SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auntannie123

need help in living room arrangement

auntannie123
3 years ago

Please help me arrange this living room . The room is rectangular with 2 windows , 2 door openings and an electric fireplace that needs to stay . I can’t seem to make a good conversation area without everything being bunched up in the center of the room . I tried putting the fireplace at the end of the room which created a great way to position the furniture but also covered a window and lost natural light . I will be looking to purchase new furniture so I’m open to any ideas . Thanks so much !

Comments (74)

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This was how the room looked when I moved the FP and covered the window

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My pleasure. :)

Yes, the layout with fireplace on that single window wall was so much better. Perfect coverage with the mirror there, too. Also beautiful with mirror reflecting chandelier. Looks so much better and I’m sure it felt a lot better.

It just is what it is - in terms of that long wall really being the best place for the sofa. It will be interesting to see how fireplace might work in that corner. But if you needed to put it in front of window again, like you had it before, it‘s great to have that option. If you wanted to compensate for the light, maybe flank mirror with a couple of sconces.

and/or bring in a fun new floor lamp. :)

Artiva USA Hollywood 63" LED Tripod Floor Lamp With Dimmer, Satin Nickel · More Info

auntannie123 thanked freedomplace1
  • Related Discussions

Need help with living/TV room arrangement

Q

Comments (1)
    You're on the right track, but switch the chair and the smaller couch in your diagram so that they form an L (with an end table at the corner, reading lamp) facing the TV and fireplace and encompassing both...
    ...See More

Need help with arranging furniture for long living room

Q

Comments (4)
    For your space, yes you need a bigger rug with all the furniture on the rug. If the rusty red pillows are your accent color, maybe find a neutral rug with that also as an accent. You can keep this layout and add two chairs under the window with a table in between. Or you could move the love seat under the window and add a chair diagonally across as an accent chair. You need some artwork or photos or something above the sofa. Is this room just for reading/ conversation or is there a TV? Do you need any shelving for books or storage or display items? Good luck!
    ...See More

Help needed - Living room furniture/decor arrangement!

Q

Comments (18)
    As far as arranging furniture with the columns, I would tend to ignore them and group seating around the fireplace. You are always in good company with a more flexible 3-seat sofa and two upholstered armchairs (or swivels.) I think a sectional will just add another complication to the space. What is opposite the fireplace? Are there any floor outlets near the columns or actually in them? Is there any electrical wiring in the bulkhead above them? They might be interesting if lighted. You could also install some glass shelves between the two that are near the exterior wall. Lighted from the top, that would be a great display for something like colored blown glass. As for the lighting, you can find less expensive variations on those. Scaling them for your room size will also lower the price somewhat.
    ...See More

Need help with living room arrangement

Q

Comments (5)
    That centered pattern on the rug would work better under a dining table, IMO. It is a bit skimpy for the sectional as well. The coffee table is too large and the table on the stairwell wall is too small. It should be 75% as wide as the wall area. As for a credenza, it may block up the walkway too much. Consider instead a pair of matching consoles or chests flanking the fireplace under the two windows. Personally, I would rather have TV on the wall, but you'd need a glare free one or light blocking window treatments.
    ...See More
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

you are right , It sure did feel better . I mentioned to my husband over the weekend that I could get sconces to help with lighting if I do put the fireplace on that wall . I also will try it in that corner too . Thanks !

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

When you come into the room, you should flick on the chandelier and then the table and floor lamps, afterward turn on the accent lighting (sconces, uplights under plants, and art lights above art.) Then dim down the chandy. The arrangement with the FP covering the window is your best one, but you have to provide more light from different sources. When you're ready to invest in more furniture, I suggest a pair of chests or tables flanking the FP with lamps on them. Also, I would not do a loveseat if you replace your furniture. They are boogers to arrange. Unless you want to make an "L" with the sofa, they just never look right and rarely seat more than one person unless you have a courting couple there all the time. Consider investing in a larger rug.

auntannie123 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • lbk01
    3 years ago

I have actually covered a window with furniture before to accommodate a specific placement and flow in a room. From the outside it looked like blinds were always closed and inside you’d never know there was a window behind an armoire. Worked great and still had plenty of light with the 2nd window in the room. Sometimes a girl has to do what a girl has to do! 😁

auntannie123 thanked lbk01
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks guys ! that makes me feel better . I Thought I was the only one who dared to cover a window. I have people telling me they would never cover a window. I’m not a fan of the loveseat either . It’s on its way out lol . I love the idea of tables of chests on each side of the fireplace . When I had the fireplace in that position I found this picture and loved it.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

the picture won’t load but I have one with side tables on each side of FP and it caught my eye . Very attractive . Also thanks for The visual On rugs . I’m always confused about what size is best

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Just read your thread. I have to say I like the room with the fireplace on the window wall as well. I would put the loveseat in an L shape with the sofa and pull the wing chair forward just a bit to cozy the arrangement up. You could add sconces on either side of the mirror or if you add chests, add artwork with picture lights above them. You could also add a plant with an uplight to one corner.

auntannie123 thanked katinparadise
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am loving these ideas guys ! I think if I do put the FP in front of that window and add chests , lighting , artwork ect .. I can make that wall look great !

• dianabythelocks
    3 years ago

follow...

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

one question on the chests . the picture I seen the chests filled the space from the FP to the wall , almost mimicking built ins . Do you think it’s necessary to have them fill the space ? i will I have 5 ft on each side

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I think you could get away with something around 48" or so.

• partim
    3 years ago

A room is so much more pleasant when the light from windows comes from more than one direction. No way would I cover a window. I don't know if you have heard of A Pattern Language, a classic book on architecture, among other things.

http://www.patternlanguage.com/apl/aplsample/apl159/apl159.htm

You could put your fireplace in the corner, or flat against the wall beside the window.

auntannie123 thanked partim
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok guys . I took the suggestion and moved the FP to the corner . This isnt bad at all ! It would be my number 1 arrangement if I choose to not cover that end window . The love seatmay need tweaking a little . I would probably get 2 matching chairs in place of the chair and loveseat I currently have .

One problem I have how do you put mirror or artwork above the fireplace ? There is no flat wall to hang anything on and it’s too far away to prop . You guys that suggested this position

please help . It’s a large fireplace . 62 “ so that gives me a large space behind it .

Sorry guys . The picture wont load . I will try again tomorrow . I appreciate all of the suggestions .

• partim
    3 years ago

Is it too wide to fit flat beside the window? That is a wide fireplace. I calculate it touches the wall at 44" on either side from the corner. Plus the depth of the fireplace.

I don't think you'll be able to put anything on the wall behind it. Looking forward to seeing your picture.

You're absolutely set on having this particular fireplace in this room? Seems like it's causing a lot of problems.

• marylut
    3 years ago

Hi, Please don’t paint yet until you have a plan for the room drawn out on paper, then get the new rug, and then get the upholstered pieces to go with the rug colors, and lastly paint color to go with the rug and upholstery. Start by drawing a room layout to scale, including windows and doors and light switches. You say the fireplace is staying. People don’t actually sit and watch a fireplace for long so what else will you do in the room? How often will you use the room? How formal or informal will the decor be? What furniture will you need for your planned activities? How many people will you need to seat? Sectional or sofa and side chairs? Then on your scale drawing, plan the new furniture arrangement and size - starting with the biggest piece and the fireplace. The arrangement on paper will tell you what size rug. Narrow down your rug choices - Fringe or fringeless? 100% Polypropylene without jute if you have pets? Overall pattern if a coffee table will cover up a center medallion? Then buy the furniture. And case goods. And finally, paint.

auntannie123 thanked marylut
  • marylut
    3 years ago

I don’t know room size, but this furniture sits on 8x10 rug.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

You probably already know this, but just to mention, there are electric fireplaces that are designed to fit in corners.

So you would not have that big gap there. But i know you like the one you have and want to work with it.

It’s possible that a change in decor might just be easiest thing. Maybe some simple candlesticks and or a large piece of crystal, for example. Something you can just set on mantle - like in above pic. Every fireplace doesn’t have - and really doesn’t have to have - art or a mirror over it. And maybe the convenience of the fireplace placement will outweigh any decorating limitations. Just let the fireplace itself be the main feature.

But it might be possible to install some kind of corner shelf -

and you may need a couple of pieces put together - in order to fill in the gap and create a solid platform on the mantle. But even with that, you are still dealing with the angle of the corner.

You could hang a piece of art, or an art screen, etc, from the ceiling.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Marylut , thanks for the visual . I wish things worked out in real like they do on paper lol.

my room is 20ft 6” x 14 ft I have already tried both of your suggestions . what I didn’t like about them was when looking / walking into the room from the smaller doorway , the end of the sofa was pretty close to the doorway . It looked too close . I thought maybe it was just something I needed to get used to but my husband mentioned not liking that either . I tried moving the whole arrangement closer to the left of your visual but Of course the whole room was off balance with Most of the furniture on one end of the room

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks freedomplace1 :) I’ve been scouring the internet to see if there was a fix to this problem and found similar items . I have tried sitting lamp / plant / candle sticks on the mantle but honestly they look lost having so much space above and behind them . I really think mirror or art would look the best .

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The FP is didnt look good flat on that wall and is actually a touch too wide . it was over into my window trim . If it stays this here It’s probably going to be touching the window treatments when I get them up . Wonder if that will create a problem ?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I think it’s a great placement, and I think I might lean toward leaving it unadorned. I might just go the Leonardo Da Vinci route: “Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.’’

Really, it’s a great placement. I think it is the best that you have available in your space. And it is what it is... i.e. it’s a large fireplace - angled in the corner. There is going to be space behind it.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Your chandelier is beautiful and is statement size. The candlesticks in the pic above look great just on the coffee table. Honestly, I personally would probably just leave fireplace unadorned - it doesn’t need anything. Or maybe I’d just set down a large piece of rock crystal. Simple.

• anjiz
    3 years ago

I agree with freedomplace1. Also remember that your draperies will fill up some of that empty space in the corner.

auntannie123 thanked anjiz
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Thank you, Anjiz. :)

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I haven’t read through all the comments, so I don’t know what the plans are for draperies, etc. But just want to say that with this fireplace placement between the two windows, I would probably consider doing shades or blinds or no window treatments.

And TBH I think that might work best in your space, in general. Drapes can be beautiful. But they can also be fussy and overly formal. It depends on the space. Plus, you want natural light... so let there be light! :)

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I like the most recent arrangement. You just need drapes on the windows and some art.
    Maybe place a framed family photo or two on the mantel.

auntannie123 thanked felizlady
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone ! I do like the arrangemement So much . I will have to think more about the mantle options though .

• marylut
    3 years ago

If you are still planning to buy new furniture, and you don’t nap on the sofa, you could look for a smaller (say 72” instead of 84”) sofa and instead of love seat look for a pair of Regency or Empire chairs. The furniture arrangement looks pretty but seems to force foot traffic between the sofa and coffee table. How does one move from the small door to the room at the wide opening?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

They don't have t look built in.

Bayshores Drive · More Info

Rebecca Driggs Interiors_Raleigh NC · More Info

Contemporary Living Room · More Info

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There is no problem entering into the room from the smaller doorway , it isn’t blocking the doorway at all . my husband dis ask if he could have a stand beside it lol . This is the spot he prefers to sit ..

maybe a smaller coffee table would work better ?

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I really like the fireplace in the corner. I wouldn't be in a super hurry to add something, but would keep an eye out for that something that will work for you and your style.

My style if much less traditional than your style, but I can see something like this hanging from the ceiling above and slightly behind the fireplace and placing a few animal sculptures below on the fireplace - an Antelope, giraffe and some cheetahs.

I also have a paper wasp nest that my nephew shot out of at tree and I am looking for a piece of driftwood that I can suspend on the ceiling to hold my wasp nest.

I also own an iguana wall hanging sculpture that I can see attached to a net or rope suspended from the ceiling and attached to the back of the fireplace.

Go to nearby art and craft shows and see what there is to find that you love. Look for unusual pieces that can be suspended from the ceiling.

auntannie123 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I don't care for any focal point furniture cornered. It eats more floor and wall space, and furniture can never be cozyed up around it, IMO. How big are the gaps on the sides of it? I'd have to get a carpenter in to close it up on the sides and build a new top that goes in the corner if you keep it cornered. Then a furniture finisher would have to match the stain. If you really want drapes, then cornering it will not work. Cheaper to get drapes for one window than for two, and it looked so good in front of the single window. Of course, you could always sell it and get a smaller, corner FP instead.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks everyone for your help ! I love getting all of the different suggestions . I really like this layout . it allows me to have everything in the room that I want ( FP and window ) . If I can find a solution to putting a mirror above the FP I will definitely keep this arrangement . If not then I will probably center the FP in front of the window. I do love a symmetrical room and doing that would give me Balance and symmetry that I like ( but no window ) . if that window had not been on that wall , no questions asked , the fireplace Would have been there from the start .

• partim
    3 years ago

Use one piece on each wall - don't try to put one thing across the middle. It would look odd.

I like this look. Don't try to match the wall pieces in size, it will look too contrived. I'd hang the drapes first then center the wall pieces in the space remaining. If you like a mirror, put it on the right side so it will reflect the light and view from the window. Maybe an oval mirror would look good since you have a lot of squares.

Nothing too tall or too elaborate on the mantel, and keep it to the front.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Decoenthuiaste , you are tempting me with pics of those stands on each side of the fireplace lol

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Great idea Partim . thank You

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Symmetry or not - your decision. With the large window and heavy fireplace on one side of the room, it could become visually too weighty.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I have thought about that too , especially when I add window treatments . I think these three arrangements are what I need to choose from . I just need to choose and move on with it .

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• partim
    3 years ago

My vote is for the corner fireplace, with the sofa on the long wall. Since you're going to buy new furniture, 2 chairs facing the sofa, and a big plant to the left of the small window to balance the fireplace on the right.

You want balance in the room. Symmetry is not the only type of balance.

Swivel chairs would be good.

Second choice is the fireplace on the long wall. I would not cover the window.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Your original arrangement could still work if you put the sofa on a right angle to the fireplace then add two smaller scale chairs directly across from it. You could then put the wing chair in the right corner next to the window, add window treatments, a lamp and a small side table and make a comfortable reading area.

auntannie123 thanked katinparadise
  • Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

My vote is for the fireplace in the corner.

auntannie123 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Katrinparadise , could you explain that to me again ? I’ve had so many arrangements do you mean When the FP was on the longer wall

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Why not post the three photos as part of a "Poll" here on Houzz? Take a vote there. You'll also get comments when you do that, and you can reference this previous post so new arrivals can go back and see where the ideas came from.

• auntannie123
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good idea . Do I do that here where I’ve been posting questions ?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Yes, I was referring to when the fireplace was on the long wall.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Go to Polls to post a vote. You can add all three pix as items to vote on. People can click on the pix to see and then pick the one they want to vote for. There is also room for comments which you'll probably get as well.