Learning something new every day....fresh pasta and noodles.
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (23)
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Discussions
Pass the soy sauce and ramen noodles... new salt study
Comments (5)I'm a low-salt aficionado because of my husband's congestive heart failure. Overdoing salt has an immediate affect on him -- swollen feet and fluid-filled lungs. Plus he feels rotten for a few days as his body struggles to get rid of the excess. And I think that most processed foods and restaurant food are overly salty to start with. Even before my husband's illness, I couldn't comfortably eat Fritos although I really liked them. They were (and are) so salty that after a few handfuls, my mouth would start to burn. (Now I get the Lighty Salted version every once in a while) That said, salt has been and integral part of our food for thousands of years. There's nothing inherently evil about salt. And there's nothing particularly virtuous about not using salt. Like everything else, it can be abused. There's no argument that many people consume far too much salt. Witness the person in a Chinese restaurant dousing their meal with soy sauce and then sprinkling on a thin layer of table salt. But, except in certain cases, perhaps striving for 800 mgs - 1500 ms per day is too restrictive. And after five years of low sodium eating & cooking, I can say this with all honesty and sincerity -- no matter what anyone says, I really do notice the lack of salt. In some dishes and with some foods, it doesn't make much of a difference. But with other foods, it's very difficult, if not impossible, to overcome the blandness factor. I agree that this study will create a useful dialogue....See MoreHow many of you make your own pasta?
Comments (27)Azzalea: You forgot to say in your first thread. " Hey, what can I say, I'm Italian " I forgot about Fontes. I think they are in the 1000 Block of 9th st. There was another place I bought my Pizzelle baker and other things, at around 13th and Bainbridge. I don't know if they are still there. We talked about all these places on another thread. Fontes sounds better. I have to go on the web and see what they have. I didn't know they still made the Chitarra " Guitar " Joann : It is very simple. Mine was made of Hardwood. There was a block of wood (about2 inches square X about 12 inches long on each end, about 18 inches apart. The steel wires went from one block to the other and attached at each end. They were stretched tight, by tightening wing nuts. You could actually run your fingernail across and strum a note. But if you did it too much , you got a knot on your head, with a Wooden Grandmom Spoon. If I find a picture of one, I'll post it or send it email. Or both !...See MoreFresh vs Dry Pasta
Comments (10)The Italians I have known said that pasta dishes are about the pasta, and the sauce is secondary. I make fresh pasta frequently, now that I have a pasta attachment for my KA mixer. I used to make the dough in the FP, but I have found that it is just as easy to make a small amount (2 -4 servings) in a bowl, and the clean-up is so much easier that it is faster to make it in a bowl. I made lasagna last week-end and spinach fettuccine last week. For lasagna, I make pasta with two eggs, 1/3 cup semolina, 2/3 cup white flour, and 1/4 tsp salt, to start, and knead in more flour as needed. I never add oil to my pasta dough because that makes it too stretchy. I do have to hand crank my old pasta machine to cut the fettuccine, as I have not found it necessary to get the KA attachment for that. I have buckwheat flour in my freezer that I use occasionally to make Japanese soba noodles, but I'm less keen on those. When I make ramen soup (which is also frequently), I often add a few balls of rice noodles, for different texture. Dried pasta can have egg in it, especially the wide Dutch egg noodles that I like to use in soup. I have never used fresh pasta in soup, unless you count the udon noodles that I buy at a Japanese market. They are not that fresh (although not dried) because they have sat on a shelf for a few days. I prefer the texture of dried noodles in soup, but I prefer the texture of fresh noodles when the dish is mostly pasta. If you have good pasta, most Italian will be shocked to see you smother it with sauce. Most of the dried pasta that I use is in a shell shape or corkscrew shape, and I use the latter for salads. I keep orzo on hand to make quick adjustments to recipes....See MoreFinally made lasagna noodles using rolling pin
Comments (35)Squircle!! I laughed because I still use my old Corning Ware with the blue cornflowers on the sides! My daughter keeps saying that I should get rid of them because they are so old. I tell her, "I am old too. Do you want to get rid of me?" I should give all my kitchen stuff to charity when I die, because she will get rid of it anyway. I will roll over in my grave when she throws my Ankarsrum mixer or my Breville Peel and Dice out. Maybe, I should be buried with them.... I love my stainless steel rolling pin that my father-in-law made for his mother-in-law. (My husband's grandmother) But, my husband loaded the dishwasher one night, and he put the rolling pin in the dishwasher. No more shiny! He did the same thing to my meat mallet. Biscuit and doughnut cutters are still shiny though. Used a Corning Ware dish tonight to make 4 rolls. Lars, your lasagna looks better than the one I made the other day. Mine was really flat and green. Not pretty at all, but it is probably one of the best recipes I have ever made....See More- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Pros and Cons of Making Your Bed Every Day
Houzz readers around the world share their preferences, while sleep and housekeeping experts weigh in with advice
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME10 Ideas to Make Every Day at Home a Little Better
Consider some simple changes and fun tips for brightening your world
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGNRoom of the Day: A Salvaged Bathroom Full of Fresh Ideas
Entwined pipes as faucets, old doorknobs as towel hooks and swaths of concrete bring function and attitude to a master bath
Full Story
BATHROOM MAKEOVERSRoom of the Day: See the Bathroom That Helped a House Sell in a Day
Sophisticated but sensitive bathroom upgrades help a century-old house move fast on the market
Full Story
MOTHER’S DAYWhat We've Learned From Mom About Home
Share cherished memories as Houzzers recall the special traits, insights and habits of their mothers
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESDoes Your Garden Welcome Wildlife Visitors With Something to Eat?
Learn which flowers and plants provide essential food for pollinators and other beneficial wildlife
Full Story
LIVING ROOMSRoom of the Day: Wrapped in Blues and Silvery Hues
Chic and comfortable, this coastal Rhode Island living room honors its classic architecture but keeps things fresh with a cool palette
Full Story
SMALL SPACES9 Organizing Lessons We Can Learn From Small Spaces
Are you designing a little room or a studio apartment? With these clever tips, you can make every inch count
Full Story
LIFEYou Said It: ‘Every Room Should Have the Right Wrong Thing’ and More
This week on Houzz we were inspired to break out of catalog styling ruts and let our design freak flags fly
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING7-Day Plan: Get a Spotless, Beautifully Organized Entry Hall
Take your entry from scuffed up to spiffed up — restoring total cleanliness and order in just a week
Full Story
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)Original Author