SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itsabinarylife

Moving from standalone range to built-in oven - single, double, MW?

itsabinarylife
4 years ago

We have a new construction home and have decided on a built-in oven and microwave. We currently have a standalone electric range (6.3 cu. ft. oven capacity) with an over the range microwave (2.0 cu. ft. capacity) and vent fan. We use the oven a couple times a week and will have larger gatherings about once every other month requiring the need to heat multiple food items, bake, keep food warm, etc. The microwave is a daily use item and we use it at all meals and in between for quick heating.

As I research wall ovens:

1. Combo built-in oven/microwaves are out based on concerns with MW malfunctioning and requiring the entire unit to be replaced.
  2. Next option is a built-in single oven and a separate built-in microwave, however I have realized even the larger 30 inch. single ovens are only 5 cu. ft. of capacity meaning we will lose capacity over the current configuration which already feels limited with larger gatherings.
  3. Finally, we can get a built-in double oven with about 10.2 cu. ft. of combined capacity. This feels very generous, perhaps too much but rather have more than less. The challenge then becomes with the microwave. We could also do a built-in for this but a) this will be additional $ and 2) will compromise cabinet space in the kitchen. The alternative is as our builder has suggested, a cabinet shelf for a free-standing microwave - this also eats up cabinet space but is cheaper both in terms of cabinet modification as well as the microwave itself (standalone MW is cheaper than built-in). Aesthetically, I'm not a fan of a free-standing shelf when everything else is built-in and flush but the builder insists it will be acceptable.

I have attached a floorplan of the kitchen here so you can visualize the layout (note- kitchen island is free-standing without any electrical so not an option for the microwave).

I would appreciate thoughts on the options. Bonus- if you can comment on the specific models I am considering based on budget, features, etc.

• Fridgedaire Gallery Double Oven FGET3066UF (single oven is the same model but...single)
  • Frigidaire Gallery Built-In Microwave FGMO3067UF 1.6 cu. ft. or CGMO226NUF 2.2 cu. ft. (built-in)
  • Fridgedaire Professional Microwave CPMO227NUF (standalone to place on a shelf)

Thanks everyone!

Comments (14)