SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_186906804

Another sad story with a contractor, please advise.

HU-186906804
3 years ago

I was a diligent reader of Gardenweb and know that there are a lof of experienced and level headed contractors who read these forums so I hope I can get some feedback. We are doing our kitchen and working with a designer. We found a cabinet maker/installer who had the veneer we liked and was able to do a number of design features we wanted.

Anyway, we paid 50% down and things got going. As install date neared he sent us an invoice for the remaining 50%. The sad part is that our contract is pretty vague and didn't include a payment schedule. He was really (really) pissed about us asking for a schedule that looked more like 50-25-25. I thought it was crazy to pay him in full when we had literally seen no work at all. After a painful negotiation we settled on a 10% withhold.

After installation was completed (like that afternoon) he sent an invoice for the remaining 10%. We went through and found what I assume are customary deficiencies. Some were really trivial and annoying (they left 3 giant bags of garbage, sawdust in the drawers and wood in our backyard) and some bigger (they installed dividers in the wrong drawers) and one pretty big (a large gap in the rear of one upper cabinet that needed to be scribed or shimmed or something).

We sent an email with a list of these and he called immendiately and left an expletive laden voicemail with my wife that ended with "have a good life". In addition to the above deficiencies he owes our GC $350 for coming in emergently to fix a pipe his installer drilled in to by accident and the 5% fee to our designer he agreed to pay.

So the 10% amounts to about $4,000 and this will likely cover the deficiencies. But this is a supposedly reputable custom cabinet maker in Toronto and I find this behavior totally bizarre. Do any contractors out there have any perspective to help me understand what happened? I know our designer was intimidated by the guy and should have nailed down more details on paper and we should have at least had a clear payment schedule. My only interpretation is that he was pissed about losing on the 10% and just wrote it off (half was supposed to go to the designer anyway) and this was his big screw you to us. I mean leaving the garbage is just pure mean.

Any thoughts? Was this just a newbie client and newbie designer mistake? Obviously, he will not support his work and we can ignore any warranty. Should we care about that? Should we sue? Do we have any recourse at all?

BTW, we actually do really like the cabinets - which makes this all so bizarre.

Comments (12)