who needs yeast ?!

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I have more than two pounds. Please don't pay outrageous prices. This should help a bit until stores re-stock...or just ask for more in a couple weeks.

I have plenty of stamps. I don't even need to go to the post office. The mailman picks it up in my box.

(feeling like a drug dealer bagging up packets.)

I set up a new computer a couple weeks ago and had to re-sign in here so could that have changed my settings? Who knows. I do have messages but 2MD had trouble so I did just flip some setting switches...

SaveComment54Like3
Comments (54)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Just post here if you can't message me your address and we will figure something else.

Save    
annie1992

And, if sleevendog "maxes out" the supply she has, I'll pitch in too, I still have a pound in the freezer and I'll share.

Save    
foodonastump

SD - messaging is still not turned on. Go to your account home, then Edit Profile and Settings. From there, under Profile Sections dropdown choose Advanced Settings. Towards the very bottom there’s another dropdown with choices as to who can message you:

Save    

Thanks foas. That is what I did but did not hit the submit/update click. Should be good now.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I have plenty of instant yeast also since I finally got my order of 2 lbs. So I can share too.

Save    
party_music50

Where'd you get the yeast?! I was supposed to be notified when it came back into stock, which was supposed to happen the 3rd week in April, but it's still not stocked. :p

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

p_m50, I ordered the instant from Amazon. I got lucky in that I had ordered 2 pounds of Active Dry Yeast just before the big Christmas Baking Season so I have enough to do for a few more rounds of breadmaking. Surely to goodness they will get it back in stock sometime in the foreseeable future!

Save    
lindac92

I also have lots of yeast. But won't go to stand in line at the post office and don't have lots of stamps....but if you can figure out how to get some to you....I will sure share!!

Save    
nancyofnc

I am lucky to have bought a bunch last November. It lives quietly in my freezer. Since I am having trouble finding bread flour it may live there some more.

sleevendog - it is very generous of you to offer to share. That little act of kindness goes a long way along with my admiration of you over the years sharing recipes, insight, and more kindness to posters.

1 Like Save    
plllog

I offered to share with a lot of people and had no takers. I can also contribute some.

Save    

I'll just keep it posted on top so those that need yeast will see the post.

Personally I would be hesitant, but I posted the packets and the Elvis stamps, lol, and do not need to go to the post office. Packets are all ready to ship. No biggie at all. Mailman picks up the envelope in our mailbox at the end of the driveway.

Nope, can't have my t-p. Baldor cough up six rolls this last delivery.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

sleevendog, you got lucky. I just got notified by Amazon that my autoship TP has been cancelled; no longer available :-(

Save    
Peke

I have yeast, but can't find whole wheat flour. I have been looking since February.

Save    
plllog

Peke, maybe it's time to invest in a mill and make your own?

Save    
Peke

Ha, I don't want it that bad! No room in my freezer right now for the flour and no time to mill it. I have spent the last 4 days cleaning up texture mud and sheetrock dust from our upstairs remodel. I know the contractor swept daily, but it kept growing. All over the house. Finally, it was as clean as I could get it, and I spent two days priming. Today, I painted two bedroom ceilings and the walls. Now, I can hardly move when I first stand up from sitting. And I am also cleaning out the swamp! (Otherwise known as the pool.) More painting tomorrow if I can move at all. It looks like store bought whole wheat bread will be my only wheat bread. I know, I know... that is just wrong!

Save    
Moxie

Pleasant Hill Grain still has yeast in stock. They were out when I ordered, so I pre-ordered and they sent it when it was available. SAF Red Label Yeast

Save    
Sooz

Message coming at ya, SD ! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Save    
plllog

Peke, I'm in awe. I washed a lot of stuff that doesn't fit in the DW, ran a load of tea towels and cooked some stuff. I feel like an idler! But, electric mill. And you don't need to freeze the flour. Just weigh what you need, add 5 grams to cover slop over, and run the mill. Instant, beautiful whole wheat flour.

Save    

2 sent, easy peasy.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Hey Sleeve speaking of Baldor did you see they lowered their minimum order? Should make it a little easier to pull the trigger.

Save    

Yes! I was just going to post that. And they expanded their range. I'll be needed flour next week. They have more in stock. And back to daily delivery.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Wish we had something similar here!

Save    
Lars

I would have taken you up on this except that I did order yeast from Amazon and paid four times what it should have cost😢

Save    
party_music50

I've been checking various sites for yeast all along, including just a couple days ago, but they all said 'out of stock' -- I just checked again and Amazon had a one pound bag! Unfortunately, it sold out two seconds after I added it to my cart. lol! I did find a 2# bag from a 3rd party seller and just got the email that it's shipped already. yay. :)

1 Like Save    
Peke

Pillog, how do you keep the grain fresh? How much do you buy at a time? I assume you only mill a small amount at a time since you don't freeze the flour.

Did I tell you I bought a "toy" after I bought the Breville peel and dice? I love it for bread dough. An Ankarsrum mixer with pasta and meat grinding attachments. Not as good for mixing cakes, potatoes, etc, but wonderful for bread dough. After grinding my own beef, turkey, pork, and chicken, I realized how much blood the stores add to ground beef, etc. in the grocery store. It tastes so much better than store ground. I am still working on my pork sausage recipe. I can't get it right!

Save    
plllog

Peke, the grain keeps well if you don't mill it ahead. So far I haven't had any issues. I was going through so much of it, then had to stop using whole wheat, that I ended up with a lot vacuum sealed, and in opaque buckets. Some freeze, but I don't have the freezer space for it. The grain I have in air tight canisters in the cabinet has stored well. I have some lingering seeds that I used to put in whole grain bread, sunflower and pumpkin, that are on the road to rancid, but the grain seems fine. I was buying 25# bags from Palouse of red and hard white, as well as smaller amounts of rye and soft white, and little bits of other grains. To the best of my knowledge, none of the grain has gone rancid.

Congrats on the Ankarsrum! I just have a tilt head KA, but it's sufficient. I do have the meat grinder, which is useful when I need it, but I have to admit, I can buy awesome, fresh sausage. I never perfected mine either.

It's been too long since I bought my grain mill to have any recommendations. It's an old style WonderMill that looks like a poor cousin of R2D2 and is loud enough that I wear shooting ear protection. It has an adjustment for speed and an adjustment for how far apart the plates are, so you can get the exact grind you want. It also has an air filter which captures fine particles rather than spewing them. And it cost less then $250 from Amazon. There are a whole new crop of mills out there now.

If you're committed to whole wheat/whole grain, freshly milled can't be beat. Search out Grainlady's old posts on the issue.

Save    
Peke

Maybe one day I will get to make my own flour. Maybe when my house is finished. Working on bathrooms soon.

1 Like Save    
party_music50

wow -- I have yeast now and more [brown rice] flour coming!!! I'll be able to bake freely again! :) If anyone needs it, you can get a 2# bag for around $24 through a 3rd party Amazon seller in about 3 days. :)

Save    
agmss15

I found yeast locally and posted it awhile ago but had no takers. I figured the inclination had waned or that supplies were catching up with demand.

Maine Grains has whole grain flours and can be ordered online. I think orders are slow but going out. My BIL is a miller there. And they do carry our bread knives if I do say so myself.

https://mainegrains.com/shop/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/marker.medium.com/amp/p/623034583579

Interesting article about King Arthur as well.

1 Like Save    

Nice bread knife!

I know of MaineGrains. I should order. The NYTimes posted an article listing Mills, farms, cheesemakers...veg and animal farms state by state to search and support local. I meant to post it. (I will). MaineGrains is on the list.

Save    
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

Thank you, Sleevendog, for the yeast that came to me today. I appreciate your kindness and generosity.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Peke, I've got an Ankarsrum and love it. 4 loaves at a time is easy peasy. Considering the meat grinding attachment, do you like it?

Save    
Peke

I do. I bought the extra disks too. (Not sure what they are called....smallest to largest holes.) But, for grinding large amounts of beef, I don't know how it will hold up. (Like a deer or an entire side of beef.) I can buy the toughest pieces of beef when they have a sale, and grind my own hamburger. I love NOT having the blood taste or the veins, etc in the ground meat. I made one batch of hamburger so lean that it would not hold together for grilling burgers, but it made great taco meat. The blood and water the stores add to the meat adds to the weight of the beef so you are not really getting 100% beef. I started grinding my own because the 3 local grocery stores near me never calibrated their scales. For 2 years, I weighed all their packaged meat with my bread/dough scale, and they were off about 1/4 of a pound every time. I would pay for a pound but only got 3/4 pound. They finally calibrated their scales. Funny that all 3 had problems! Could be on purpose?

My ground chicken and turkey is so different than store bought. The stores must put in a lot of skin and other stuff when they grind it.

So, once in a while use of the grinder would be okay. If you will grind a lot of meat, I would go with an electric grinder made specifically for that purpose.

The only problem I have had with the Ankarsrum was the timer stopped working. It no longer stops the mixer automatically. I think Kitchen Aids (heavier duty models without plastic parts) would do better for some aspects of mixing, but the Ankarsrum roller is so gentle that it does not overheat the dough. It takes a few minutes longer than the Kitchen Aid to knead. Very few bread recipes will use the dough hook with the Ankarsrum.

1 Like Save    
Cloud Swift

Central Milling currently has 5-pound bags of whole wheat and whole wheat hi-pro fine flour in stock. It goes in and out of stock as they grind flour regularly. Recently 5-pound bags were only available by checking in the morning when they updated their stock, but it's been showing as available all weekend so perhaps they are doing more 5-pound packages or catching up with demand now.

I made a cranberry-walnut sourdough bread with their high-pro fine whole wheat and it came out fantastic. Lovely wheat flavor, perfect chewy texture.

Edited to add: every time I see the title of this thread, my first thought is that it's a thread about baking wonderful sourdough as in "Who needs yeast when you can make sourdough" then I remember that it is about distributing actual yeast.

Save    

Just keeping this up and top. No issues at all if anyone else needs yeast. We have a flour issue but will order end of the week no problem wholesale.

I can send so easily. Please do not hesitate to ask.

Save    
Peke

Woo hoo! I found three bags of Gold Medal Whole Wheat flour at Walmart! I would rather have white whole wheat, but I will take what I can get.

Cloud swift, that bread sounds amazing. I gave up trying to do sourdough. I kept forgetting to feed it.

1 Like Save    
plllog

[you could always mill your own.... grinning, ducking and running]

Congrats on the find!

Save    
bragu_DSM 5

I can supply yeast as well. Red Star packs. Message me, but notify me on this thread that you sent a message and I can check the houzzzz mail.

Save    
Peke

Pillog, when I start milling my own, I will look for you to help me through it, okay?

My husband saw the whole wheat flour at Walmart, and he picked it up. It has been on our grocery list since February. I was outside cleaning the pool, and he was trying to call me. When he walked in the door, he said, "Why didn't you answer your phone? I was so excited to tell you."

When did we get so old that finding a couple of bags of flour would make our day?

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Human beings - big bags of mostly water - excited about finding big bags of flour.

*grin*

Save    
Peke

Bragu, ...and big bags of hot air!!! ; )

Save    
plllog

Well, to be technical, big bags of hot air floating inside big bags of water. :)

When the hoarding started, I could only think how Soviet it looked to see Americans standing in line for toilet paper...

Congrats on the flour find, Peke! And of course, I'll be there for you when you start milling your own. It's amazing how much better freshly milled whole wheat tastes!

Save    
John Liu

Weirdly, when viewing the mobile site (like on a phone) the “message” option is absent.

Save    
plllog

John, the message button is there for me on iPad/Safari. Some people just don't have message buttons.

If you're having trouble with a mobile site, you can get the desktop site via many alternative browsers, especially the ones that eliminate ads.

Save    
party_music50

I was so happy yesterday to have enough yeast and flour so that I could bake a loaf of bread AND a cake!!! From mid-March until now, I haven't had enough to bake anything but absolutely essential bread. :p

1 Like Save    
Peke

Party_music 50, it is the little things in life that count the most. I will live through you, and I think I will enjoy the cake you made...virtually.

Think how bad it was during the 30s trying to buy food. And here I am complaining about a lack of whole wheat flour. Shame on me.

Isn't it funny that we can't find staples, but there are plenty of processed foods to buy. No one is standing in line for frozen pizza, chicken nuggets, or french fries. Unfortunately, I seldom buy that stuff and there is plenty to buy.

2 Likes Save    

Keeping this at the top. I have only sent to four in need so far. Gave a neighbor a 1/4 cup. Still have well over a pound. I'm sending four Tbsp. Enough for 12 1/4 tsp boules. Or six various loaves needing 1/2 tsp.

Lots of us have plenty. Canadians it can be sent flat, taped inside, in a greeting card. (keeps it flat for thinness)

Please do not hesitate.

I just tape to a folded letter size envelope. On a folded piece of basic 9x11 print paper.

Save    

Sooz, it came back today. Why did that take so long to return! So sorry. Never has happened but I did stuffit with micro green seeds, 😂. Added extra postage. Back out now. Geez, you should have had that a week ago. They did not even tell me how much is needed. (dumb)

Save    
annie1992

Peke, I'm finally finding flour, yeast, shortening, baking supplies. The produce department and bakery has always been well stocked, and now there are paper towels pretty much all the time, although toilet paper is still in short supply. Meat is available except ground beef, although prices have gone up a lot, and eggs and dairy are well supplied too.

What is not stocked is frozen pizza, those boxes of dehydrated potatoes, canned soup, chicken nuggets, frozen french fries and my Mother's favorite food, Banquet Turkey Pot Pies. There are stacks of beef pot pies, but no turkey or chicken. I offered to make her chicken pot pie but she tells me that it doesn't taste the same. That was a relief, LOL.

Annie

Save    
Peke

Annie, I am guessing that where I live, the processed items are used a lot. I seldom see raw chicken in anyone's cart...lots of chicken nuggets and frozen chicken tenders! Different parts of the country means different items on the shelves, I guess. I think I saw 25-30 different kinds of frozen pizza yesterday.

You know, your mom may have it right! Turkey tastes different, but it might be the gravy in the frozen pot pies. I make my own chicken pot pies (less salt) and wrap them for the freezer. No matter what I do, the gravy gets absorbed. I keep adjusting the recipe, but I think it might be that the big corporations can flash freeze the pot pies. My pies aren't as pretty as the store bought pies, but I am using a hamburger bun pan for the pot pies.

Save    
Peke

Annie, my local grocery store ad is showing Banquet pot pies on sale. Made me laugh!

Save    
plllog

There's finally Gold Medal flour on the shelves here, but your Caffeine Free Diet Coke shortage has moved west. :)

Save    
arkansas girl

Finally found some at the Amish bulk foods shop at the flea market. I had bought two packages at ALDI when this all started but now, none of the grocery stores around here had any.

Save    
Sooz

SD, I didn't see your post on this thread until today, June 4, 2020 (almost a week after you posted the update!)--thanks for the update and thanks in advance for the surprise micro green seeds!!!! Wow, awesome and THANK YOU so much!!! May I reimburse you for the postage? yeast? seeds? your time and trouble? TIA

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Healthy Home What You Need to Know About Dust and How to Fight It
Breathe easier with these 10 tips for busting mites, dander and other microscopic undesirables
Full Story
Fun Houzz Don’t Be a Stickybeak — and Other Home-Related Lingo From Abroad
Need to hire a contractor or buy a certain piece of furniture in the U.K. or Australia? Keep this guide at hand
Full Story
Home Tech Make Home Sweet Home Even Sweeter With a Brewery Or Winery
New high-tech products make small-scale home beer and wine production easy and fun
Full Story