SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Let's discuss pasta sauce.

John Liu
9 years ago

I am making a Bolognese sauce. In my house, Bolognese sauce is made by SWMBO or, if she is busy, by me following her strict instructions. As a result, I have never experimented much with different approaches. It is ground beef and pork, chopped onions, diced garlic, tomato sauce, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, "Italian" herbs. Browned then simmered. End, full stop.

Perhaps it is just as well that I am not in command, because my pasta sauce skills are weak.

The very first thing I ever learned to cook was, ironically, a pasta sauce. We were in a beach rental cabin. There was an old copy of The Frugal Gourmet. I opened it, found a recipe for some sort of clam vegetable linguine, and made it. It was pretty good. And that's about all I learned, as far as pasta sauces go. Well, I do make pesto. That's all I do.

So, I'd like to ask, please tell us about pasta sauce. What do you make? What approach, or philosophy, do you bring to the category?. What are your favorite recipes?. What pairing of pasta and sauce do you favor? Any lessons in the selection or cooking of pasta?. How about pasta sauce that is served on something other than traditional pasta?

This is an open ended topic. Take it wherever. Even add meatballs.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022