Learning something new every day....fresh pasta and noodles.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

We are setting up an outdoor pasta making station. Prepping for when the weather warms up soon. We have made fresh pasta for years but now have more time. Roasting coffee today outside for the next week but need the extra space for pasta. Kitchen is getting crowded with so much going on.

I have an Ikea stainless countertop, (cheapie) that I use in my studio. We will set up on the kitchen deck. Perfect size. Like having an extra 5 ft kitchen counter.

SaveComment23Like2
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

This video from SeriousEats blew me away. Just posted a few days ago...

(I was reading about thin crispy cookies and this was on the sidelines)

HERE

1 Like Save    

I've posted this before but nice to re-visit.

Our flour order was delivered. Just waiting for a warm-ish sunny day.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Cool link. Thanks. I doubt I will, but science is good. :)

So... is your SS countertop a table at counter height/depth? Or a sheet of SS that is meant to be a counter which you're using on top of a garden table or sawhorses to make a work surface? Either way sounds good.

A friend, when she lived around here, had sheets of formica cut to fit her kitchen counters which she kept in her garage. Pulled them out after she cleaned for Passover, and voilà kosher for Passover counters. :) I always thought that was dead clever. :) As is your SS moved to the garden Summer kitchen. :)

Save    
2ManyDiversions

When I've extra time I watch Asian food videos (sorry for the generic term, but I can never remember region's, etc. ), typically no English. I've seen the stretched pasta, in fast motion, never explained like that. Fascinating. Still, probably would use the pasta cutter! Loved the hand made pasta video, I've been trying to find a good one, too. Pulling or pushing pasta with a knife takes a while to get the hang of, mine were thick for a while, but still edible. I must've watched half a dozen elderly Italian ladies do it before I made some myself! They go so fast and make it look quite easy.

Save    
Lars

The stretched pasta is probably Chinese - they are famous for that, and I've watched videos about it but decided that I would probably not do it.

My favorite Japanese show is Dotch Cooking, but it hasn't been on for a while. I've made Japanese soba noodles with fresh buckwheat flour but then decided that I like the dried ones better.

Yakitori vs Oden on Dotch Cooking

Save    
Lars

Here's an article on Chinese hand-pulled noodles in the San Gabriel Valley. I think I need to go there when restaurants are open again. Otherwise, I will be forced to make my own hand-pulled noodles.

We also need to be doing more cooking in our patio here, but the problem here is that it may soon be too hot. It's supposed to be 101° this week-end and is in the 90s today and for the rest of the week.

Save    
Lars

Here's a video showing how to make hand pulled noodles the way I would like to make them:

I think this would take way too much practice.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Crikey, sleeve, are you going to make all those? I loved the video. Thanks.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Lars, that's one of the videos I watched a while, back. I thought it was pretty amazing.

Save    
foodonastump

Looks like a lot of fun to make, I just need to build up more desire to eat it! I got interested in stainless tables, too. I’ve got to look more but the stainless tables I saw at restaurant supply sites were around 31” high, which is not a height I’d want to be working at. Now if I could find a sturdy folding table with adjustable height at a reasonable price, I’d be very tempted.

Save    

I've watched that one before. Ah the beauty of the hand cut noodles with the duck. And the soba. Pretty intimidating.

Why I like the science and explanation that Tim at SeriousEats covers. And nutritional years as a dough relaxer. (who knew!).

Way less intimidating.

Save    

So... is your SS countertop a table at counter height/depth?

It is a full counter top, not just the stainless. Stainless wrapped all sides over a 2inch thick 'Ikea' quality substrate. Not restaurant quality but has that appearance. It was from that 'misfits' area near the checkout.

We will just clamp or screw in onto the garden table or outdoor dining table. I've used it on sawhorses next to the bbq before. (snow flurries today so that project is on hold)

Alex is a hoot. Might put ramen on the list.

2 Likes Save    
sheilajoyce_gw

Years ago, our favorite Chinese restaurant did a demonstration of the noodle making to everyone's amazement. I have never forgotten that magical demonstration over 40 years ago. Thanks for sharing the explanation.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I recently watched Anne Reardon make a hand pulled stringy candy in a similar fashion - also Asian in origin

Save    
John Liu

DD has been making pasta in her isolaation art studio/apartment. She uses a pasta attachment for her Hobart mixer.

I am so impressed with all the cooking you folks are doing!

Save    

Hilarious how Alex uses his pasta roller, lol.

1 Like Save    
petalique

I love Alex.

Sleeve, isn’t it cold outside? We’ve had a lot of New England raw, wet, cold, windy weather.

What sort of flour do you use for pasta?

Save    

I scored this on Amazon a couple weeks ago. No other flour was available but was so happy to find it. 00

Yes, nasty weather here. The worst damp cold Spring in recent memory. (at least it keeps everyone indoors!). Tomorrow will be sunny and maybe 60º. Plans are to braise short ribs. And maybe a side of pasta!

Stay safe, stay strong,

Sleeve

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Oh, that's hilarious! I may try that, just to see if I can do it... Mom used to hand roll hers, and roll it as they did, then thin slice with a knife. As a child it was my job to carefully unroll the tiny pieces without breaking them.

I've never had 00 flour. Some day. Nice cool, overcast here. Planned to work outside, but no time and tomorrow it rains. Hummingbirds at the feeders, bluebirds have found our little house for them, mourning doves cooing. Lovely day, nice evening to grill, which I will. Staying safe here and isolating while the rest of our town prepares to open (eye roll). Hair stylist texted, he's open. I texted no thank you. We did have pasta last night (in keeping with the thread).

Save    
petalique

Thanks, sleevendog. I think I might have some in the cold cellar.

Save    
colleenoz

I was thinking the process of baking the bicarbonate of soda as demonstrated in the ramen noodle video could be useful for making the lye dip for pretzels, if you couldn't get food grade lye.

Save    
naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan

The noodle pulling looks fun. It also looks like a good thing to do outside. I can imagine flour everywhere in the kitchen, even on the ceiling!

Save    
plllog

Colleen, I can barely remember it, but I did that once. When I read your post, I was thinking, "toast it", then while watching the video, I actually remembered (sort of) doing it. I think it must have been when pretzel bread was a big fad here. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Feel-Good Home The Pros and Cons of Making Your Bed Every Day
Houzz readers around the world share their preferences, while sleep and housekeeping experts weigh in with advice
Full Story
Bathroom Design Room of the Day: A Salvaged Bathroom Full of Fresh Ideas
Entwined pipes as faucets, old doorknobs as towel hooks and swaths of concrete bring function and attitude to a master bath
Full Story
Bathroom Makeovers Room of the Day: See the Bathroom That Helped a House Sell in a Day
Sophisticated but sensitive bathroom upgrades help a century-old house move fast on the market
Full Story
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More
For more than twenty years, Steadfast Construction has been setting the standard for excellence as a custom... Read More