SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Sourdough starter - Can we talk?

l pinkmountain
4 years ago

I love sourdough bread, but we eat so little bread and other products that would utilize the starter, that I have never devoted the time to it. Also, my house is just not that warm, and when it is warm in the summer, I don't want to do much baking. However, being stuck at home and also being a biologist who loves to experiment and grow things, and seeing as how there is a yeast shortage in the store, I'm wanting to try.

Right now m concerns are:

1. I see beer listed as a possible additive to boost the microbial activity in the starter. Why not wine? Any other good candidates? I know you don't have to, but since I'm already going to have to compensate for a cool home, I'm wondering what I could add. Raisins? Anyone have a favorite? I don't have any of the natural vinegar. I used to buy it but we don't use it enough to justify the expense. I can't get live yogurt.

2. Any tips for cooler fermenting. I know it takes more time, but what has been your experience, what helps/works?

3. Any tips for using the not quite ready for prime time bread baking starter that you have to remove every once and a while? I would most likely use it in a bread that also has more store bought yeast added. Maybe something like using a poolish or sponge? I already do the sponge method, so maybe I can just use the clean out starter as if it was a sponge? Because basically it is . . .

Comments (46)