SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Board and batten in powder room—any thoughts?

girl_wonder
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Greetings esteemed Houzzers, I‘m coming into the homestrech of a ”seems Iike it will never end” near-whole—house remodel. I’m designining the board and batten for the new powder room that was added to my old 1940 bungalow.

The Powder room is approx 3x8 (37.5 wide by 94.5 long); with toilet on the left side, then a 32” pocket door, then a buit in vanity on the right.

House’s baseboards are 5.5” and door trim is 3.5”.

My thought is to use 3.5” for the top board and the battens. I prefer panels that are about 12” (or a bit wider) vs the narrow ones.

My current thought on layout:

Starting with the toilet wall, I’d put the 3.5” battens in each corner, then one centered on the wall. This would create 13.5“ panels.

On the wall to the right of the toilet (with the door), we have the 3.5“ door trim, then I could center the batten between that door trim and the corner, creating, 12.25” panels. No batten in the corner on this wall.

The wall to the left of the toilet would mirror the one to the right, and continue with that spacing for the length of the wall, to the vanity.

What do you think? 13.5” panels do not exactly match ones that are 12.25.” Will that be noticable? What other options do I have? My Plan B is to use 13.5 panels all around. This means, to the right of the toilet, we’d have a 13.5” panel from the corner, then a batten, then a narrower, 11.5” panel next to the doorway. Or Plan C we could have 13.5” panels on the toilet and longer wall and have the wall to the right of the toilet be the one exception, due to the door location. Or ???

thanks for any thoughts or feedback. Hope everyone is staying healthy and sane!

Comment (1)