SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redmond12_gw

20 amp circuit question

Redmond12
9 years ago

Hi, I'm replacing my in-house vacuum motor with a more powerful unit which draws more amps. When I looked at the receptacle I just assumed it was a 15 amp circuit because I didn't see a 20 amp face plate that I'm used to. Consequently, I was solving for motors which would run on a 15 amp circuit. I found a unit I liked but the motor pull was going to be close to maxing out a 15 amp circuit assuming it was a dedicated circuit. This is a relatively new house for me (built in '79) and I haven't mapped out all the wiring yet to the panel. I was flipping breakers to see which circuit the house vac was on to confirm it was a dedicated circuit and lo and behold it's on a 20 amp breaker. I pulled the cover off the panel to see what the wiring looked like and I see 4 wire 12 AWG bundle with the two hots wired to two 20 amp breakers which threw me. I didn't pull the breakers out but I'm pretty certain it's two separate single pole 20 amp breakers given the "wiggle" in the breakers. I then pulled out the vac receptacle and verified the same wire bundle was terminating in the receptacle. One of the hots terminated in the receptacle and the other was pig tailed and continued on (the neutral and ground were pigtailed and hit the receptacle AND continued on). So, long drawn out story with two questions:

- I assume I've got a "good" dedicated 20 amp circuit for the vac and I can stop worrying about this vac tripping what I thought to be a 15 amp circuit correct? I assume this wiring (which looks original to the house), is simply an electrician's way of saving time so they don't have to run two separate wire bundles from the panel if they need multiple 20 amp circuits.
- For the life of me when I throw the breaker on the other hot (the one that doesn't terminate in the vac receptacle) it doesn't affect anything in the house. I've turned on every light, checked every outlet I can easily access etc.). The vac is on a wall in the garage shared with the inside. I was going to leave the "continuing" wire alone rather than just terminating everything at the vac receptable not knowing if I was just missing something (I've turned the "continuing" breaker off just to see if I notice something eventually). Good idea or...?

Hope this makes sense, any input appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comments (18)