Pantry challenge - dried banana chips

l pinkmountain

Years ago we used to do "POOF" challenges, (Pull it Out Of the Fridge") and also new recipe challenges or challenges with a particular ingredient. Thought it might be fun to start again now, since I am spending a whole lot more time than I used to trying to move ingredients into and out of both fridge and pantry. I used to cook this way back n the day, but my fridge and pantry ended up being so cluttered and my cooking time shorter, so I stopped. But now I again have time to putter in the kitchen using up ingredients, so I'm back at it!

I have a big bag of sweetened dried banana chips that I got for a "make your own trail mix" activity last summer, and I have been slowly "chipping away" at them as snacks, but they just aren't moving fast enough and are in danger of being a stale throw out candidate. Any ideas of a cookie or something else I could put them in to give away or freeze? That's the main reason I can't use them up, we try to limit our carby snacking. But if I could make something that I could give to someone else it might work.

SaveComment5Like
Comments (5)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fawnridge (Ricky)

Throw them in the food processor and make a powder that you can add to cookies, cakes, or bread. Bake today, eat today.

1 Like Save    
plllog

I keep thinking of banana bread. I'd think you could soak some, and adapt a recipe for less sugar and correct hydration.

You could make pudding too, and thence a custard pie.

Maybe some kind of tropical stew. Do you have any goat?

The problem is the "sweetened". That's the only savory dish I can think of for sweetened.

Save    
nancyofnc

Banana chips don't go stale. They are dehydrated which means they are perfectly fine, like, uh, forever. I soften some with melted butter in the micro, add to the smoothies or ice cream or whatever, even sprinkled over cold cereal or pancakes. I just put some of those into my carrot cake muffins today. Don't toss them. They are just sleeping.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I have only purchased them to enhance the dry food I fed to my pet rabbits. They loved them!!

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Wondering how they might be broken up in cookies or muffins? Too hard? Maybe crumble and soak first?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design 7 Steps to Pantry Perfection
Learn from one homeowner’s plan to reorganize her pantry for real life
Full Story
Kitchen Design 9 Questions to Ask When Planning a Kitchen Pantry
Avoid blunders and get the storage space and layout you need by asking these questions before you begin
Full Story
Organizing Post-KonMari: How to Organize Your Pantry
Get the skinny on setting up your food storage so it’s easier to find ingredients and cook
Full Story
Old Dominion Design has been in business for more than 20 years and our principals & staff have over 40 years... Read More