SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara_kerscher

#1 bathroom problem: MOLD...Remodeling advice?

Sara Kerscher
4 years ago

We are in the planning stage of remodeling our master bathroom. My #1 pet peeve is an unusually high mold problem in this house. It seems like it comes through the water - it's in every faucet, toilet, and shower. I've lived in 4 other houses, one of which was 100 years old, and none of them grew mold this fast.

The bathroom is huge, approximately 16'x12'. To help the problem, we installed a heavy-duty fan (best we could find) directly over the shower which runs at least 12 hours a day (with the shower door open). We also put in a whole-house filtration system. It hasn't really helped.

Now we are doing a major renovation. I am moving the shower to the other side of the bathroom and making it a completely open shower (zero glass).

As we plan this thing out, I would really appreciate any advice or ideas on additional things we can do to keep the mold at bay after our remodel. We'll be verifying the mold isn't behind the walls during the remodel, of course. Beyond all this...what else can I do? Is there anything I can do with UV light? Copper? What ideas haven't I thought of? I'd like to consider every idea! Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)