SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovefornature

Need Lots of Info for Salvia in Zone 5B

lovefornature
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am in Zone 5B IL.

I am really into Hummingbirds and gained some interest in Salvia plants recently.

I went to Lowe's and found something called Salvia Spendens (they are red). Stupid question: but do Salvia Spendens attract hummingbirds?? All it states on the card is Upright Annual/Spike-like flowers, fragrant foilage when crushed.

I went to a my closest garden center (more reputable) and picked up the very last Lady in Red that they had and also grabbed two Nymph Coral Salvia's. I know these will work well for hummers.

Also in this garden center (placed in another area), I seen some other Salvia's but they were only marked "Salvia Dark Burgandy" or "Salvia Light Red" etc. Would these work for attracting Hummingbirds?

I also would like to know if there are any other well known Salvia's around this area that could possibly be purchased at Upper Scale Garden Centers)? Some purpulish would be nice.

I do not know, but are there any Salvia's that are perennial in my area?

Tons of questions, I know, I am sorry, trying to learn what I can here since it seems not too many people grow Salvia in my area.......they are absolutely beautiful and I want hummingbirds to enjoy them.

Any other info you can think of would be appreciated.

Thanks and sorry so long :)

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services