SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_g0

Decor for large wall with couch off centered?

Kristen G
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

First time poster here: my husband, baby, and I moved into our new home about 9 months ago. The back wall of the living room is rather large and empty...but I have no idea what to do with it. Our style is neutral (cliche modern farmhouse, although we haven't quite gotten there). The baby swing is temporary and I'm not sure if we'll put anything in that corner when our son outgrows it.

Any suggestions for what to do with/put on this wall?

Comments (37)

• erinsean
    3 years ago

Is there any way for you to arrange your couch so that you could put the TV on that wall? I was going to suggest pulling your couch closer to the fireplace and then I noticed the high TV. If you want to leave your couch the way it is and then I would suggest a tall bookcase in the place where the baby swing is....then you can put some sort of art work over your couch...centered between the bookcase and door.

• PRO
    Fabulous Decors
    3 years ago

Hello, I like the bookcase idea and adding touches of brighter colors in pictures and a throw on your couch would definitely make it warmer!

• Related Discussions

Wall decor around tv centered on wall

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm having the same issue. Right now I put 3 plants on the right in a corner, one on a high plant stand and the other two on a small table. A candle holder is yet to be put up on the other side. The TV is on the wall though, all electronics are in a closet behind. I do have a sofa table under it with pillows on it's shelf. Am consdering a bench for extra seating out of the way, but can be moved. Had wanted bookcases too, but the room has enough furniture and big fireplace. Filling up the bookcases felt like too much for my area. Post pic if you can. You will get a bunch more responses.
    ...See More

Decorating above an off-centered bed with a bold duvet print

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you everyone for the fabulous feedback and ideas!! @Manon- love the way you incorporated a shelf & photos together, and B&W was definitely one idea I'd thought about. Great idea about putting lamps on the shelf as a space saver, too! @Oliviag55- great call on sleeping in the room a few times to get a feel for what it needs. I think I currently avoid it bc I feel bad I haven't decorated it yet-- time to face my fears! :) And totally true that what folks notice is above the bed and at the foot...thanks for that! @Olychick- thank you SO much for these photos. I love them all and it gives me a much better sense of what decorations above an off-centered bed would look like. The first pic is perfect and gives me a great vision to work toward. And, never would have thought about doing an accent wall in a more neutral color, but that is such a great idea!! I've got a color in mind and will definitely think about that! Thank you so much everyone!! I'll definitely post an after pic once I make some progress on the room!
    ...See More

Looking for decorating ideas for small room with off center window.

Q

Comments (5)
    A nice water feature can do wonders for a bedroom https://aussiesales.com.au/products/led-water-fountain-feature For your wall, it depends what you're into really but if modern farmhouse is your kind of gig then maybe some nature/horse painting? I've sign nice wall tapestries too if you're into that https://epicpine.com/products/nature-astronomy-spirituality-hanging-wall-tapestry-home-decor
    ...See More

Wall ideas! *Off center sofa*

Q

Comments (7)
    Show more pictures of the space and layout please. I meant to have the loveseat across the couch against the wall. Yes in front of the tv. But I think that may be the better option. And then you can center it.
    ...See More
  • acm
    3 years ago

A narrow bookcase or a tall plant. A large picture. I also think your rug could be doing more here, but probably pick the art first.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I was going to suggest the same as celery. a taller potted plant, and some cool artwork. either one large piece or a cluster of smaller ones that match.

Also too, you can hang a plant from the ceiling if you're worried about baby getting into it. Put a cute table in the corner and a hanging plant above it

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Some shelving would work

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

bookcase ideas could work. you could do an Ikea hack w/the billy bookcases and some simple DIY

and make them look like the black/white farmhouse theme (ignore the ladder) you could also add a few lower cabinets for toys and stuff)

you could a half wall like shown here,

or a floating cabinet like this w/extra storage. top with wood or a stone material. hang some cool art above it

or do the entire wall in something like this. you could choose to relocate the tv.

hang some wood plant holders near the window

• PRO
  • dianabythelocks
    3 years ago

follow....

• Elle
    3 years ago

It doesn't look like you have room for bookcases but I think a gallery of wall art would look great.

• partim
    3 years ago

Go with art. With a small child, you have better things to do than dust stuff on a shelf.

• Tia
    3 years ago

you need something in that corner to balance off the huge heavyweight sofa. all the built in ideas are great. but to do it right, you need $. if you want something simpler and less permanent, a tree in the corner, then a collage of paintings or pic on the wall would do the trick. my big wall in my open living space is actually by design as my husband has a lot heirloom.

• Tia
    3 years ago

example of a big wall

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

If you are near an ikea store they have some excellent HUGE art that would look nice on your wall.....CostPLusWorldMarket also has very large art......or a pair of large maps of placs you have been is an idea......add a comfy ottoman and a matching lounge chair in the corner by the window with a small side table and simple sturdy floor lamp for reading in a fun pattern to add some zip to the room, throw pillows that pick up the chair colors on the sofa.....and some weightier lamps on bigger end tables.

Closed cabinet with storage cubbies for toys and a place for the swing.......on the other side of the fireplace.

• Red Silver
    3 years ago

You might just pick a hue from your cute throw pillows and paint that far wall a color your like...the apricot, green or blue? Than, find some more pillows, and if you have the money, (paint is so cheap)pick a carpet that has the colors in it you like to accent with, or any solid color that matches the wall you choose? A wall of pictures is nice, but if they are not anything special, it can be cluttery. If you have some favorite landscape scene you like or a still life, close up of a wildflower or an architectural feature such as a Suspension Bridge that has a place in your memories or history as a couple. Even an enlarged photo of something from you or your husbands history...a large old barn or a huge oak tree.....is a start. Over time, things will come to you that make you think of your Memory Wall, and you can add to it as the months or years go by..IF you find a great floor lamp on sale, put that by your couch where your small lamp is now, or a larger scale table lamp. You might find a floor lamp and a table lamp that works in your room, and follows your idea of a nice item for your nice size room..and works with your coming collection of several nice art or photo collection on that wall after you paint it, with time...

• Jill Morris
    3 years ago

Big cantilever lamp to balance the sofa, and light the corner seats of the sofa, then like everyone else I guess, a plant in the corner 💚good luck xx

• afreshpairofeyes
    3 years ago

Celery girl got it right !

• Lynn G
    3 years ago

Don't put a tv on that wall. You would then be arranged to stare at the blank wall when the tv is off. I like to always have my tv by a window/slider/view so the room is set up to watch the tv when it's on, and to enjoy the view when it's off. I find it depressing to have my back to the windows and stare at a blank wall.

Could the sectional be separated into 2 sofas/loveseats and separate slipper chair(s)? That could also be an option. Right now it's forming a hallway to walk through.

Also, it's a whole lot of beige between the wall color and the sofa and the rug. Maybe paint that far wall an accent color - navy, teal, lime-green: something to pop against the beige (oranges and yellows wouldn't pop enough - not unless you paint the rest of the room white - and if so my go-to-white is Ben Moor's "Chantilly Lace" - bright without being too blue or too yellow...) A more colorful rug might add a bit of zing too...

Dash and Albert do some fun colorful stripes. And many options for outdoors too - something to ponder with a child...

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/sb1/dash-and-albert-rugs-area-rugs-c215386-a1251~7582.html

Just as an example, imagine a navy wall with this rug for a bit of color:

https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/dash-and-albert-rugs-woven-cotton-striped-handmade-flatweave-cotton-bluegreenbeige-area-rug-dax1340.html

Then on the far wall add some artwork. Maybe a mirror added in. I could even see them graduated from higher up by the door going on a slight diagonal downward direction toward the window.... Maybe.

Good luck - always a challenge trying to figure out good design options!

• hopetietz
    3 years ago

I agree with celery girl, and the half wall with art above it is also genius. Beautiful ethnic throw or some pillows needed.

• PRO
    The Lewis Group Architects
    3 years ago

I would just add that when choosing what to do, keep in mind what your family plans are, more children, etc, and incorporate some nice looking storage for quickly hiding toys at the end of the day or guests drop by. Yes your son will outgrow the swing, but there will be other baby/kids “stuff” to deal with for a few years. Happy decorating!

• nolanirvana
    3 years ago

From the photo it appears that one side of the sofa is against the wall. I would pull the sofa more to the center of the room and but a long piece of furniture that can use the bottom for storage of toys and hang either one large piece of art or a grouping of art on the wall.

• exbavarian
    3 years ago

Some nice ceiling-to-floor curtains with a dark curtain rod (dark bronze) would help to balance the look and 'counteract‘ the bulk of the couch.
    Ditto for plant and art work!

• tomasco
    3 years ago

hi...I think a grouping of some different sized mirrors - scattered about would look fabulous...could also have some great art work or perhaps a BIG hanging macrame piece would also look great...

• rainigirl
    3 years ago

Celerygirl has the best suggestions, but, IMHP, I think arranging couch with TV on the wall would be great. TV's on fireplaces are tacky. For one thing the TV is too high and detracts from a beautiful fireplace...

• User
    3 years ago

I would move the couch seating closer to the window so it become a reading spot. Not so close it is right at the window. Leave room for a large square end table. I like the idea of a cantilevered arc lamp and once you've moved the sofa closer to the window, try an inexpensive narrow console unit behind the sofa that can store books and toys.

I would also take advantage of the light from the window to grow something there. Isn't that baby going to generate lots of photos? I'd begin using that wall for family photos, precocious artwork and other icons and mementos of your life that are personal to you, along with plenty of fun pillows for that sofa.

• carole dance
    3 years ago

some inexpensive ideas for right now is paint that huge wall accent color, or add graphics, a mural, faux. Add plants and art when you're ready $$$ Stencils and some 'oops' paint would give you some substance for now.

• braefoot
    3 years ago

My vote is a big black and white family photo gallery. Would be the perfect spot for black and white baby pics.

• Janice
    3 years ago

Hi Kristen, I really like the idea of balancing that doorway with a nice bookcase and then fill the rest of the wall with art, large piece or grouping. Does your family celebrate Christmas, if so, should the Christmas tree be put up in that corner in front of the bookcase? I would also do drapery on the window, having the panel(s) drawn to one side with a holdback.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Any bookcases, tall dressers or tall cabinets in a home with a child should be attached to the studs in the wall. IKEA sells stabilizer pieces which are to be attached to the bookcase AND to the wall to keep the piece from tipping over.

• Judith Schulten
    3 years ago

Having a window where a big plant could thrive is gold. Don't waste that.

• Kristen G
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow! Thank you all for the suggestions! I probably should have included for context pictures for a better overview of the layout. We have an open concept kitchen/dining/living room. The photos below are taken from the kitchen (can see the bar stools on the island) and the dining area. just like the baby swing, the pack and play is temporary. Just need a safe place for the baby while we cook dinner and such.

Although the bookcase seems to be a popular suggestion, it’s not really feasible in that tiny space.

• Margie Kieper
    3 years ago

I think there are more important issues than what to put on a wall. The couch is huge and takes over the room, and none of the other furniture is working with it. Too much beige. The tired pillows need colorful pillow covers. Toss the “accessories” on the side table and fireplace and the one lonely too-small lamp on the side table. The side table should go and either get a side table to match the coffee table or replace them both. Two floor lamps for reading are needed on either end of the sofa as well as sconces over the fireplace and additional lighting. The TV is set too high to watch. The baby furniture is not a good look but I understand if it is necessary. I would however put the baby seat away unless it is being used. The set of smaller photos on the wall opposite the fireplace does not work as they are too small and do not make an impact lined up along the wall. This room needs some color. If you can do it, what I would do is to either take apart the too-large couch and reconfigure it so that there are two seating areas facing each other on either side of the fireplace, and the TV moved to the wall where you would like to put something, along with bookcases and TV storage that would surround the TV. That is, a large nice-looking storage unit. Then you could have an interesting display above the fireplace, say, a mirror and some photos. Something personal.

• rainigirl
    3 years ago

Margie Kieper...tell us what you really think!

• partim
    3 years ago

From your newly-posted photos, it looks as if the sectional could be reconfigured to make the two sides more equal. I'd consider doing that.

• who? me?
    3 years ago

Like Elle said, it doesn't look like you have room for bookcases.

The window is effectively right up against the wall. Anything you put against the wall we either overlap, or at least crowd the window.

I'm with celerygirl, wall art and eventually a plant. A plant can happily overlap the window as long as the pot/stand height is below the bottom of the window.

For wall art, don't put anything by a window that would be damaged by sunlight.

• jjwf
    3 years ago

I would suggest centering the sectional on the fireplace, the natural focal point in this, and any, room. That would pull it off the back wall in question and give the space some breathing room. It may be necessary to remove one piece of the sectional, if that is an option, to be able to center it so it doesn't project into the eating area. I would also pull it up 4-6" to widen the space behind the couch, which appears to be a walk way from another room. The rug would naturally shift with the couch, as would the coffee table. I would also add a tall plant in the window corner and the gallery wall is a good idea, but avoid too many smaller framed items as it will tend to look busy. Bigger, in regards to wall art, is almost always better. Keep the framing similar, if doing a gallery wall, to create a more cohesive look.

• bygeorgi
    3 years ago

I feel like you have the modern but, not the farmhouse. Center that sofa if possible to free up some of that wall. I would use a black painted piece of furniture there, something thin if you could find it and old. Or if there is not enough space for that maybe some old black painted shutters or doors, anything old really would help. Then create some balance with black curtain rods and some simple pattern but tall curtains. Make your back wall where your photos are now a gallery wall . Can't see your kitchen but an iron farmhouse style chandelier would compliment the living room. Toss the colorful pillows and opt for some textured pillows , neutral colors and grander in scale. A large basket beside the fireplace for kiddie toys. Incorporating some vintage finds will help bring your style together. I would just keep in mind scale... the sofa is very large , a few select also larger pieces will help balance the room.