SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmunroe

Need for portable privacy screens option for install along fence line

mmmunroe
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We would like to increase the privacy in our back yard by decreasing the line of sight of our neighbours in a small subdivision backyard (38' X 55'). The neighbour to the east has a large deck that has a clear view of all areas of our backyard. Neighbours to the west have a raised pool deck that matches our own pool deck and all that separates us is a deteriorating fence that is 15 years old and has shrinking boards you can see through. Both sides of the fence requirement replacement but the neighbours are not interested in doing that at all, nor are the interested in installing a taller fence, when it is time. By-laws in my area require that privacy screens be 3 feet from the property line but that would greatly eat into the deck space around the pool. We are hoping to instal privacy screens that can be removed and stored in the winter (zone 5 Canada) and popped into place for the summer months when we need them.

We would prefer a modern, horizontal board screen that is 7' tall and 5' wide for each side and we will plant trees to fill in the gaps. I have included the actual and then the mock up to give you an idea of what we are hoping to do.

Any suggestions on alternate solutions would be appreciated. (West side)

We would need to install 2 5 X7' screens. I would like to be able to move them if need be.

East Side

Hoping to have a gazebo one day.

We will be adding screens at the base of the pool to balance out the look. We have full coverage when the trees fill in during the summer. The screens at the pool edge would be permanent as they will be lower and anchored to the concrete deck with concrete bolts. There is a 20" drop off of the back edge so we are planting yews and using river rock to keep it dry.

Any thoughts, no matter how creative, would be appreciated. Thank you

Comments (2)