Sprouted Wheat Batter Bread

CA Kate z9

There is a recent thread about growing Microgreens . LindaC reminded me that we once had jars in which to sprout seeds for one thing or another with special lids of screen material. I found mine, which reminded me of what I used it for.... Sprouted Wheat Bread. I found a jar of wheat berries buried in the fridge and set about to sprout them and make bread. 4 days later below are the results.

However, my bread isn't as beautiful as I would have wished. I had some new yeast from Bob's Mill and it just didn't give the expected rise to the bread... especially once in the oven. Oh well, it sure tastes good. In the photo it is sliced and ready to put in the freezer for future reference.

Thanks to Linda for the memory jog.

SaveComment6Like2
Comments (6)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbeth-gardener

Kate: That bread looks delicious! Would you mind sharing the recipe? Since the quarantine, we have been baking bread weekly.

I have a set of those sprouting lids packed away-what years were they popular? It seems like eons ago.

Save     Thanked by CA Kate z9
lindac92

I love sprouted wheat bread......made some once.....and my husband said...."Hmmm...interesting, new concept, eat your bread and floss your teeth at the same time." and i have never made it since.
Good to see your old seeds sprouted....maybe i need to see if i have any stashed in a corner of the freezer.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I make a few different sprouted grain breads. You can pulse the 'floss' in your quisinart or a blender using some of your baking liquid. Sprouts, even micro greens can be added to bread. For most sprouted grain breads, the grains are soaked just to the 'alive' stage. Soaking, adding water wakes up the endosperm and starts the germination. Changing from a grain to a plant. Just needs a tiny tail of a germinated seed.

The sprouted grain is now softened after soaking and can then be blendered into a slurry or dehydrated into sprouted grain flour. Or pulsed or used whole. Some like to use a meat grinder.

I add micros to blender drinks.

Similar to combining these two commercial breads.

1 Like Save     Thanked by CA Kate z9
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Here is a good link about different grains to use. Link, HERE

Another good link about sprouting grain. Link, HERE

Sprouted grain breads are much easier to digest. Same with sprouted grain crackers. These are gluten-free but I also make them with sprouted grains depending on what I have or who they are for.

Sprouting grains breaks down the carbs and proteins. The process increases the nutrients.

CA Kate z9

I just recently read an article about mashing up the sprouted grain to make bread. May have to try that one day. My recipe just incorporates the whole thing. I didn't sprout as many as I should have, but will do the right amount next time.

Lizbeth, The original recipe was from a magazine chart that used this basic recipe and added all sorts of different things. The whole chart would be hard to share any way but snail-mail, but here's what I typed out for myself and family:

Batter Bread with Cracked or Sprouted Wheat Circa 1970s
Ingredients
1 cup Water

1 Egg, beaten

2 Tbl. Honey

2 Tbl. Butter, softened

1 tsp. Salt

3 cups All-purpose Flour

1/4 cup Cracked Wheat Or 1/4 cup Wheat Berries, sprouted

Directions
If making Sprouted Wheat BreadSprout Wheat Berries several days (4+) ahead of Baking Day: Put 1/4 cup Wheat Berries in starter jar, cover with water and let sit for 24 hours; Drain water, shake jar to separate berries, let sit. Next day add water, drain, do the same. Do every day until the wheat berries have tails. Add them to bread dough.

Batter Dough (Will not be like kneaded bread dough!)

1. In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in Honey.
  2. Add Butter, salt, egg and only 2 cups of flour. Beat on slow speed with mixer until well blended. Increase speed to high; beat 1 minute. Scrape bowl; beat 1 minute more. (very important step. You are building the gluten strands.)
  3. Stir in remaining flour and sprouted wheat or cracked wheat with a wooden spoon. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
  4. Grease an 8.5 ”x 4.5” loaf pan. Punch batter down by stirring 30 strokes with a wooden spoon. Spoon into prepared loaf pan.
  5. Let rise, covered, in a warm place for 30-40 minutes or until batter rises to edge of pan (not over). Preheat oven.
  6. Bake in preheated 375º oven for 35 minutes. Remove from pan. (To determine doneness, tap bottom of loaf with finger tips. It should sound hollow. If not, return loaf to pan and bake another 5 minutes.) Cool on wire rack.

Note: I found that adding in the sprouts before the flour is easier than the reverse.

Save    
lizbeth-gardener

CA Kate z9: Thank you for posting the recipe. Now, I just need to locate some wheat berries.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: The Joy of Baking
Fill your house with a heavenly scent and your heart with cheer by making time to bake
Full Story
Kitchen Design Considering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
Houzz Call Houzz Call: What’s Cooking in Your Kitchen?
Most of us turn to recipes, videos and culinary shows when we cook. Where do you set your cookbook, tablet or TV screen?
Full Story