SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What can you POOP (Pull Out Of Pantry) Challenge

annie1992
16 years ago

Elery and I decided that I needed to clean my pantry, I can't imagine why. (grin) I found three cans of coconut milk, some canned figs from Melly, a jar of asparagus relish from Lakeguy, some pomegranite molasses. I need to use some of this stuff.

I've decided to save the figs for Christmas and make a "figgy pudding". The asparagus relish I opened and it's delicious, I've been eating it with a pot of pinto beans I made last night. I know I bought the pomegranite molasses for something.

I've decided that I'm not going to the grocery store for anything except cleaning supplies and milk for at least two weeks, I'm going to live out of the pantry, freezer and my canned goods. My pork will be ready for the freezer in two weeks and beef right after that, so I need to make room and use stuff up.

Anyone care to join me? It wouldn't have to be for two weeks, it could just be for a night, but I think we could have some really interesting "What's For Dinner" threads. (grin)

Annie

Comments (75)

• claire_de_luna
    16 years ago

I think the gnocchi would be great with an olive oil butter sauce, pepper, fresh parsley and parmesan. Sometimes simple is so good.

You know I could make some fresh gnocchi from what's in my pantry. I may just do that, now that my mouth is set for it!

• lindac
    16 years ago

I wonder if there is a prize? And is it permissable to buy things like lettuce and fresh veggies? How about things like TP and Kleenex? And is there a remedy for chicken overload???
    I really need to commit to this for a month....but...it would be so traumatic....
    Linda C

• Related Discussions

pull-out vs. roll-out pantry

Q

Comments (8)
    The thing about a pullout pantry is that there's restricted access to the middle. I think 12"-15" is ideal, though 18" isn't out of the question. It might mean moving this or that to get the other thing, but can be done. That's assuming that you can access the pantry from both sides. 18" is definitely the limit if you can only get in from one side. Looked at the other way, 18" is about the narrowest cabinet that's comfortable to get into with your arm extended to the back. If you go with the pullout, it might make sense to do a full height one, or a pullout on top as well as bottom. Roll out trays are much easier to use, especially for lowers, than pullouts because you can get into them from above rather than only from the side. What they have better than drawers for a pantry is the ability to see in over short sides, and the ability to see all the trays in the cupboard at once rather than having to remember which one has what in it. If I were in your situation, I'd check to see if there were any difference in the size of the tray between the pullout and roll out. I have a feeling (which I'm assuming was created by something I learned along the way) that there might be more tray space in the pullout. If not, then it's not a matter of how much you can store but how easily you can get at it. So, if you have roll out trays, where does the door go? Do you have a 90" hinge? Most Euro style hinges are 90 degrees. Which means that the door is blocking on side of the trays. Perhaps you even have a wall there? I have 170 degree hinges, but those are big and can also can interfere with what's inside, which could be a problem in a narrow pantry. But even with a 90 degree door, you can get in from the top. Plus, it's easier to get into the pantry to retrieve something that slipped over the side. With the pullout pantry, you might want to get a trigger gripper, which can be helpful. Just remembered what might tilt it decisively to the rollouts: You can put more roll out shelves in a pantry than you can trays on a pullout. Because all the trays on a pullout come out at once, you need air space between them to get stuff in and out. With roll outs, you can have trays that are one can high, or one box of X high, and have only an inch margin to the next tray up. In that way, you can fit a lot more in the same cupboard.
    ...See More

Pantry- Pull Out Vs. Door with Attached Storage

Q

Comments (27)
    I weighed the same options over and over. I have rollout drawers like in the 3rd photo. However, I do not have a full height pantry to the floor. My freezer drawer is at the bottom and the the rollouts and shelves above. I get the issues about things getting lost in the middle of pullouts, like the 1st 2 pics. However the same thing can happen with rollout shelves, especially those that are at the higher up. A pro of the pullouts are that it is one motion like discussed. Pullout and everything comes out. If they are not that wide, I can't see most things getting lost. Biggest issue is cans and that is the same issue even with rollouts. Although I did a shallow rollout where the shelf above is a little higher then a 28oz can on its side. I have the cans on there sides so you can read the labels when you pull it out If you are the one putting groceries away, you tend to know where everything is located. That is the plus. When my wife asks where the x is located, I instinctively know and tell her exactly where it is located. Now my cabinet is 31" wide and I have double doors like the 3rd pic. In retrospect, its kind of a pain. Have to open both doors to get something out. Same issue people complain about with french door fridges. Also, the wide rollouts aren't efficient either. Maybe its more my senario since I only have 3 of them but I have a shelf where there are tall things like bags of chips and much shorter items. In retrospect, it would have been better to have a divider and narrower rollouts. This would have allowed me to use all of the space more efficiently. But then again I would loose all the space with the divider and the extra drawer/rollout material. Hmmm.
    ...See More

near fridge...counter/drawers or pull out 'pantry'

Q

Comments (18)
    OK, I am clearly inept at this. I think if you click on the pic, it will bring you to the album and you can resize there. I have tried doing it and it is blurry...and I can't get it uploaded. If this is still awful, let me know and I will try again. Thank you. The "wall" oven is actually under a counter next to the cooktop (it is a rangetop and cant be installed directly underneath). The south wall, as we are thinking, would be like a buffet or a nice furniture piece...but that is not in stone either. We thought about putting a see-through fireplace there. We thought about having the fridge and wall oven/microwave there.
    ...See More

Pull Size for Narrow Pull-out Pantry

Q

Comments (3)
    Willis13 - it looks like the pantry needs something longer than for the drawers. Our kitchen is small, so we have one set of drawers that is 32" wide, but the other drawers and cabinets are 25" wide or so. The tall pull-out seems like it needs something longer, but I can't figure out how long.
    ...See More
  • KatieC
    16 years ago

LOL, 'tis the season. I spent Sunday afternoon POOPing. I only got to the home canned stuff though....old jams, pie filling from '96 (where on earth did that come from?). And I vowed that we were going to eat from the freezer until everything but this year's fruits and vegies were left.

Sunday I picked a bunch of tomatoes so I made the beginning of some spaghetti sauce... POOFed smoked Italian sausage and some smoked peppers. I'll finish it after work Wed. Sunday's dinner was a roast beef that was probably in there for way too long, but it was just fine. And last night I poofed some old pork chops. Not a bad start, eh?

I did notice some things from past swaps and odd condiments I've collected buried in the back of one of the pantry shelves. I hope to get to that this weekend.

• mimsic
    16 years ago

Hey Everyone, Relax! We need to have all those tidbits in the pantry in case there's 1000 feet of snow or a blackout or something great on TV. Just make sure there's ammo for the shotgun so the squirrels don't eat the nuts and the neighbors stand away from the overflowing LC. And keep a manual can opener on hand(and some sternos to heat the water for the jello in case the instant hot goes on the fritz.) Of course if there's any chocolate in your pantry eat it right this minute. It would be a big sin if the chocolate went all dry and flaky in the dark of the night on the pantry shelf! Warm up all those nearly empty honey bears, mix it all together and dip the almonds in, yummy. This is where the shotgun comes in handy - squirrels like sweet, sticky almonds. Oh, yeah, and you might want to restock the marshmellows because they are good toasted over sternos and added to the chocolate...but if you toast a marshmellow, you're going to need some graham crackers...

• jessyf
    16 years ago

I POOPed and POOFed yesterday and whooo weee did my kitchen smell!

I pulled a smoked beef rib and a bag of cut up parsnips out of the freezer (POOF) and made split pea soup (POOP).

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh yum, Jessica, that sounds good. It's cool and rainy here, and I have split peas, onions, carrots, at least one smoked ham hock.

Thanks for the reminder!

But the Liquor Cabinet? Oh dear, that's something else entirely. I have:

One bottle of Bud light left from last Christmas
    Two bottles of (cheaper Sam's Club) Ice Wine
    One bottle of Hard Cider
    One half bottle of Triple Sec (for a jam recipe)
    1/4 cup (about) Galliano (carp, I don't even know WHY)
    1/4 bottle Jack Daniels (for BBQ sauce)
    Half a bucket of frozen margaritas in the freezer (Sherry's leftovers, LOL)

Oh, but I do have a couple of boxes of Jello, LOL, can I make Jello shots with any of this stuff? Well, not the beer, I see another batch of cheddar/beer bread in my immediate future. :-)

Annie

• jessyf
    16 years ago

Oh gawd Katie a thread where we cook with some swap item forgotten and buried in the back of the pantry (sauntering out of the room....)

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I also see a few donations to local food shelters..If you don't want to eat it, someone will. ;o)

• ritaotay
    16 years ago

Don't know if I'm eligible to play, I do it every day... When you have to prepare 3 meals a day you need the inspiration of a full pantry... But it's a real challenge when half of the stuff is loaded with salt and fat... lol

Rita

• User
    16 years ago

Oh I sure would love to play.....my pantry, freezer and fridge need a purge. However we are going to be away until next Wednesday so I can only play tonight and tomorrow. Which is good becasue I don't want to do any shopping anyhow. So tonight it's veggie, cheese omelette's made fom whatever is in my crisper and cheese drawer.

I'd say I'd jump in next week except it's Thanksgiving !!! A double wammy! Not only will I have to shop but I will end up with a ton more food that will need to be poofed and pooped...! LOL

• femmelady
    16 years ago

Terri, seriously, thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for. Our daughter is coming home from college this weekend, so I think one of those chocolate pasta recipes will be perfect!

Claire, jello shots to unsuspecting garage sailors is a great idea! Might really boost your revenues! :-)

• mimsic
    16 years ago

Well I just got back from the butcher the baker and the candle-stick maker - many dollars later, and there's no room on the shelves! But at my house its time to cook for another week-long holiday so maybe I'll play this game next month. Hey, I know...how about giving some of this stuff to those oddly dressed, half-size haunters who come begging every October; not sure who they are or where they come from, but they always have a big bag slung over a shoulder for their odd collection ritual. Best not to give them any of the left over beer or Jack Daniels though, they seem to small to handle that stuff. I bet they'd like the chocolate though... but I already finished that off. Well I guess I'd better go back out to the market and get some more...S'mores? Uh-oh! I think I'm in trouble again!

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Annie; How come you are always dealing with "POOP"
    Do you wash your hads often. LOL

I looked in my Pantry cabinets and found a 5 year old kid,
    that I didn't know I had !!!!!

I have 4 metal locker Cabinets, 36 inches wide x 20 inches deep x 76 inches high, that I use for a Pantry.
    I have enough food to last for 5 years.

One day I'll empty them to see what's growing.
    Have fun with your House cleaning.
    LOU

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Lou, Did he look like this?

• granjan
    16 years ago

My cookbook group snuck into my pantry last month and voted it the place they wanted to be when the earthquake hits!LOL (Mostly because of the 2 baskets of chocolateand the big wine rack, I think.)However, you would be a little short of water, but heck cooking with wine would work. I'm also too rich in coconut milk. Can I make all those beans with coconut milk and red wine and dried chilies!

But I'm afraid I'm with sherry and trying to do Weight Watchers which requires LOTS of fresh veggies. I have been making sone headway in the freezer the last couple of months but the pantry is HARD, to empty.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lou, somehow I seem to be up to my eyebrows in some type of POOP most of my life. There are a lot of days when I'm just in deep doo-doo!

Sherry and Granjan, I'm still watching my weight and I'd like to lose another 10 pounds, so I'm not going to make anything rich, sweet, or fattening. That ought to add to the challenge!

Terri, I think you have the cutest little "pantry rat" I've ever seen!

Mimsic, in my neighborhood the big "ghouls" trick or treat for beer!

Annie

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I just told DH that we're doing this and that he may get three kinds of pasta or some such in one sitting. The things I want to get rid of are "what the heck did I buy this for" kinds of things so nothing may go together. It's probably going to be some strange meals around here for a while. Tonight I've decided to get rid of the Bear Creek Hot and Sour Soup Mix and the Betty Crocker Au Gratin Potatoes in one fell swoop! We'll have some type of chicken with that because that's what I have thawed out.

Beverly

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Well he can't even fit in the pantry now(because it's FILLED)..but he does like to be in there..so he'll sit in the opening, nibbling on a granola bar or the like...That was taken about 3 years ago..so he'd have been about 5.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL, Beverly, how about Cheesy Hot and Sour Potato Soup? (grin)

Terri, that boy is clearly a foodie!

Annie

• mimsic
    16 years ago

If that little boy tastes as good as he looks, I'm coming over to your house for dinner tonight.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

No, he's a sour puss...LOL

Especially when he doesn't get his way..which is alot with Momma..but not so with others..one look at his little dimpled cheeks..and the puppy eyes..and everyone says to me.."how can you say no"...It's easy..NO no NO no..
    LOL
    He thinks since he's the baby..that it's a free ride...I don't know where he got that idea from...

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Terri!!! He is so cute and you can see the dickens in his eyes!!!

Well, I started POOPing today and organized all my flours. I took me almost 3 hours but it is so worth it. Little bags here and there all containing the same kind of flour. Now, everything is organized into large glass jars and each has a label.

I gave a 10 lb bag of rice to my carpenter. So that left only 2 smaller bags which are now in 1 large container.

Michelle

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Consolidation..that's a good thing.. Michelle..dickens is right..
    He just walked in from school and saw the picture again..
    "I wanna be a pantry elf again"..LOL
    I'm POOPing out my hamburger Meal too.. Tee hee
    Only ingredients in the house already... are going to be used..Nothing was purchased special for this meal...

• Marigene
    16 years ago

It IS ridiculous the amount I have in my pantry.....I shouldn't have to shop for months, literally. I am game for this challenge!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Since I decided the name of the game is getting rid of things no matter what, I've already used or given away five items that would ordinarily still be there. I'm loving this, it's almost like you have given me permission Annie. And we ate out both lunch and dinner today or even more would be missing.

• hawk307
    16 years ago

Annie : You really caused a lot of POOP. In fact, some were more like an Pantry enema.

• Adnama
    16 years ago

I'm enjoying reading this, but I can't compete. I just moved 1700 miles; my pantry started pretty bare. 8^)

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

My pantry was way over full and I've made a couple runs at eating it down. When I don't feel well I won't shop so eating down my stockpile is easy. Lots of stuff to work with still. I wonder what goes good with vicodin, naproxen sodium, and cyclobenzaprine?

: )
    michael

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

Ok, I am in, but no promisses. I have one offical pantry, plus storage on both my back "porch" and in the basement. Figure in one full sized upright freezer, a small chest freezer and an extra fridge, all of which I clean out today for inventory and I do not need to shop for weeks.

Ok, I have 7 pork tenderloins. D*amn, the sales were good! Six pounds of shrimp, why? Ok, one went to shrimp cakes tonight.

This will be fun.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Amanda, I think we should all clean our pantries and send the stuff to YOU!!!

Beverly, a lot of mine went to Amanda's house, she's always in the market for noodles, spaghetti, crackers, cereal. Still, mine looks like this:

{{gwi:1564846}}

So, last night's supper was some roasted vegetables (yes, I keep onions, potatoes, root vegetables in baskets on the floor in the pantry), vegetable soup from the freezer and some sauteed scallops that Elery brought with him. I thought the scallops were "cheating", Elery says no, because he brought them, I didn't buy them. Hmmmm....shall we vote? (grin)

{{gwi:1564848}}

Peppi, welcome to the challenge! I haven't even thought of most of the canned goods in the basement yet...

Lou, you are absolutely right.

Annie

• compumom
    16 years ago

Here's a place I can join in-- not long on creativity but definitely meals to be had!
    Friday night I made a spaghetti sauce using a seasoning that I bought last summer in Saugatuck at the spice store. It was a roasted tomato mix that I added some of the delicious tomato frito, ground meat and some open Malbec (wine). It was wonderful! I loved the depth of flavor in the sauce with that powder! I used some whole wheat pasta mixed with a bit of a new package of regular pasta so that Dh doesn't recognize the WW! Last night I used up some of TJ's Mole Sauce on DH's chicken and a bit of feta that's been here since Labor Day! I also used a half of bag of choc chips in some pumpkin bread(that I bought at WF, on Weds).
    This is good challenge Annie!
    We're off on a vacation later this week, but until then, I'll keep trying to use up some of what remains!

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

Annie, your pantry looks teriffic beside mine.

I've finally learned to quit buying any type of mixes. I bought them just in case I needed something quick and never used them. I had one left that was Annie Chuns Pad Thai. I had made one previously and DH loved it. I hated it because it reeked of fish sauce, so he said he would never get it again because I didn't like it. I fooled him and bought another box and that's what he had for dinner last night. That will be the last box of that stuff I will buy. I do have one more Annie Chun Mix to make.

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    16 years ago

I wannnaaa play! I often challenge myself to this anyways, although I don't often succeed. Not for lack of food, but lack of restraint! You people that can list the items in your pantry amaze me. I'd be here all day and then some. My freezer is a black hole as well. I really want an upright but currently now just have a chest. I keep telling my DH that I would be wayyy more organized with more space. This could ultimately be a lie, but I MEAN well hehe. His answer is to get me a new fridge for my birthday in January. That way I will at least have our current fridge/freezer as an extra space. Still wish I could ditch the chest, but I am happy for the interim. Love the comment about the earthquake above. I often tell DH, at least we will have something to eat if there is a disaster.

P.S. Hi Nancy and Ellen..its me, Suzyqt1968 from GB *waving*

The stash..note the duplicate bread crumbs..what was I thinking? Not much apparently!

Spice cabinet- gotta love the mondo bottle of bacon bits. They will probably be there in 10 years.

Snack/beverage cabinet - bound to be some junk I can clear out of there.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Holy bacon bits, Batman...um....I mean nightnurse, that's better (or worse) than MINE!!

Tonight I had parmesan crusted pork chops, whole wheat angelhair pasta with olive oil and herbs and some of those leftover roasted vegetables. I think I'm eating better than I was before!

Ellen, I like the Whole Wheat pasta better than the white stuff.

Beverly, I don't like very many of the mixes at all, they have way too much salt. Same with canned soup. Still, Ashley loves the Pasta Roni Alfredo stuff and Velveeta Shells and Cheese. She's gonna have to eat THOSE herself.

Annie

• robinkateb
    16 years ago

Tonight we had Indian Spiced Brisket, Lamb with Baharat Seasoning and Navy Beans, Braised Chard and Egg Noodles with Garlic Lemon Butter. The 2 meat dishes were in the freezer since the spring. I love that braised meat dishes can be tossed in a dish still frozen to reheat them. After I clear out my pantry and freezer I will have to make double batches every time I braise (in the fall and winter that is most meals).

The noodles have no eggs and have been in my cupboard forever. I bought the wrong package :-) Actually I also don't make egg noodles much, but I realize now i should. Great, now I may need to stock them after I use up the back log.

-Robin

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I've been too busy POOFing to POOP. Two weeks ago I did the food for our student retreat. I WAY over estimated on food and plus this group just are not big eaters, so I have tons of stuff left over. A bunch of sandwich meat and juice and cheese in the freezer, all these apples, carrots, coleslaw, potato salad, granola bars, yogurt. Plus leftover pancakes and sausage that I brought home, chips, dip, soda. I had to throw out a bag of greens today. I wanted to make carrot cake but I'm too tired at this point after making apple jelly, chili sauce and salsa this weekend.

Tonight's dinner was half POOF, half POOP. I had gemmeli pasta (geez I love that stuff) with spinach, red onion, canned mushroom brushetta, cannelli beans, bacon, fontina and parmesean cheese. The gemmelli and beans came from the pantry, the bacon, fontina cheese, onion, and mushroom brushetta came from the fridge, spinach came from the freezer. Seasoned with garlic powder, season salt, italian herb mix, and a shake of hot peppers. Made enough for a couple of dinners next week. I make cafe mocha for breakfast with all this chocolate milk that's left.

At least now that the apples and tomatoes are gone I can see around. My pantry is actually pretty spare. Moving twice in one year can do that to you. I took two bags to the community pantry when I moved last year. Now being on the austerity plan means I don't keep a lot of "extras" on hand just because I might use them. I kind of like getting back to the basics. I still have a whole unused jar of charnushka spice I found today. That was an example of one of my impulse buys from a couple of years ago. Some recipe called for it, which I never made.

• nightnurse1968 (Suzy)
    16 years ago

Dinnger tonight: BBQ Pork in the crockpot: used one full bottle of BBQ sauce out of the 6 I found on my shelf! Making progress here!!!! :-)

Annie, the sad part is that it's just me and the DH here. Not even any visiting kids to blame the extra stuff on. I keep complaining I don't have room for more pretty dishes. I guess if I got rid of some of this food I could find room for a stack or two!

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

I used up some white beans, black beans, kidney beans, wood ear mushrooms, and shitake mushrooms from the pantry. A mixture of beefsteak, rutgers, sun sweet yellow, and roma tomatoes from the garden... enough to fill a 12 quart pot more then half way. The garden also contributed jalpeno, habenera, serreno, red hungarian, and some little red unidentified peppers. I had a couple three pounds of leftover hamburger to throw in the pot. Cumin and black peppercorns from the cupboard. A little cilantro from the fridge and some corn from the freezer. Still it was not right and I was out of both canned catfood and beer. Great night at the store! Stocked up on catfood and found some Honey Porter that I've not seen in years. Then on my way to snag a cabbage I found genuine Ida Reds! While the cabbage was cooking into the chili soup I sucked down a couple beers and munched two of those wonderful apples. With beer and snacks out of the way I put down about a quart of the chili. It was so good I cried... maybe it was all those peppers but it was very good. Then I lay down and took about a 2 hour nap.

Ahead I have curry and pasta to make. No suffering for lack of good stuff here.

michael

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Hey Susy, good to see you.

AB, if I were to post pictures of my pantry, you'd all go blind. So no, I'm not ready to tackle this challenge, but I'll be keeping an eye on it - maybe it'll inspire me. Right.

Sol

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Sol, you underestimate me. I certainly wouldn't go blind, my picture is only of my "dry goods" pantry, LOL, it isn't even located on the same FLOOR as my basement storage. (grin) Let's not talk about the freezer, with all those cherries waiting to be jelly and the frozen shredded zucchini from this summer and the pig that should be ready for the freezer in another week, or the steer that'll be there in another couple of weeks. Sigh. Definitely gotta find some room!

Completely off-thread, you must be a psycho....um....a psychic. You've long referred to me as AB. Well, you know my name is Annie (Angela). Elery's last name is Barnes. LOLOLOL That really would make me "AB".

Annie

Annie

• pkramer60
    16 years ago

Dinner last night was whole roast chicken, some herb and butter rice-a-roni, jarred white asparagus,and a tomato feta salad. Not one new item was used.

Annie and nightnurse, those pantries don't look so bad to me.

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Let's see....
    Thursday night: POOFED beef tenderloins from freezer, POOPED an instant mashed potato packet and a salad from fridge.

Friday: Egg sandwiches, Cukes and Zukes from garden, BBQ chips from half-eaten bag.

Saturday: Out to eat for mom's birthday.

Sunday: Made clam chowder from canned clams and some bacon left from a BLT and potatoes from the garden. We ate some for lunch and the rest will be dinner one night this week.
    Also cooked a whole chicken (freezer) for dinner and stuffed with bread heels (freezer), a little leftover zucchini, shallots, etc. Carrots from fridge.

It was a rainy, nasty day Sunday and perfect for a pot of soup and roast chicken!

Deanna

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

Tonight's PooP'd dinner will be
    Bean and Sausage soup..in the crock pot.

Dried pintos, "plumping" right now.
    Then a jar of salsa, some chicken broth and some onion and garlic in the pot. Last hour, add some hot italian sausage links..just before serving, pull out sausages and slice, and stir back in..
    Will also add some Biscuits..but I did have to buy more Shortening yesterday...

• Solsthumper
    16 years ago

Completely off-thread, you must be a psycho....um....a psychic. You've long referred to me as AB. Well, you know my name is Annie (Angela). Elery's last name is Barnes. LOLOLOL That really would make me "AB"

Why, thank you my dear AB. I pride myself in the fact that I'm certifiable in both fields. Keep in mind, however, that either one of these could be quite hazardous. But combined, oh, they have the potential of destroying entire civilizations. So watch yer a$$.

Btw, what I meant by my 'blinding' threat was that my sparkling white shelves are so painfully bare that it would blind or offend (maybe both) some of you gifted, pantry goddesses.
    Sister, I want to be bitten by the canning bug more than you'll ever know, but I also know it'll never happen.

Sol

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bare shelves? Sol, you? I just can't believe that, your meals are beautiful and much more "balanced" than mine tend to be.

Watch my a$$? Nah, as Empress of the Universe I have underlings to do that for me. Mostly guys have applied for the job, though. (grin)

Both Psycho and Psychic? You must use your powers for good, you know. Wanna be the Royal Weather Forecaster? My pasture suffered horribly this year and those blasted meteorologist just can't be depending on. I'm gonna make them all farmers instead, I swear. Then they can be both broke and dependent on the weather!

As for that canning bug, well, we all create in our own fashion. You do those beautiful pastries and photos, I grow things and can them. We both create, but yours is prettier.

Now, what shall I pull out for supper? I have grape juice to can and tomatoes begging to be salsa. It's gotta be quick, not dirty many dishes and not use much space on my stove. It's cold and rainy here, but that wouldn't stop me from having Ben and Jerry over for supper.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Bunnyman, that must have been one massive pot of chili! Sounds like you've been POOGing (Pulling Out Of the Garden). I have such garden envy!

Sol, just do it, it aint any more work than boiling water!

• bunnyman
    16 years ago

Yeah Lauri... I POOP'ed, POOF'ed, and POOG'ed that 12 quart chili pot within a 1/2" of the top. I ran all the tomatoes, spices, and peppers in the blender before pouring into the pot and boiled them good before adding the rest of the goodies. Made a really colorful looking chili with white, black, and red kidney beans and yellow corn. Finding my blender makes a good spice grinder so I blend whole peppercorns and whole cumin seed in with the tomatoes. Awesome smell... turned many heads when I warmed up my lunch at work today.

The wood ear mushrooms worked out great. I've not used them in chili before and they were a good fit.

Day two of the chili pot going so it needs to be perked up. Room for more cabbage and some onion. Edge is gone off the peppers so I'll add a couple to keep the fire going. I've got two chunks of tenderloin that I was supposed to grill... they will probably fall into the chili pot tonight. Feeling sick again and don't have the energy to cook them proper.

Deanna's egg sandwich sounds really good... both eggs and bread to use up. Reminds me I forgot to buy butter.

lyra

• msafirstein
    16 years ago

Well so far I've given away one 10 lb bag of white rice, used about half a box of bread crumbs, 1 box of odd shaped pasta, emptied 1 huge can of parmesan and used half of 2 jars of brushcetta.

I am also including in my POOP my cleaning supplies. Some of this stuff we moved from FL, for criminy sake, and that was in 1986!

Michelle

• msazadi
    16 years ago

I saw this thread pre-Maine trip and it fit with my idea to use one item per dinner. A lot of my basic pantry is 'interesting' food, either bought by me or given to me by a good friend. I have too many luxury items like this and I do tend to hoard...save it for later. Well later has come, so thanks for starting this one Annie.

First to be used is a UHT Soy milk with vanilla...into the breakfast Cream of Wheat. Now I just need a dinner item.

btw Annie-belle, it sounds as if you are paring down to...move!! Maureen

• annie1992
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Michelle, you have cleaning supplies that are 10 years old? LOL OK, you have me beaten!

Michael, I hope you feel better. It's gotten cooler and I was just thinking it was time for a batch of chili. I canned salsa last night and used up some tomato sauce, the last of the cider vinegar that was opened, and now I'm out of cumin. I guess I won't make anything with cumin until I'm ready to go to the store again!

Supper? Eggs and toast. Hey, I was busy doing that salsa, LOL, I'll have the last of the leftover roasted vegetables for lunch today.

Annie