SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattgandin

Show Your Stripes

Matthew Gandin
3 years ago

Among my roses, I only have a few with stripes. I normally don’t buy roses at the big box stores, but a few months ago I was at the local Home Depot and spotted this rose among the more mundane Mister Lincoln’s and Chrysler Imperials. This is my fist bloom on Harry Wheatcroft (aka Caribia). Apparently, the breeder and namesake of this rose was just as eccentric and flamboyant. A communist, imprisoned during World War One for refusing his draft orders as a pacifist, this legendary British rose gardener and breeder was just as well known for his odd wardrobe, extramarital dalliances, and bizarre facial hair, think modern day Bob Weir of the Grateful Dead crossed with Martin Van Buren. Definitely worth a Wikipedia search. Anyway, here are pictures old my first bloom, and other striped roses this spring. I’d love to see yours too.

Comments (58)

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

Rosecanadian, I don't remember Parade Day's fragrance. The Japanese Beetles left it alone so I'm tempted to say there wasn't one but I could be wrong as I don't have one in front of me to smell (yet).

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    3 years ago

You asked for it!

Raspberry Cream Twirl

Flamingo Dancer — in January.

This one is a miniature (Burlington).

And this is a miniflora.

• Related Discussions

Hey Bob...kids are starting to show their stripes

Q

Comments (6)
    Andrew,the range in size is about the same as your pic shows,with a few really doubling the size of a few small ones,and most others in the mid-size range,by comparison. I chalk it up to 'healthy plants' vs 'weak plants',with no known reason for the differences.Lately,I've been adding weak liquid fertilizer to the watering,and occasionally,a dose of 'Superthrive',a vitamin/hormone solution,1 drop per gal.of water.Seems to be doing the job,as I can notice the growth change. Works well on some Dyckia seed that I have too,as they seem to be doing better than before.Yet,there are differences in the growth rate here too,some taking off,some lagging behind.I guess Mother Nature knows what she's doing.Hope so,because I don't. ;^) Bob
    ...See More

Show your stars and stripes (post pics)

Q

Comments (17)
    Wow, I love them all!!! My Mother will do the same things. She will see something she likes and we will all spend a lot of time finding it or making it and then she has changed her mind. There are 6 girls and she talked about wanting a Wii for the exercise. Her B-Day was June 4th and we looked all over Georgia and California and I found one. Now she is talking about taking it back LOL!!!!!!!!! This one is still waiting for the binding. I never really cared for the red, white, and blue but now I do. They just don't match anything in my house. Rosa
    ...See More

I'll Show Your Mine, If You'll Show Me Yours, Friday July 1st

Q

Comments (9)
    Picked some flowers from the garden the other day to put in the kitchen window. The peony has opened nicely today.
    ...See More

I'll show you mine/you show me yours - W -2/28/24

Q

Comments (22)
    Not many plaids here either, except for my MacGregor/Gregor tartan blanket. It’s great to cozy up with during Fall and Winter but I’ll be packing it away again come Spring.
    ...See More
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

By the way, Matthew, I definitely see the Bob Weir resemblance in Harry Wheatcroft. I can easily picture him belting out “El Paso.”

☮️🎸🤤

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

I am not that into stripes because the high contrast of the colors distracts the eye from from the petal shapes, but I really like the more muted color blends of Peach Swirl, Candice, and Marc Chagall.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

mmmm - well hopefully I'll find out this year. Mine never bloomed last year. :)

Sylvia - all the air left my lungs when I saw your Flamingo Dancer (Flamenco??)!!!! Utterly beautiful!!!!

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

rosecanadian, was it a fall planting? Why didn't it bloom?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

I am so jazzed to see the pictures of peach Swirl . Mine just went in to the ground. Also waiting on Marc chigall and Maurice Utillo

3 new stripes whoo hooo!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

mmmmm - I had the worst summer for my roses that I've ever had. Rain, rain, rain, rain and lots of cool weather. Plus I used a potting mixture with a lot of fines and no organic mixture...which I thought would be fine...but??? And I think the ph was all out of whack. And the worst was that I used organic fertilizer instead of inorganic (better for pots I think). After last summer, and how powdery mildew covered every leaf...I don't know anymore what I did wrong. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping for better. Plus I'm going to use inorganic fertilizer. Sigh...it was a horrible summer. And I had tried some pots with this type of "soil" and those pots with another and.... And then, my record keeping was terrible...so I ended up not knowing what the h*ll I was doing. LOL

Nick - that's a stellar Peach Swirl bloom...absolutely glorious!!!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    3 years ago

I really appreciate your honest report, Carol. It will help many people avoid heartache. Someone talked about MG organic potting soil being a disaster for them. They might have been in a rainy area too. So many variables make it hard to figure out sometimes. I try to keep records to help me too. Good luck this year. You deserve it to go well.

3 years ago

Rosa Canadian — it is Flamingo Dancer, not Flamenco. Easy to confuse. My FD came from Burlington Nursery here in California. She bred it herself, I think. Check her out on HMF under Commercial Growers or Nurseries.

so easy to grow! Thanks.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Sylvia - yeah, later I looked it up and realized my goof. :)

Sheila - thanks! I will definitely stay away from MG organic potting soil. And with our lack of heat here, I, also don't like using potting soil with moisture control. Thanks so much for the good wishes for my roses. I don't want another summer like last year. :) You always make me feel especially valued here. :) :)

• Matthew Gandin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sylvia, School Spirit, which is pictured above, was also bred by Burling Leong, I purchased it when she's spoke about rose breeding at our monthly meeting of the East Bay Rose Society last fall.

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

I'm not that crazy about stripes though I have a good many. I tend to like the softer, less contrasty ones best.

Rosa Mundi - I guess its simplicity complements the stripes .

Same with Fourth of July - this one is just always cheerful looking to me

I like Wonderstripe a lot , and I often think of it as a softer stripe :

Tiny Strawberry Swirl is a really cute miniature moss bred by Ralph Moore:

Hurdy Gurdy , a cl. mini

Vick's Caprice

Where does anyone get Peach Swirl?

Alfred Sisley

Edgar Degas, very healthy

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Erasmus - You have a lovely striped rose collection! Peach Swirl appears to be available from Edmunds Roses. I think it was available from Regan earlier this year. I got mine from a local nursery in the Bay Area.

I like Wonderstripe too! How big is yours? Mine is starting year two and is less than 2ft tall.

Ann

• 111plisa su
    3 years ago

2020 roses · More Info

Maurice Utrillo..the name kept disappearing.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Erasmus - now that you mention it...I love all of your subtle stripes the best! So I agree with you, even though it never occurred to me before...I love subtle stripes the best! Thank you! :) Your Wonder Stripe, Vick's Caprice and Alfred Sisley are swoony stripes!!!!!

Ann - Oooh! I love the brightness of the stripes on your Wonder Stripe!!! I guess I have no loyalty to soft stripes. LOL

111 - what is that rose called? It's very exotic looking! :)

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Thanks for info on where to buy Peach Swirl.

Ann, I don't know how old my Wonderstripe is but I'm guessing about 5 years. I have two plants of it, one is about 4' tall , the other maybe 4.5'. Both are kind of upright but branchy. Not that wide.

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Thanks erasmus! I'm looking forward to seeing my Wonderstripe build up some size in the next year or so.

Ann

• ksgreenman
    3 years ago

Here's Rosa Mundi which may or may not be the first rose with stripes

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

These are also pretty! I have only ever had one, which was a mistake first place but I was very disappointed in the end when it died from an exposed graft in a cold winter a couple of years ago. It was unnamed and I id'd it as Candy Land. Lovely fragrance.

• mattgrowsflowers PA z6
    3 years ago

I am swooning over everybody's photos of Peach Swirl. Wow! Thanks for sharing. That would look magnificent in an arrangement with the color palette for most of my dahlias...

• Nick 10bSW17
    3 years ago

My first bloom from Marc Chagall, I wish there was a fragrance to match its beauty. (Single day between pictures)

3 years ago

Nick your Marc chigall is beautiful! I have some buds so it won't be long.

Ann, where did you find your Wonder Stipe?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    3 years ago

Really loving Wonderstripe and Neil Diamond!!!

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Hi Kristine -

I got Wonderstripe from Heirloom Roses who I believe is the hybridizer.

Ann

• hugogurll
    3 years ago

No one has mentioned the actual rose Show Your Stripes.

Show Your Stripes rose

• Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
    3 years ago

Erasmus - Your collection of striped roses are stunning! Really liking the color combo of Alfred Sisley!

Ann - Your Wonderstripe is just gorgeous! Putting this one on my wish list!

Nick - Love seeing the transition of your beautiful Marc Chagall!

Striped roses are starting to grow on me. Here's a pic of my first striped rose blooming:

Maurice Utrillo

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Greenman - There is something electric about Rosa Mundi ... and your picture showcases that presence it has! Gorgeous!!

Nick - the difference in the look of your bloom from one day to another is really cool!!! I especially love the 2nd picture!

Glimmer - oh wow!!!! What a fabulous stripey!

• Sheryl May 8a
    3 years ago

my only Raspberry cream twirl bloom without proliferation, so far. 😔

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Love this thread. I just bought my first stripe today - Neil Diamond - on the strength of Ben's exhortations over the years.

Has anyone grown Ferdinand Pichard? I saw it in the David Austin rose garden last year in England. It was beautiful! I wonder how it'd do in my climate... I was also tempted by the variegata de bologna -- gorgeous photo.

that Vick's Caprice is amazing! I must go look that one up...

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Does anyone grow Red Intuition? How does she perform In your yard? Will she be ok in the desert? I like her pictures on HelpMeFind.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Sheryl - dang! But, if it's any consolation...that one bloom is wonderful!!! My oh my!!!

3 years ago

Ann, my bank account is relieved Wonderstrip is sold out

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Kristine - 😆 LOL! I hope you signed up to get notified when its back in stock. We need to support the economy!

Ann

• Dillybeansown (6b in the Ozarks)
    3 years ago

I’m not huge into striped roses, but some of these are stunners! I would have to agree on preferring the softer stripes, with less contrast. Variegata de Bologna, Candace, Vick’s Caprice, Wonderstripe, Raspberry Cream Twirl and Peach Swirl would definitely be favorites.

I only have one, which I picked up as a novelty. First bloom on Alfred Sisley:

I actually like it more than I thought I would. Haha :)

• romanticorp
    3 years ago

Purple Tiger (I’m not 100% certain though) I took this photo June 7th 2018 and I’m in zone 6b!

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Striped roses are my favorite! Here are mine:

All American Magic

Candy Land

I'm not sure about the name of this one. It is a miniature that I got from Home Depot; I think it may be one of the Sunblaze series.

Gigi

One of the miniature Parade roses, I'm not sure which one. It occasionally blooms with stripes on the flowers.

My Purple Tiger is going to open its first bud in a day or so. I'm so excited! It was the first striped rose that I had ever seen. I will post a picture of it when it opens.

Have a nice day everyone!

damask_rose : )

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

All so nice! Romanticorp, how does Purple Tiger grow for you? I love the look of it but hear the plant is wimpy.

Here's a subtle stripe: Peppermint China, tiny little blooms but lots of them

They're about an inch across and the color is more of a light pink.

Ferdinand Pichard

Fran's Pirouette , my own open pollinated double, fragrant seedling of Fourth of July

It's a shrub , not a climber

• Lek Arun
    3 years ago

Fran's Pirouette Is so beautiful. I like her more than the parent. I grew Fourth of July once and I did not care much. The canes were too stiffed to train. You are so talented, erasmus_gw!

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    3 years ago

Erasmus -- how is Ferdinand Pichard in your garden? Does the shrub look good most of the time? Disease-resistant? I loved it at the David Austin Rose garden in England, but haven't seen it in USA.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Romantic - My goodness!!! Those are STUNNING roses!!! The colors are glorious!!!

Damask - man, oh man I love your 2nd picture of AAM!!! I've always loved Candy Land (I don't grow it)...yours has so many blooms! I really love the picture right above Gigi.

Erasmus - I can't believe that you got that beautiful rose from an OP seed!!! Way to go!! Without you...that rose would never be...OP or not...you created it! I also really love your FP...that rose always bowls me over!!

Dilly - when I clicked on your picture and saw the full shot...it was mesmerizing! The bloom is really showy!

• romanticorp
    3 years ago

Erasmus- they were actually already growing when I purchased this house and it had been neglected and I think a bit poorly placed (they are right beside a driveway and close to a chestnut tree) but they seem to get enough sun to bloom. It is a bit gangly and the insects love to chew on it so i periodically check to spritz them with soap or a strong-ish spray with the hose trying to not knock the buds too much. The blooms are worth it. I need to find a spot to relocate it.

• romanticorp
    3 years ago

Rosecanadian- I think I read earlier in the thread that you’ve got some roses in pots, yes? Has that been successful? I’d like to try a rose in a container eventually, currently they are all in-ground.

• Karen F
    3 years ago

My campfire ones went ballistic last year and bloomed twice!!!! Had to get pictures of them and it survived the winter with flying colors. In fact it was getting leaves on it before my shield rose!!!!

• erasmus_gw
    3 years ago

Thank you about Fran's P. I guess I'm going to have to try Purple Tiger.

I no longer grow Ferdinand Pichard but when I did I liked it but it was blackspot prone.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Romantic - don't get me started LOL...I've had about 8 years of glorious roses and 2 years of meh and last year of oh the horror! LOL There are many better people to ask. LOL I am good at overwintering roses in pots if my daughter doesn't leave the garage door open in -32C weather. Sigh.

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

My "Purple Tiger" finally bloomed! It took way longer to bloom than I thought it would. The blossoms got damaged pretty badly by the heat.

Have a nice evening,

• mmmm12COzone5
    3 years ago

My first Candy Land bloom!

• damask_rose_zone9b
    3 years ago

Wow, it's beautiful! I'm so happy it is doing well for you!