SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What's For Dinner, #379

annie1992
3 years ago

OK, as promised, I'm starting the new thread. I bought Elery a sous vide device for our anniversary, so he was playing with it. The first night it was pork chops, sous vide and then seared in a hot skillet. They were OK, a bit soft, but not dried out, which is what I usually do to pork chops. But since I can only post one picture in the opening post, I'll show you these beautiful Snow Cap beans, which I made into a cold bean salad. They were good beans, big and creamy, but no better than the beans I usually grow. I bought several different types of beans to experiment and see if any were worth the time growing, or better than the varieties I already grow. These were beautiful, but not unique. And, of course, Houzz won't let me post the picture...

To be continued....

Comments (100)

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Last night we had the last of our stash of crab cakes. 😩 A friend brings them frozen from the coast. I made remoulade. I oven roasted quartered small Yukon Gold potatoes very simply with EVOO, salt and pepper. They were perfect! We also had green peas. Not much to say about that. For dessert, I made the KA One Pan Chocolate Cake. I left it unfrosted and served it with vanilla ice cream.

I don’t know what today is going to bring. I want to wash down my kitchen cabinets, so it may be pizza from the freezer!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

I cooked a roast chicken yesterday, using Jasdip's method of putting onions, potatoes, and carrots with a little white wine as a base to sit the chicken on. And I made a gravy with the pan juices to go over the potatoes. It was so darned good.

• Related Discussions

What's for dinner Sunday?

Q

Comments (25)
    I had dinner with my two daughters and their families at my oldest house. She made boc choy salmon with spinach and brown rice. It was soo good. I brought a chocolate fudge cake and french vanilla ice cream for dessert. It was so good to be with family. Satine
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

What’s in your pantry? (And can it become dinner.)

Q

Comments (16)
    Here is my orange vegan cake, from Allrecipes originally. I discovered it when we were having vegan friends for dinner but now I use it all the time. Ingredients 1 large orange, peeled (or sub 1 cup orange juice) 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 cup white sugar 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I have used corn oil or also melted butter but then it's not vegan) 1 1/2 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt Directions Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. Blend orange in the blender until liquified, measuring 1 cup orange juice (or just use 1 cup orange juice) Whisk orange juice, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (I usually add a little dash of nutmeg and cinnamon to the batter, and then sprinkle a bit of cinnamon-sugar on the top before baking.)
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner 406 Summer 2023

Q

Comments (103)
    Wow, 4 years. Such a cute age. And a cute cake. We have 5 under 5 with another on the way via 3 nephews. I meant 'passive' haha. Meaning, "you do your thing vegetables. I have no time to babysit." Next day it had a lasagna vibe with the top layer of the pasta. I usually make a harvest lasagna every early Fall...right around the corner. Another pic of the shrimp salad lettuce cups fell from the clouds, A couple weeks ago i sous vide four small sirloins. An easy taco pulling two out of the freezer and thawing with a dry brine, then a cast iron sear. Tossed in kimchi. Next day made a sirloin Banh mi for DH. I had a sirloin salad bowl. Side bean/corn salad About to hit the end of the Summer thread...bummer.
    ...See More
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

Yum. We do that as well roasting whole chicken. Potatoes and gray. 😀

Crab cakes😩. Want, can't have. Nice remoulade recipe. I could order from the wholesaler but my inventory of the fridge/freezer ? So much we need to use up before any more special treats.

• Sooz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Ohhhhh, darn good looking food on this thread! Inspiring, too! SD, I feel ya about the fridge & freezer and so much to use up first! BTW, we are not tiny tasters by any means! LOL

Bbstx, I made the KAF Vanilla One Pan Cake & Frosting for a neighbor, to say thank you for her and her family always watching out for us--I think it turned out well, and the frosting was good (I licked the beaters!). Mmmmmmmm, I can picture the crab cakes dinner!

WalnutCreek, put that gravy on my baked chicken! Looks so good!

Here's the poke bowl from dinner, made with salmon from Bristol Bay, added some cucumbers, Maui onions, toasted sesame seeds, lime & lemon juice, and tiny radish greens that we planted in the garden.

3 years ago

Gorgeous Sooz. So thankful I ordered BristolBay early on. It is sushi grade. So thankful for that. I make my salmon cakes with raw, then crispy exterior in the cast iron....raw interior. New recipe for me. Cooking is full of surprises trying new things.

Love your garden radish. I learned from a commercial grower that grows all stages micro, macro, baby greens. All my garden greens are coming up. Baby leaves make such a nice salad.

• Sooz
    3 years ago

SD, I *thought* I missed this year's deadline for whole fillets, but I double-checked my email (it was in the "promo" box) and I had not missed it! Hooray!

Gotta love those baby leaves, micro, macro etc, too! I appreciate your inspiration!

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Sleeve that's a heck of a great-looking pizza!! Is it a normal flour crust or something else?

Walnut, your roast chicken looks fantastic. I'm glad you liked the carrots, potatoes and wine underneath :-)

Sooz, what a colourful dish!!!!

Ta-daaaah, I made 2MD's cold cucumber soup today!!! I

I picked up another produce box, and knowing it has an English cucumber in it, as well as the one I already have, that was a no-brainer. I'm not a real lover of cucumber anyway, except now!! Sooo good. That's mint that I have floating on the top.

Cold soup and BT, forgot the Lettuce :-(

I picked a bunch of rhubarb at my step-father's yesterday. I knew the first thing I had to make is pie. I've also got muffins and a cake on the agenda for it.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

My daughter brought over a jar of red meat sauce she made, so I plan to have that with some spaghetti, a salad, and garlic bread tonight. Haven't had spaghetti with meat sauce for a couple of years, so it is time. I love it and used to make it at least once a month. I will just have to see about reducing the recipe so I can make it more frequently. Once in two years is not enough for a great spaghetti and red meat sauce. I am really looking forward to the meal tonight.

It was the first time we visited since early March. We did wear masks and kept the appropriate distance apart and blew kisses through out masks. It was so nice to see her and talk to her face-to-face.

• Cloud Swift
    3 years ago

My husband pruned one of the lemon trees Friday so we have big bowls of lemons from the branches he pruned. The lemons are huge - more than twice the size of what you see in the grocery store, they get bigger sitting on the tree. I'm planning on trying a recipe for spaghetti al limone (which may take care of using one or two of them). Not sure what to do with the rest. I tried making marmalade once and wasn't thrilled with the results. May just put them out front for neighbors.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Can't believe how fast this thread is also moving, and great looking meals. I'm cooking for DH, but mostly salads and fruit for me.

Jasdip, so glad you liked the cucumber soup! Mint is perfect with it!

Cloud Swift, aw, fresh lemons, lucky you! A bistro in Blowing Rock, NC., used to make the best lemonade. I'd watch, and eventually I figured out the measurements. Perfect combo of tart and sweet. I have no idea where that recipe is. Seems silly to have a recipe, but their lemonade was well—loved.

No pics. Nothing exciting here. I'm doing fine, and yes, Sleevendog, I am a bad-@ss! Thanks!

Edited to remove comment that should not go in the WFD thread : )

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I usually have a tough time making hamburgers, they fall all apart when I turn them.

I squished the heck out of it making the burger and it held!!! It doesn't take much to make me happy, I know.

So that, fried onions, and gasp, frozen french fries for dinner. I used the last two slices of my no-knead bread for a bun. Nice and messy!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

DH has the charcoal started for doing a spatchcocked chicken I brined this afternoon. Also a carrot/potato/celery foil pack with fresh herbs. Something bad's going on with my rosemary and sage plants so I'm trying to use what I can quickly and then Tuesday I will cut what's still edible and dry them. Boohoo.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

We're having old fashioned beef stew with buttered rolls for supper. DH is cooking...leftovers tomorrow night.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Several months ago, I bought a whole tenderloin from Fresh Market and put it in the freezer. I do that when they go on sale. I love that they trim it up and grind the trimmings for me. Or I’ll buy one from Costco and trim it myself. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I took the whole tenderloin out and cut it into pieces that were appropriate for 2 people.

Tonight, we had the tapered tail of the tenderloin. It was a small piece but plenty for me and DH with no leftovers. I cooked it sous vide to 133 degrees then seared it on the outside grill’s side burner. To go with it, we had oven roasted potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts with honey and balsamic vinegar over them.

Tomorrow, we are going to have either shrimp paella or shrimp paella salad, a recipe that I’ve had forever. My notation says it is from Deborah PS on Garden Web. Once we have the shrimp tomorrow, we will be out of IQF shrimp. DH will be pleased.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

jasdip... perfectly edible looking to me!!!

we had salmon and tater tots [yeah, I know] tonight after working in the yard all day. and root beer.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

What happened to spring??? A couple of weeks ago, we had snow overnight, twice. Now we have summer temps. Oh I hate summer so much! Good thing hubby isn't here to hear me complain.

We haven't needed to buy an a/c until 3 years ago. Live on the top floor of a triplex with windows on all sides, so lots of cross-flow ventilation. But with temps in the 30'sC for more days in a row, we bought a portable unit that is installed in the patio door. The first year was tricky, buying foam so that it fits perfectly, now it's easy to roll to the door and hook up. But we've never had it put it on in May!

Annie are you finding the same thing?

So out comes the summer salads. Yesterday I made potato salad, cooked pasta to put in the tossed salad, boiled eggs, chopped veggies, made a fruit salad.

The potato salad is the brown chunks :-) Unpeeled with an olive oil, red wine vinegar and whole grain mustard dressing.

I also finished the last of the rhubarb pie. I still have some rhubarb chopped up in the frig, so I'll make a cake out of that today.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

So many good-looking and good-sounding meals going on! Jasdip, I chuckled about your BT sandwich. When I was younger, I never wanted the L, so for some years I forgot that BLT's even had lettuce! And your salad is just what I'd eat now : ) There is not a thing wrong with frozen fries... well, so long as you cook them before eating! Edie, I hate it when an herb or two has some weird thing going on and starts dying. I've yet to keep a sage alive all year, except one year. And I love sage. I agree, boohoo!

I've been mostly hungry for salads and fruit. But DH can't live on just that, so... I made some of those wonderful flageolet beans, and riffed off of Ina Garten's recipe. I added pork for DH, kept the carrots and onions in on the 2nd day and just cut them up. The flageolets are cooked 2 hours, and still had a wonderful texture. 4-hour slow-roasted tomatoes added such a nice intense flavor, and celery barely sauteed was a nice crunch. But the salad was my favorite. Garden baby red arugula with 6-1/2 minute eggs. Balsamic dressing.

Last night was country meatloaf, some of those crashed potatoes which we both love so much, steamed broccoli. We are eating the heck outta the baby Texas Sweet onions.

I've made a salad my Mom used to make several times... baby leaf lettuce and sliced spring onions, massaged with a dressing of sour cream (I used creme fraiche as that's what I had), white vinegar, and a pinch of sugar. Doesn't look like much, but it brought back memories, and just what I was hungry for. Usually the salad is supposed to be wilty from the mild dressing and mixing.
    Grilled burgers this past weekend, with mango, watermelon, and strawberry salad. I took a photo but got only 1/4 of the burger in it... didn't figure anyone needed to see that!

For Monday morning I made blueberry clafoutis - I used half as much blueberries, thank goodness!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    3 years ago

Last night ended up having hot links on Kaiser rolls, potato salad, and corn-on-the-cob. There is one hot link left, so the plan is to have it tonight with sliced avocados, green onions, and hard boiled eggs.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Oh you brought back memories of that salad 2MD. Leaf lettuce with sour cream, vinegar and sugar! I'll have to make that!

I love crashed potatoes even using the skillet instead of the oven. Just a tip, in this hot weather :-) I'm glad you're feeling able, (I won't say "well") enough to eat. Hmph, I tried to find a hug emojie, but couldn't.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

🤗 When I googled “hug emoji” this is what was returned. I always thought it was jazz hands!

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

You ate it too??? How wonderful! Mom always put it on baby lettuce, but last year I bought some buttercrunch at the store, and it was perfect!

Uhm, what do you mean, skillet instead of stove? I'm confused : ) Explain to me as if I'm 5-year-old, LOL! Because it is going to get so much hotter here!

...I got your hug, thank you : )

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

2MD, I am also glad you are finding things tasty enough to keep you eating. Your Clafoutis looks amazing!

• ritaweeda
    3 years ago

Cleaning out the frig. from the Holiday weekend BBQ food. DH smoked a whole chicken and a small Boston Butt Sunday but we didn't finish it off yesterday. So today I pulled the rest of the chicken meat off the bones and made a smoked chicken salad, will either have it on Kaiser rolls or just add it to a simple salad, which we need. There's a small amount of smoked pork left but it's minimal.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

bbstx, that's strange, in the email notification, I can see it, but on my computer here on the thread, it's just a box. Odd. Houzz. : )

Thank you edie : ) . I'm making the salad with the 6-1/2 minute egg again tonight I think. Salmon for DH, and tummy just says no to that : ) BTW, 6 and a half because at 6 minutes of boiling I can't peel the darn thing without cracking it open and the yolk falling out, and 7 is a bit too long. Ha!

3 years ago

FYI, so busy on conference video calls all day, all day, everyday. Complicated business. The new universe. Post covid. Wow what a mess of complications. We are looking at September back at work with major very careful tweaking safe working situations.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Wondered where you'd "gone" sleeve. I'm glad you've done so much prep work, it'll come in so handy now and in the future. Thanks for checking in, and letting us know you two are fine. Take care of business, : )

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

It turned off rainy and chilly today so the leftover spatchcocked chicken is merrily simmering in a pot of broth & vegs. Yumm!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

We had the last of our stuffed quahogs we made last summer and New England clam chowder with oyster crackers. My husband is going to have go clamming pretty soon!! He went fishing on Cape Cod Bay this afternoon but only caught a couple of schoolies. Striped bass have to be 28 to 35" to legally keep in Massachusetts.

• Compumom11
    3 years ago

2MD, you're in my thoughts. Sending you loads of good vibes! Last week I hit the wall with cooking. We had this and that and then on the weekend we brought in Persian food to enjoy with some friends. My good knee is giving me issues so standing for long periods or going up and down to the other fridge in the garage is not happening. Tonight I pulled out a small flank steak and grilled it. Not a marvelous piece of meat, so DH enjoyed his fresh corn on the cob and a salad. He washed it down with ice cream, I guess that qualifies as protein since it's dairy! LOL! I ate some steak, a tiny sweet potato and broccoli from the farm stand. Healthy enough and I enjoyed some homemade (by a friend) lemon sorbet for dessert. Recipe upon request.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

2MD, I've been doing the crashed potatoes in the cast iron skillet vs the oven. Most recipes call for baking them at 400°. The skillet works well.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I have figured out I have 8 - 10 entrees left before I have to place a grocery order. My problem is that I am one or two ingredients shy for a lot of the recipes I want to cook. Nevertheless, I’m determined to stick to my guns and not place an order until we’ve finished up what we have. That means being inventive for some ingredients or finding recipes that fit what I have.

For tonight’s supper, I found a slow-cooker recipe for pork loin cooked with garlic and balsamic vinegar. I think the sides are going to be green pea salad and roasted sweet potatoes.

Last night, we had shrimp paella after a fashion. At some point, DH had picked up a package of saffron rice. It was languishing in the pantry, but still in date. I made the rice using chicken stock instead of water. In a separate pan, I sauteed onions, garlic, and green bell peppers, dumped in canned diced tomatoes, seasoned it with salt, pepper, and paprika. Added the cooked saffron rice. Let everything mingle for a bit. Put the raw peeled shrimp on top and covered the pan until the shrimp were done. Called it paella.

@Compumom11, please post the recipe for the lemon sorbet. I probably don’t currently have the ingredients, but I’ll put them on the list for the next order. The sorbet sounds very appealing!

• shirl36
    3 years ago

Wanting a huge emoji huh? Here you go.....LOL

• wintercat_gw
    3 years ago

Actually lunch, not dinner. I never have dinner anymore.

Roast chicken legs thickly coated with a mix of hot paprika, brown sugar, salt, mustard and Hellman's mayo. I inadvertently left it in the oven for a whole hour (was busy raking leaves in the garden). It didn't get charred despite appearances. The skin was wonderful, and the meat almost fall-off-the-bone and very succulent. Had it with mashed potatoes, which I like with just a lot of butter and a bit of salt. Tomato slices on the side. Peach for dessert.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I've never had mayo on chicken. What does it do? :-)

• bbstx
    3 years ago

@shirl36, the first time I read it, I thought it said “huge” also. It is a “hug” emoji. But a huge hug emoji would be just perfect! HA!

• wintercat_gw
    3 years ago

Jasdip, I never had it either, until today :) It seems to do the chicken a lot of good. I usually mix the condiments with oil and spread the lot on the chicken, but all I have to hand right now is olive oil, which frankly I don't particularly like any more. I used to, but lately I increasingly don't. Why on earth did I buy that bottle to begin with? So I took out the mayo jar and didn't regret it.

3 years ago

Mayo is a fat so it grills nice. Not used it myself but some are using it slathered on bread for grilled cheese.

As usual good salads. Last nights.

3 years ago

With another frittata.

• Compumom11
    3 years ago

Meyer Lemon Sorbet Recipe

Prep time: 45 minutes

Lemon mixture chilling time: 1 hour

Yield: Makes 2 1/2 cups

This sorbet can get rather icy if frozen for more than a day or two. If you want a softer, less icy sorbet, try adding 2 teaspoons of limoncello or vodka to the mixture before it goes into the ice cream maker.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

2 teaspoons lemon zest

1 cup freshly squeezed juice from meyer lemons (about 3-4 lemons)

1 Make simple syrup, let cool: In a small saucepan on medium high heat, make a simple syrup by heating sugar, lemon zest, and water until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove from heat, let cool, strain out the lemon zest.

2 Add lemon juice, then chill: Mix in the lemon juice. Chill, either in the refrigerator, or by placing in a metal bowl over an ice bath.

3 Process in your ice cream maker: Once the mixture has thoroughly chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

If you don't have an ice cream maker, you can pour the mixture into a shallow pan and freeze in your freezer until semi-solid. Then take a fork and fluff it up, returning it the the freezer to freeze firm. Then put in a food-processor or blender to process until smooth.

Place sorbet in an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.

4 Serve: Scoop out preferably with a melon-baller. Garnish with mint.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Thanks, compumom11, for the recipe. I didn’t realize it was made with Meyer lemons. We don’t see those in my rural area. Bummer! However, according to Food 52, an acceptable substitute is equal parts lemon juice and tangerine juice or lemon juice and orange juice. Same with the zest...equal parts lemon and tangerine zest. There may be hope yet!

• Compumom11
    3 years ago

Those subs sound delicious too! I want to think that my friend made it with normal Eureka lemons, but I will check and report back.

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input Wintercat. Sleeve, I tried mayo on grilled cheese once but didn't see what all the fuss was about. No better, imo than butter.

I heated up the burger patty, drizzled some bbq sauce on top and had potato salad and mixed/pasta salad.

• neely
    3 years ago

All the good looking and great sounding cooking going on. I must comment that the salad 2many mentioned with the sour cream and vinegar and sugar dressing brought back memories for me also. It reminded me of a layered salad my old Grandmother used to make and which I must try to recreate and take to my brothers house one day for a good old reminiscent meal.

Currently our restrictions have been lifted a little so that 2 people are allowed to visit family. We visited our son his wife and of course my little grandson who is now 9 months old. I hadn’t seen him for nearly 3 months but the visual phone calls we have done during this period managed to keep his memory of us going so our reunion went very well. So good to be able to cuddle him again. They have been in as strict lock down as us... son working from home and supplies delivered... so we all had no fears and had a great get together.

I took the seafood lasagna and DIL made the grain salad and Pico de Gallo. Brownies for dessert with raspberries.Little one ate raspberries for the first time and loved them. He actually eats a little of everything we do.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Nope, didn't want to follow Neely's seafood lasagne. I usually say that looks delicious, but gotta say it looks gorgeous! Grain salad, Pico de Gallo too! I'm so glad you got to visit your little fellow, I'm sure he filled your heart!

Mom would be thrilled to hear you, too, knew that salad. I'm amazed.

Same salad as the other evening, still tasted so good to me. WalnutCreek, I made your turmeric rice with our salmon, it was the perfect accompaniment! Thank you for your inspiration! Doing this on the phone, so forgive if photos are big...

Jas, with the cast iron lid on? The crashed potatoes...

Oh heck. I don't like doing this on the phone. Always goes wonky.

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Oh, for what it's worth, I put mayo under my turkey skin. Can't taste it, always moist. Never thought I'd admit to that! Ha!

• shirl36
    3 years ago

OH NO!! how dumb on my part...a hug verses huge. See I'm better off staying in the background. So sorry.

• bbstx
    3 years ago

I loved it, shirl36!

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

Ok, with 2 members using the mayo trick on fowl, I'm going to have to try it! LOL

2MD do the potatoes, uncovered in the skillet. Of course, if the oven is already on, pop them in the oven :-)

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Shirl36, I had to re-read to understand what you all were saying... I just got it! Thanks for the chuckle, and don't fade into the background, please : )

• 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Thank you, Jasdip, I can be dense at times. Got it 😊