SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Have you discovered anything new in your neighborhood?

Lars
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Everyone is required to wear masks when taking walks in our neighborhood or when riding bikes, but people are still encouraged to get outdoor exercise. Therefore I downloaded a map of my neighborhood and discovered that Frank Sinatra's grave is in the Palm Springs Cemetery District, Desert Memorial Park less than two miles from our house. I think I can ride a bike through that cemetery, and even on normal days, there is no traffic in that area. We've driven by that cemetery many times and use it as a landmark to help us find our house.

Parking at all city parks (and possibly cemeteries) is now forbidden, but people are encourage to walk to parks in their neighborhoods, as long as they maintain proper distance. They don't want people driving to parks and making them too crowded, but the parks here are pretty sparse anyway. I think it would be okay for me to bike through the cemetery, but I won't know until I get there. I would not park my bike there, however, and just do a drive-by while wearing my mask.

Are you walking/biking in your neighborhood? Are there any special restrictions, and do people obey them?

Comments (42)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    4 years ago

No, have not been out of my house or off of my property for weeks.

Sue

Lars thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • User
    4 years ago

Wearing a mask when walking? That's going to lead to some really funny tan lines this summer.

Lars thanked User
  • Related Discussions

Does your neighborhood have a lot of old growth trees around?

Q

Comments (42)
    I took these in early fall up the mountains from me, so not in my neighborhood, but not too far away The first one is a Q. Alba and the second is a Q. Rubra, both up the mountains from me. And then there are 2 American Beech trees about 5 miles from me, and each tree is about a mile from each other. The jug in the 2 top pics is a gallon jug. Shingle oak about 5 miles from my house. There are some closer to me, actually in my neighborhood, but, I have yet to get someone to pose next to them for scale. I may just bring a baseball cap along for scale. There is a Q. Alba that isn';t super large, but, is kinda old and a bit large, it is hollow now so I best get a picture taken. There was a car which crashed into it about 8-10 years ago. It just may not be there for too much longer. I went on the Pa big trees site last night, and there are not very many oaks in my county, which is Fayette county Pa. I think there are only 2-3 listed. And I was shocked there were no Sycamores listed as champs here. Poaky1
    ...See More

NEW: Neighborhood Clean Out Your Garden Swap

Q

Comments (149)
    Hi everyone!! Yippie, partners!!! For those who are new to the group, send an email to the person you are receiving from with suggestions of what you are interested in from their list. I like to try to give my partner a lot of ideas to make it easy for them to decide what to send me (I basically list everything I like! LOL). You can also send an email to the person you're sending to if you haven't heard from them yet. You decide what you'll send from the list of plants your partner is interested in. We like to pack the flat rate boxes full in this group so keep that in mind. :-) Don't forget to get a delivery confirmation number and post it here when you send your box. I sent both deb and dee emails. Hope they didn't end up in your spam folders ladies! LOL!!! I will be able to send my box early next week. bigmama my friend, i sent your side box out today. Hope you like it!! The dc #'s in the car, will post later. Regina, I've been thinking about you with that nasty storm, hope you're ok!! Night everyone. Amy
    ...See More

If you discovered RRD infected canes in your rosebushes...

Q

Comments (11)
    Question: "If you discovered RRD infected canes in your rosebuses and you could find no sourcepoints for the infection in the neighborhood, would you stop adding any new roses to your property?" My answer: No, I'm still planting roses, and in my instance I know the source points and can't eliminate them. Up wind from out my front door and across open pasture is a tree line (about 1/4 mile away) that is a mess of invasive exotics and I know for a fact there are multiflora with raging cases of RRD in there. I can't do anything about the tree line, but I have cleared out all the multiflora within 150 yards of my house and gardens. In four years I've had one case of RRD. I caught it very early and since it was a rose isolated away from my other gardens cut the cane down to the ground, but I'm prepared to be even more ruthless if a rose in the gardens falls victim. I do what Seil suggests: grow roses and hope for the best.
    ...See More

Floof What have you discovered a new use for

Q

Comments (26)
    Old white washcloths become dishcloths. I set them aside out of the washer, then bleach the bunch prior to washing. I don't even try to open most bottles anymore; just use the pliers that live in the kitchen junk drawer. I clip coupons to my shopping list with a clamp clip and use the clip to keep the list visible on my purse in a shopping cart. (I also like bpath's magnetic clip idea, but my fridge has a cabinet wood front, so no magnets there.) If I hold the list I will lose it several times in each shopping trip when I need to use both hands on something, then walk off without it. Like Elmer, I fold under a bit at the end of a roll of tape. I'm going to need to cut the tape when I use it next; can trim off that little bit.
    ...See More
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

In my specific neighbourhood masks are not necessary. Lots of people walking and practicing social distancing. We don't have sidewalks and very little traffic so the social distancing is fairly easy to do on the road. The trials above us which are used for biking, hiking and running are still open but there are now "no parking" signs at the trail heads.

Lars thanked blfenton
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

Our parks and recreation areas are all closed but I'm in an over 55 community of 200 houses and there aren't any thru streets so it's very quiet. I try to walk every day with a few other friends and we're on opposite sides of the streets. We usually get 3+ miles in an hour and when we're done we stand in the cul de sac and have an enjoyable chat. We don't have to wear masks as long as we keep the appropriate distance but we all have them with us just in case.

No one has been inside the house in 5 weeks and the only time DH has been outside is to work in our yard.

I did discover something 'new' this week while walking. It was a nice warm day and one of the houses that we walked past had their garage door open. The husband and wife were sitting on chairs just inside the doors but still in the sun. I was surprised to notice that all three walls inside the garage were filled with framed pictures.

Lars thanked maire_cate
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

I see people (usually alone) walking dogs or jogging on my street. It's not a great road for either (no sidewalks) and I don't think I've seen anyone with a mask out while doing either.

Lars thanked jojoco
  • nickel_kg
    4 years ago

Quite a few people are walking around, this is a walker-friendly town. Most everyone is abiding by the distancing and no-group rules. A few people are wearing masks when they walk, but my understanding is that masks are for when you're going to be closer than 10 feet, or you're in a confined area like a grocery store -- not really necessary in the wide open air.

We haven't come across anything new or unexpected, really. A friend sent a pic of a baby turtle they saw in the park. It was tiny, no bigger than a quarter.

Lars thanked nickel_kg
  • wildchild2x2
    4 years ago

Have seen masked people in stores but not in my neighborhood. The masked people look sad and fearful and don't make eye contact. The unmasked ones make eye contact and smile. The unmasked ones seem to create social distance more naturally. More aware of their environment and those around them maybe. In general there a bit more traffic on the roads. I don't think this extension is going well. The first two weeks we saw few neighbors. Now whenever I step out I will see someone, either working in their yard or watching their kids ride their bikes, skate or whatever.

Lars thanked wildchild2x2
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The rule in Riverside County is that everyone must wear a mask when walking in their neighborhoods. The same is true for Los Angeles County.

Parks in Palm Springs are not closed - just the parking lots. Here's a live cam from Venice Beach.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    4 years ago

I live between 2 airports and the absence of air traffic noise is sobering. Reminiscent of 9.11.

I haven't been outside in weeks so haven't seen anything but my town has started alternate side of street parking so they can increase street cleaning - apparently there are lots of discarded masks and gloves in streets. Just disgusting.

Lars thanked jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
  • localeater
    4 years ago

DH and I moved last fall and one of the things I was sad about was leaving a 200 acre preserve that was at the end of our dead end road. However, this week we discovered trails that we can get to very close to our house, just a short walk on the road. Only sorry I didnt discover them when I could have used my snowshoes, but I have all Spring and Summer to explore.

No masks here when walking but I only rarely encounter another person and then we all give each other wide berth. In fact DH and I went to a park to hike last weekend and in the park we did occasionally cross paths with others, people were extremely considerate. One group would always stop get far off the trail and let the other group pass. Very civilized.

One thing I dont understand, and perhaps you can enlighten me, people have complained on our neighborhood FB group that people arent keeping their dogs close to them. Am I supposed to be afraid of getting Covid-19 from a dog that comes up to me?

Lars thanked localeater
  • bpath
    4 years ago

We are walking our same routes in the neighborhood, which involves a park and a bridge or two over a wee Creek. New to us this year is that we see a duck nesting in a tree. We have seen ducks in the pond but never the nest. Waiting for the turtles and goldfish to emerge. We are seeing way fewer planes of course. We are, however, walking our routes backwards, which means we are seeing new angles, realizing how large or small some houses are.

Lars thanked bpath
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

I don't think catching the virus is the issue but rather how long virus droplets can stay on the dog's fur. My son has a dog and we're not allowed to touch it. It's not practicing social distancing. How accurate this information is no one seems to know for sure. For the comfort of dog owners we never touch other dogs in the trails right now and in the past they would have gotten and enjoyed a lot of love.

• maifleur03
    4 years ago

Probably people have complained about just having a dog approach them rather than the virus. The "It's a Pitbull" has morphed into almost any dog is dangerous in some areas.

Lars if the cemetery has a website you might want to check to see if it is open. In this area too many people were going to them and simply hanging out so most are closed.

Lars thanked maifleur03
  • Tina Marie
    4 years ago

No restrictions in my area. I live in a rural area and while we do not have sidewalks, there are lots of nice places to walk. I haven't really seen anything new, other than a new family who moved in down the road recently. So far, have only waved to them from afar :)

Lars thanked Tina Marie
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

There are quite a few people who are wearing masks now here while walking me included. I don't want to give anybody else anything and I want to discourage people from coming close to me. So far it seems it is very difficult for many people to keep their distance by 6 feet. On our beaches there are health volunteer people demonstrating how far six feet is. They are constantly discouraging people who are meeting casually on the path.

Lars thanked yeonassky
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

We've been walking the cart path on the golf course we live on which I think we only did once before because it is private property. I don't play golf on this difficult course so I got to see parts of it I'd never seen before. Very pleasant and peaceful. Lots of people walking and biking on it this year which was never the case before - golf course management didn't discourage it this year.

We have lots of people walking and biking but it isn't crowded where I live. People are pretty respectful about keeping their distance and I've not seen anyone wearing a mask when walking or biking in my neighborhood. It's much more crowded in the urban parks and when I see clips on the news more people do wear masks there but not the majority.

Lars thanked 3katz4me
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

There is a small old cemetery near me that’s along my walking route. Lately I’ve been walking through the cemetery and have discovered some graves I never noticed before. Many go back to the 1800s. Other than that, it’s the same old same old.

Lars thanked dedtired
  • marilyn_c
    4 years ago

I see a few masks when I go to the supermarket in Lufkin or the feed store. Those are the only times I go out in public, but speaking of cemeteries....I have never seen so many anywhere in my life. More dead people up here than living people. Most are down windy, little dirt roads. I have visited several....looking for, or at, roses.

As for walking, my property backs up to the Davy Crockett National Forest, and I have wanted to walk through some of it, but I am reluctant. I often got turned around and lost in the little 50 acre forest where I used to live. I shudder to think of getting lost up here.

Lars thanked marilyn_c
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I found the cemetery's web site, and it appears that the cemetery itself is open daily from 9am to 4:30pm, but the offices are closed. I also found this list of some of the people buried there. I was surprised to see Busby Berkeley's name and William Powell.

Since it is close to my house, I think I will bike over there, just to pass through. If I cannot get in, that will be okay too.

I've been to Sam Houston National Forest (when I lived in Houston), but not the Davy Crockett Forest, and so I know how easy it is to get lost there.

• cawaps
    4 years ago

I found a rather large and elaborate home-made shrine at a corner where there is a forced left turn. I haven't been down the street in forever (because of the forced left), so I have no idea how long it has been there.

I've been wearing a mask when walking, and some other people do, but by no means all. I'm not sure what the local rules are anymore.

Lars thanked cawaps
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

We see lot of people walking, especially with dogs. I haven't seen anyone walking with a mask yet.

I am seeing fewer rental homes in disrepair than I have in the past few years. Many homes in our neighborhood have been flipped and become mostly owner-occupied or leased rentals. Original owners have passed away or left and there are many younger people with families.

The parking lots at the greenways and parks have been closed here to lessen the amount of crowds in them. Unfortunately, this means I have no greenway access in my neighborhood since they are doing much delayed construction on my section now, and the bridge is out for several months. I was driving to a lot and bicycle from there. Got my bicycle tuned up as well as a bike rack. I used to bicycle a lot when I lived in Virginia, and I am not the super confident and skilled cyclist I was back then. I really need to be on the greenway. There may be an entrance near one of the shopping centers where I could park and get on at the current end of the greenway. I'd have to get DH a bike and have him go out with me if I wanted to ride in our neighborhood.

I never touch any other animal outside my own.

Lars thanked gsciencechick
  • matthias_lang
    4 years ago

Some of my neighbors seem to be depositing their gloves in the alley after they take their trash to the city dumpsters. I never saw this before--gloves just dropped in the alley.

I know opening a common dumpster can be off-putting in the best of times, but I guess people are quite concerned about picking up germs now. Wish they'd learn how to take off gloves, turning them inside-out, so that they could deposit them in the trash in their own yard or house.

Lars thanked matthias_lang
  • yeonassky
    4 years ago

That glove looks posed in a suspect manner. :-/

Forgot to answer the original question.

The new thing in my neighbourhood is my neighbours painting their house across the street from us. We can now see their garage in vivid detail as it is a blinding white. The charcoal grey they chose is just fine but they put white around the windows as well as the white garage doors. Not my colour choices but my eyes will grow used to it as time goes on I'm sure. It is directly across from where I sit at the dining table looking out front.

Lars thanked yeonassky
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Neighbors, nothing new. There is only 4 of us on a private rd. All homes are on one side of the road. The other side is 80 acres of fields.
    So we don't see each other normal to begin with. Nobody is wearing masks outside and it isn't required. It's been too chilly be out for me to walk anyway. Starting tomorrow we have to wear masks in stores unless you have a medical condition that you can't wear one. The store is not permitted to ask the medical condition or proof of.

Otherwise it has been 50/50 for masks in the stores I've been in.

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

Can I come visit you? I would love to see wild Mustangs.

• Judy Good
    4 years ago

I know our squirrels are fat.

• bpath
    4 years ago

Well, walking along our lake bluff path today we learned that the two sections are no longer connected by illegal trespass. I guess too many of us were trespassing! The empty space is a former military chemical dump, but gee, there‘s base housing and a playground alongside it so how bad can it be? (sarcasm) Anyway, no one ever walked through it, we just found a path that skirted the fence, but now the fence is extended since some time last fall. Oh well. There wee still more people than I’ve ever seen on the bluff.

• sableincal
    4 years ago

Thank You for posting that live cam of Venice Beach, Lars! The weather looks much like ours here in Monterey - overcast and a bit windy. Anyway, seeing it reminds me that we had plans to be in L.A. for a vacation in May, to see family and get to know the city better. Now, of course, the trip is postponed indefinitely. And so odd to think of the freeways with less traffic. There's a new Bosch on Amazon Prime, though, so that will help.

We're in a residential neighborhood and our streets are empty. Almost no traffic and very few people outside walking. We all are emailing and texting our neighbors to stay in touch. It's incredibly quiet.

Lars thanked sableincal
  • Michael
    4 years ago

Friday morning we decided to go for a drive out to farm country. Seven miles from home we discovered a vineyard and winery hidden in the woods along the Scioto River. To our delight they were offering carryout and delivery services. While in the parking lot, we ordered a case of 6 reds.

We enjoyed our first bottle with dinner this evening. Great tasting wine!

When things are back to normal, we plan on attending their weekend events which include live entertainment, food truck and wine tastings.

• Bestyears
    4 years ago

We're up at our lake house. We don't socialize much at all here, but I've 'met' a nice woman whose planting of Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes I've always admired. Of course, all we've been able to do is visit across the street while she was weeding and I was walking Savannah. I've also discovered a wonderful path through the woods -my husband had walked it previously but I had not, and it's just lovely.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

I enjoyed the Venice Beach cam, too!

Lars thanked gsciencechick
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

Haven't been out in the neighborhood other than driving to and from work. I did spend the afternoon/evening in my backyard working in the garden. My daughter and her girlfriend came over to help on the other side of the yard. I offered them my backyard to get some fresh air as they've been stuck in an apartment. They're cleaning out wintercreeper and overgrown honeysuckle for me. I worked on my garden beds.

• User
    4 years ago

I live in NYC and had been staying in my apartment up until a few days ago when I finally ventured out to get some fresh air and walk through a park near my apt. I was surprised to see many people without masks. Even tonight, after Cuomo said people must wear masks if they can't socially distance themselves, I saw people without masks. There is no way to socially distance yourself in the city. I'm wearing a mask but my glasses fog up. IDK how to solve that problem. But to answer the question, I was going out onto my fire escape for fresh air before this and there are many more birds in the area behind my building. I was thrilled to see cardinals, bluejays and robins. Before I lived in the city I was a backyard birdwatcher, so this made me very happy. They are probably always there, but with the new silence in the city they are more noticeable, you can hear them singing. I had a sparrow peeking in my window checking out my parakeet the other day, so funny! More creatures are comfortable coming out in the city with less people around. This is Riverside Park. Before this, the raccoons would just peek their heads out of those stones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLitqe60Jw

• chloebud
    4 years ago

"The rule in Riverside County is that everyone must wear a mask when walking in their neighborhoods. The same is true for Los Angeles County."

Lars, maybe so for Riverside County, but my understand is, effective April 15, it's not a requirement to wear a mask when solo walking or running in LA County. You also don't need to wear a mask while on a walk or jog with someone you live with. A face covering is required for customers and employees inside essential businesses.

Lars thanked chloebud
  • lisa_fla
    4 years ago

Masks are strongly recommend for going to an essential business, but not for outdoor exercise. I’ve been biking and walking. I’ve lived here for almost 20 years and have never seen so many people walking, biking, kids playing, people relaxing in chairs in their driveways. I wonder if they will all disappear again when this pandemic ends. On one walk I took a few pictures. Here’s one

• bpath
    4 years ago

All of our trails are so much busier than ever! People are well-spaced, but it is odd to go on a trail when usually you might see one other family during a walk, and now always see someone up ahead and behind. And if they are talking on the phone, you can really hear them no matter how far away, people seem to think they need to talk louder outside. In some communities you have to wear a mask when you go into a business or meet with someone, but not if you are walking. Some people wear masks, but most do not for walking.

There‘s a new “Corona Shuffle” dance, where people sidle to the outside edges of the trail single file when we pass each other, or if in the neighborhood, who steps out into the street and who stays on the sidewalk?

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

For Judy Good:

• LynnNM
    4 years ago

Lars thanked LynnNM
  • Fori
    4 years ago

I think my neighbor has discovered that his stupid dog barks at 6:30 AM every day. About darn time...

Lars thanked Fori
  • Lars
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We got back to Los Angeles last night, to check on our house and do some maintenance here, which was pretty critical, and so I'm glad we did come back, but we are leaving tomorrow. I did notice that people on our street were not wearing masks while walking down the street, and that is very different from Riverside County. I think I will feel safer again once we leave. Kevin wants to come back in another three weeks, but we have extremely limited contact while we are here in L.A. and do not go to stores here.

• User
    4 years ago

Lynn, what wonderful pictures! How I would love to have a cute donkey follow my car home.

We walk our three dogs in our yard and neighborhood. We don’t wear masks but when on the street stay on opposite sides from other people. I have seen a lot of spring clean up going on here. People are still having exterior painting done and certain landscaping projects completed. The paint contractors just check the inside of the fuse box where there is a printed list of all the colors used on the exterior. These cannot be changed, so the painter checks for the color, gets the paint does the work and gets paid online.

I found that our geraniums were blooming today on the downstairs patio and that the ferns I hung above the retention wall are now blocking all but a sliver of the house next door! The next house on our other side is far away and situated so we cannot see it so we have a degree of privacy remarkable in a community like ours.

Social Distancing, botanical style

Red geraniums now blooming behind the chair complement red devil vinca (which you cannot see). Golf course beyond the hedge

Lars thanked User