SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turtlegreen

Need help starting my lawn in Colorado Zone 5b

turtlegreen
3 years ago

Hello, I’m looking for some help getting my lawn going. I just purchased a house that has been vacant for four years. As such, the lawn, or I guess I should say the place where the lawn should be, is mostly weeds. I attached some pictures of what it looks like. The back yard is better off than the front yard.

Picture of front lawn

Picture of back lawn

I guess first and foremost, what's the best way of going about this. I assumed using seed is the best cost alternative.

1. What grass seed mix should I use and where’s the best place to get it? The house is in Arvada, CO, which is a suburb of Denver. The lawn will get full sun and be played on by kids and a dog. The other houses in the neighborhood have these really lush lawns and that’s what I’m hoping to achieve.

2. I'm planning on pulling all the weeds. Do I need to use a weed killer of any sort? Would it be necessary to scrape off so much of the soil and bring in new soil? It should already be decent soil as I’m sure the developer brought soil in when they first planted the lawn. The back lawn has a lot of grass in it. Do I add seed to this?

3. Can I get a lawn going from seed in the summer? Or do I need to wait now until the fall?

Basically, what would you do to get a nice, lush lawn established?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)