SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kplatt2010

Vacuum Cleaner Tripping ACFI Circuit Breaker on Certain Outlets

kplatt2010
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hopefully there's a knowledgeable electrician out there. Just had a major remodel on my home. We've had issues with a vacuum cleaner tripping circuit breaker (immediately) when plugged into certain outlets. It seems to be only on one circuit breaker (thus far). I vacuumed entire house moving room to room today with no issues in certain rooms that had been completely renovated with new outlets. We have two bedrooms where this is occurring and two outlets on the wall to outside of bedroom. The two bedrooms did not have any outlets replaced. The two outlets on the wall outside of bedroom are brand new. All on same breaker.

We brought up the issue with contractor who related it all to the ACFI breaker. We had the circuit breaker trip in these rooms at other times too.

I did some reading today on the subject and vacuum cleaners will occasionally trip an ACFI, but should not every time. The literature suggested it could be: (1) vacuum cleaner, (2) loose connections in an outlet box as wires are often jammed in, (3) a bad breaker. The contractor is saying the root cause is the ACFI breaker. He's suggested that switching to the standard breaker would solve all the issues. My BS detector has gone off. Anyone out there have feedback to offer me? The final inspection of the home has been delayed with COVID 19. I'm not sure the inspector would know about it unless I share with them.

Comments (22)