in the bucket..

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Flowers - sounds like he needs watching over. Oh my!!

Vaporvac - I was wondering too how in the world you managed that. Holy cats! We all have to be more careful. A lot more careful. And getting up on a ladder? What is a watcher going to do but watch you fall. Couldn't you pay someone to do this or get a really long pole? Worry, worry.

How are you doing, Jim? We're missing you.

3 years ago

Trish, I hear ya! There's just no accounting for our love and even need for roses. Fingers and toes crossed your new ones will thrive. I would grow those two if I could. You need a second opinion from another rose expert about your soil condition or whatever it is that's thwarting every effort you make at solving this mystery. An enterprising university student studying botany or plant pathogens might take it on as a challenge for their thesis.

Diane, keep us updated on Clare's bout with the virus. Being young and healthy, I don't expect she will have complications, but it's still a worry. Has she had any trouble getting medical help?

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I last posted here yesterday, and since then, there have been 500 new posts (I think, but it's 2:06 am, and I'm not thinking too well), so I'll do a real post tomorrow. But then I'll be 1000 posts behind. Sigh. I just wanted to tell you, Lisa, that Cooper Rose is a doll, and I'm so happy you are able to see and hold her. This means you are feeling better and not running that pesky fever, right? I hope so, and I hope you are starting to feel like your old self, minus the hip pain.

And Flowers, tell Mr Flowers that he is not to climb up on any more roofs, or run any more chain saws--he is grounded, and only allowed to dig holes. Fer petessake. And Trish, pay attention to Flowers. You need a second opinion. I says so. Clare will be finishing up her quarantine in couple of days, and has been without symptoms for two weeks. So I hope all is well. I'll update you. Take care, everyone, and see you tomorrow. And Jim, if you're out there, please check in. Diane

3 years ago

That's good news, Diane, that Clare is near the end of her ordeal. I can't begin to imagine how frustrating this is for young people College students have so many friends and are so much more social than someone my age. I believe you also said her boyfriend was quarantined. I hope he's doing good and both of them are able to get on with his normal lives very soon.

Mr. Flowers doesn't take kindly to my putting limitations on him, but it might go over better coming from you.

Yes, Jim, let us hear. I hope you have found a place and are busy moving and getting the yard ready to plant lots of roses in the spring.

Temps have dropped to the high 80's for a few days, then 70's are in the forecast. Lots of yard work to make up for that wasn't possible when it was blazing hot. All I could stand to do was water. I hope you are all getting a reprieve from the heat, too.

Two new roses that are similar in some ways. Both start kind of creamsicle, and morph into pink, though Marc C is the pinker of the two. Both are upright but bushy. Came from unlikely places - the grocery store and Lowes, where I've never found any good roses until this year. Blooms have held up well in the heat, with Marc C having a slight edge.
    Peach S has the edge on fragrance. I'm not good at describing scents, but it's very nice. Both have around 25 buds at present, and have already been deadheaded twice. I'm extremely pleased with both. If they are winter hardy, they will have passed every test.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - that's great to hear that Claire is almost finished her quarantine! Phew...what a relief!

Flowers - Oh my!!!! Your Peach Swirl is gorgeous!!! I really, really want to find that rose!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Wowowowow, Seriously gorgeous, Flowers. I am seriously jealous. and these are from big boxes. (What's it like to get out and shop?). I would love to grow both of these roses. Your photography is superb, too. I do hope Mr. Flowers pays attention to you. There comes a time when you just have to face the facts that you don't have that good sense of balance anymore. It took three serious accidents at the roller rink for my step dad to stop rolling skating. The last accident nearly killed him, and he was ordered by the doc to never skate again. Step dad was about 80, and had been a terrific skater all his life. He hated to give up one of his favorite activities. As you can guess, this was many decades ago--ha. Anyway, how about some more photos of your gorgeous roses?..... Actually, it was work where Clare probably picked up the virus. She had been seriously quarantining (and her fiance, too), except for that part time, hated job. Masks didn't help, I guess, in this case. Jemma started her online college classes Wed and seems to like them. At least she has a schedule, and she's the organized, engineer type that wants a schedule. I'm glad Clare is through with undergrad studies, but her bf still has a semester to go. I hope he doesn't have any in person classes during that time. It's still in the 90s here, but the 100s left day before yesterday. Take care everyone. Diane

3 years ago

Moonlight in Paris

Distant Drums

Cupcake Blush Cosmos

I really shouldn't be posting at all here since I'm now in panic mode about all my deadlines and starting back teaching online...but I popped in quickly and saw that some of you are really going through the proverbial wringers. Prayers for Clare and Jim and Mr. Flowers and Lisa and so many others. I think the heat wave is supposed to lessen starting today in CA, but then there will probably be more lightning as that tropical storm pushes instability over the west...Air quality where I am is not even in the news, but it is awful. Can't imagine how awful for others. The new "normal" in CA is constant wildfires, I guess. 2020 has not been a banner year. Some good news -- my roses have loved the heat (though my water bill will be horrendous, even with using my washing machine gray water and the last of my rain water barrels). Speaking of barrels, I had to make a video intro for our retreat coming up -- so I sped it up and then added the music of the beer barrel polka. It's just short of a Benny Hill sketch now. It features me running all over the house gathering my face masks and face shields and then putting them all on. But not all. I wasn't up for that kind of torture.

Roses above -- I cannot say enough good things about Moonlight in Paris. At first I was a tiny bit disappointed that I wasn't getting the peachy color others were, but I guess this heat really brought out the peachy/apricot/pink! In cooler weather it was a lovely, creamy, yellow like organic sweet cream butter. It's super healthy, vigorous, unfazed by heat. Something is chewing holes in the leaves, though. And someone asked about Distant Drums, but maybe that's another thread. This one is doing so well, too. And my cupcake blush cosmos from Floret seeds. So pretty.

Hopefully I can duck in again soon. Stay well, all. Be good.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

flowers, those are gorgeous. Was it Cori Ann who raved about Peach Swirl? Such a pity we've lost her. A cautionary tale for Mr Flowers... Don't read the next paragraph - just show it to Mr Flowers.

A chap over the road, and around 70, was on a high ladder with an electric saw, trimming his bamboo hedge. He stumbled and ended up almost severing his foot. This was over a year ago, and he still limps around slowly.

Diane, that's good that Clare has no symptoms any more. And that Jemma has some structure.

Deborah, great to see you pop in. Your video sounds hilarious! Moonlight in Paris and Distant Drums are lovely. DD gets my vote every time, and I never would have thought I'd like those colours. I like your cupcake cosmos too. The seeds are even available here!

My daughter's been offered a job finally, but the pay is abysmal, and it's 4 hour shifts, which involve at least one and a half hours of travel. Still, it's something.

3 years ago

Oh, my goodness! I promise I wasn't liquored up when I wrote that first paragraph above. What a mess.

Diane, I obeyed all the rules for the first few weeks. I probably haven't taken it as seriously as I should. I do take the supplements said to strengthen the immune system (D3, C and zinc) and I don't get in anybody's face. Going to the nursery keeps me sane. I hope you can get out and about soon and see your friends.

Mr. Flowers said you were right. No more ladders. But, not because of potential accidents. He has bursitis in his hips and says climbing ladders is the worst. I added that you said digging holes was still ok. Not sure if he appreciated that.

Deborah, I have the same thoughts about Moonlight in Paris. Another truly beautiful new rose this year, at least new to me. I'm sure HalloBlondie had it last year in Ontario. Mine had the peachy pink tones a couple months ago, and is more of a creamy yellow now. Very pretty either way. Lowes came through this year and made up for lost time.

I might have been the one who asked about Distant Drums. Everyone loves it, even when they didn't think they would. Straw said there is an entire bed of DD at a public garden that she says takes your breath away. So far, it just doesn't call to me, but might be one of those that's better in person. Your Cupcake Cosmos are so sweet. I just told my daughter those are the ones she should grow because they obviously do great in SoCal.

Hope you make your deadlines and all the school stuff goes well. I hope you can get back in the classroom soon. I wish we could see your video...... My granddaughter teaches middle school special needs. i honestly don't know how she does that online.

Thank you for thinking about Mr. Flowers. He thanks you for the prayers and asked for you to keep it up because he says he feels great.

3 years ago

Trish, well, of course I read the paragraph about the man and the chainsaw. But, I will show it to Mr. Flowers. He'll roll his eyes, but I know he will take it to heart. That incident did scare him. He came and sat in the garden where I was too busy to look up. He had to tell on himself and needed some sympathy. When I did look up and saw his pants, I could hardly believe my eyes.

I'm so glad your daughter found something, even if it's not her dream job. You never know - it could lead to something better, and it will keep her busy until she finds what she's looking for.

Yes, it was Cori Ann who grew a beautiful Peach Swirl. I always figured if it did so well in her climate, it wouldn't be happy here, but so far, so good.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - so true!!! We have to be careful...we don't want to break a hip and have to go live in a nursing home.

Deborah - that's so funny with you and your polka song running around! :) Good luck with your busy schedule. Your MiP is swoons-ville!!! And I adore those little cupcake tin cosmos!! Adorable!!

Titian - yes, as we age, we get ever clumsier...well at least I do. LOL It's so easy to change the rest of our lives by doing something we know we shouldn't do. I guess a job is a job. My daughter is making $17.50/hour working at a museum as an assistant curator. Sigh. Fabulous marks in university, then fabulous marks in a museum school...sigh. But, like you said...at least she has a job. But we've ended up helping her make ends meet.

Flowers - excellent that Mr. Flowers is done with ladders...I love it that you told him digging holes is still okay. LOL LOL

Temps are finally going down. 25C/77F tomorrow. Still a little on the hot side. But I'll gladly take it. :)

3 years ago

Thanks, Flowers and Carol. Diane, inspired by you & Lisa, everytime I dead-head the cupcake cosmos I throw the flowers exactly where I want new ones next year. We'll see if any of the seeds survive.

Speaking of hips, I started doing a new hip exercise that leaves me sore. I haven't had "issues" with hips and don't think I have fragile bones, but I figured I should get them strong while I'm still "young-ish" and my neighbor across the street teaches anatomy and physical therapy classes, so he recommended the exercise. I take an exercise band and put both legs in it -- have the band wrapped around me just below knees. Laying on my side with bent knees, I raise one leg at a time for 20 reps, then roll over and do the other side. I started with 10 reps, and now am up to 20 each side. Then I feel sore the next day. Maybe I'm doing too much. No idea. But hoping I get those hip muscles nice and strong. He said that most of us don't use 2 of the 3 major muscles that support our hips, hence the exercise...

Speaking of Cori Ann -- I miss her! I hope she's well. She was going back to school -- wonder how that's worked out.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Yes, I miss Cori Ann too! I hope things are going well for her. :)

As to the exercises...I would do that maybe twice a week and build up to 3 times/week. But LOL...this guy would know better than I....so did he recommend every day?

3 years ago

Carol -- I should ask what he recommends. I do my "gym" workout (now at home) on MWF mornings, so not everyday. Here's a lovely rose I spied on a UK garden site. I emailed them (Groves) and they said the rose is a "patio rose" - which I think means mini -- and it's called Wonderful News. I don't grow minis, but this sure looks pretty:

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

That looks soooo fun and happy! It has a look that's similar to Priscilla Burton's stippling.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Yogi - what are the roses that you mentioned on another thread that you have ordered for this year?

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Like Carol, I'm curious, too, Yogi.

Deborah, that is indeed a cute and cheery rose--the name is certainly uplifting. I would like Wonderful News in more ways than one. I'm thinking that Europeans are big on the "patio type" roses. Tantau has a lot of nice ones, but I think they use a different name. I'm sure space limitations make these roses popular. I hope your school opening goes off smoothly, and you get all those dreaded tasks done well and quickly. Jemma, freshman granddaughter, is already hating that brain breaker, Western Civilization, which her college is big on, and which connects to other classes. She's already having fits trying to comprehend reading her first assignment written in archaic English. Not sure what the purpose of that was. Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - space saving roses make a lot of sense in Europe...good thinking. Ah yes...Archaic English! My daughter did some of that and she helped a prof with researching for his book on that.