SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

Egg salad poll

plllog
4 years ago

Now that we've settled tuna:

1. Do you put pickles in your egg salad?
  2. Do you chop with a knife or chopper? Cut dice with a knife? A wire egg cutter? Do you grate your eggs or tear them by hand?
  3. What dressing do you use? Mayonnaise? Miracle Whip? Vinaigrette? Something else?
  4. Do you put vegetables in?
  5. Crunchies?
  6. Anything else?

Comments (57)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

While I like mayo and sour pickles with tuna, I like miracle whip and sweet pickles with egg salad. Dunno why, but there you go. Deviled eggs are mayo, mustard, bit of sour pickle juice... Not the same as egg salad seasoning for me. Hmm. Must be something wrong with me. I also like egg salad on pillowy white bread.

• twoyur
    4 years ago

I use a wire cutter cut both ways , little onion, mayo, and tuna salad .

• Related Discussions

Egg Salad Sandwiches

Q

Comments (14)
    My egg salad varies according to my mood. Always contains some onion, usually grated, always contains some mayo and mostly always contains some mustard, either Coleman's dry or Grey Poupon. Sometimes it has sweet pickles, sometimes dill, sometimes celery seed, sometimes crumbled bacon sometimes toasted pignoles. Sometimes chopped fresh parsley, sometimes chives too. Sometimes a bit of curry powder. I think one of the clues to a good egg salad sandwich is to chop the egg, not mash it up. Beverly you mean you REALLY have never been IN a Starbucks? Where do you get coffee at an airport? Starbuck is not one of my regular hangouts, I have never had a sandwich there, but I sure have had coffee and a scone or a cookie. in fact there is one in the grocery store I usually frequent and occasionally I succumb to the lure of a caramel latte. I'll have to try the egg salad. Linda c
    ...See More

Your favorite egg salad

Q

Comments (38)
    When I don't want to think about it, I make a simple egg salad with mayo, dash mustard, s&p, sometimes pickles or not. The version with a little curry is just chopped eggs, dash of curry, mayo and s&p. Does anyone eat egg salad on toast for breakfast like I do? It's especially good when in hot weather. Haven't seen anyone call egg salad "deviled egg" which is another thing all together. Thank you for your consideration.......ahem.
    ...See More

Thanks to georgysmom, for the egg salad inspiration :o)

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm not an apple fan. Mine was delicious for lunch today :o) Alisande, my apologies, it must have been you that I got the recipe from. Thank you!. I do prefer scallions to red onions though. That's why I added the scallions.
    ...See More

Do You Have A Recipe for Egg Salad?

Q

Comments (27)
    There is something about sweet pickle relish that turns me off. Don't even put it on hot dogs and I for sure wouldn't add it to egg salad but that's just me :-)) Except for gherkins, I don't even like pickles much and don't think about putting one on my hamburger!! I just don't care for savory and sweet mixed together.
    ...See More
  • amylou321
    4 years ago

Chopped eggs, Hellman's mayo, crispy cooked chopped bacon(1 strip per egg), cayenne pepper, touch of salt. No pickles. I like pickles, but not in my egg salad. I don't hate it. My sister puts pickles in her egg salad and deviled eggs and they are good, but not good enough for me to be bothered to cut up pickles for my own. This is the way i make my deviled eggs too. The yolks, bacon, cayenne, and mayo.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Mine's pretty simple...chopped eggs (by hand), mayo (Best Foods), mustard (yellow or Dijon), s&p and dill. Occasionally some celery and/or chives. Love it on squaw/prairie bread.

• Lars
    4 years ago

This thread from 10 years ago has my take on egg salad. I very seldom make it, however. It always reminds me of Woody Allen and Louise Lasser.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

No pickles!! And I roughly shmush the eggs with a fork. A bit of curry powder, dry mustard, chopped chives or the green part of scallions, S&P and Beau Monde seasoning. Just enough mayo to make it spreadable.

I have trouble with this fixation of including pickles or relish in everything :-)) I pick 'em out of hamburgers if they come with and I don't even like relish on hotdogs. Nasty things!!

Although I did try something pickled today that was great!! A local gourmet farm to table restaurant is sending out 'care packages' of various high end comestibles to local patrons since the restaurant is closed and their menu (usually) changes daily and does not lend itself easily to take out. So it's kind of a build your own thing :-) One of the items included in this week's box was pickled collard greens. OMG, were those good!!!

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Gosh, Lars, you haven't changed at all? I learned to like it with herbs. :)

Rob, I don't do pillowy white bread--I can't bring myself to go there--but my father would give me egg salad on Wonderbread cut in triangles for my summer camp sack lunch. It didn't attract yellow jackets. Never tuna for camp. :) I still remember how it tasted and it was so good.

Re devilled eggs, I put some devil in them. Mayo, but also some pepper, garlic powder, paprika. Or ginger and mustard with a dash of cayenne. It's not really about the devil if it doesn't have some heat! :D

If it's just for me, I often don't bother making egg salad unless it's for a sandwich (in which case mustard on the bread), but I'll put the mayo on the hard boiled egg and eat the veg on the side. :) "Deconstructed."

(Gardengal, I don't blame you for picking the pickles out of your hamburgers, since you don't like them, but my ideal hamburger has thick sliced firm tomato, iceberg leaves, full slice of white onion, and dill pickle chips all over. I usually look inside and make sure the pickles are spread out so I get some in every bite.)

• bbstx
    4 years ago

@gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9), tell me more about pickled collard greens. I can’t imagine. I’m a serious greens lover. I grew up on turnip greens and mustard greens, and occasionally collard greens (Momma thought they were generally too tough to fool with). Until a few years ago, I had never tasted kale, but now I have and I love it. I even ate beet greens and carrot greens once from a CSA box. Even as a child, I loved spinach and cabbage, although I don’t put cabbage in the greens family. My favorite greens recipe is Emeril’s Southern Greens, which is much like Momma made but without the beer.

plllog, DH thinks pillowy white bread, preferably “Wonder,” is manna from heaven.

• KatieC
    4 years ago

Just mayo, a little dijon mustard and salt. Same for deviled eggs, though I do add some chopped black olives.

• shambo
    4 years ago

I always pick out dill pickle chips from sandwiches and burger. I just don’t like them, never have.

For egg salad, I chop up the eggs with a pastry blender — the gadget that cuts in butter when making pie crust. I use pantry ingredients, hardly ever use fresh vegetables. The mixture includes 4 eggs, low sodium mustard, Kraft Mayo, about a tsp. of sweet pickle relish, a sprinkle of celery seed, some freshly ground black pepper, and some freeze-dried chives. I actually do not like the crunch of fresh celery in egg salad. It’s too distracting. And fresh onion/scallion/shallot is too sharp & biting. I add enough mayo to make it spreadable but not gloppy.

It’s one of my husband’s favorite lunches. He really gets excited about it. And even with the lower sodium ingredients, it tastes pretty good.

I forgot to add, I think these food polls are fun. It’s good to focus on something other than the ongoing Covid 19 news, and it’s fun to read about how differently we approach some basic foods. It also gives us new ideas for making old time favorites new and interesting.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    4 years ago

Tigereye, your devilled eggs sound like mine!!

Egg salad - depends on if I'm plating it or making sandwiches. Big chunks if it's just going on lettuce, little dice if sandwiches. Sweet pickles or relish, finely chopped celery. Mayo if I can get by with it or MW if DH is watching. Mustard, parsley, savory, a little dill plus S&P. I haven't made this in a long time. It used to be a way to use excess eggs back in the day when we had chickens.

plllog my burgers have to have dill pickle slices all over the meat too!!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    4 years ago

Was your camp lunch sandwich two or four triangles? If it's four, he and I are a cut of the same cloth

;)

• colleenoz
    4 years ago

I love egg salad sandwiches. Mine are usually fairly plain, either egg smooshed with a fork and bound with a little mustard, mayo and salt and pepper, or a little curry powder added to it.

I used to head the committee that ran our local school's P&C (think PTA) catering wing. One of the things we regularly catered was a tea room at the local annual agricultural show. Parents would donate cakes, scones and sandwiches, which we would sell as an assortment on a plate (like four triangles of different sandwiches, or two or three cupcakes/pieces of cake/scones with jam and cream) along with purchased meat pies and sausage rolls, tea, coffee and soft drinks.

The first year I did it, eggs must have been in plentiful supply on everyone's farm, because probably three quarters of the donated sandwiches were egg salad, which didn't make for much of an assortment. I raced out and bought ham and bread to make up some ham sandwiches to broaden the range a bit.

The next year, all the volunteers who helped the previous year must have remembered the egg salad fiasco, as probably half the sandwiches were ham :-)

The third year, I sent out a form asking parents to indicate what they intended to make so we could try and have an assortment, since the committee would all know what was coming and we could make our own contributions accordingly.

• jill302
    4 years ago

Love my pickles, so relish is standard for me. Use a fork or pastry blender. Just enough mayo and mustard so that it is not dry, do not like excess mayo. No veggies. Salt, pepper and occasionally dill. Once in awhile I will add bacon too.

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rob, it was four triangles. I think of two as "cut in half on the diagonal", which is my preferred way for sandwiches that don't do the four triangles well (like loose their stuffing). Camp was three days per week, and I didn't always have egg salad, but at least one day per week I did.

Bbstx, it's sugar. :) So refined that it's not even starchy anymore. :)

• rockypointdog
    4 years ago

You all are fancy. Eggs diced with the egg slicer thing, and mixed with S&P and mayo. That's it. My kids don't like it any other way.

• foodonastump
    4 years ago

Lars - Whenever someone does that I’m curious whether I’m on the thread giving an entirely different answer. Funny to see me considering capers ten years ago, just as I did today. Don’t think I ever tried it yet!

• sheilajoyce_gw
    4 years ago

Egg salad--lots of hard boiled egg cut with my egg slicer both ways, a generous amount of Del Monte Sweet Pickle Relish, paprika, celery, mayo, a dab of mustard.

• annie1992
    4 years ago

I'm not much of a fan of egg salad, it's too mushy and slimy and just too....weird, LOL. I do eat it occasionally, mixed with some mayo, a bit of mustard, salt and pepper, that's the way Elery likes it. I do better if I just slice the egg and put it on bread with a smear of mayo and the salt and pepper, then it doesn't get that strange texture.

Annie

• Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

Finely chopped egg, mayo and cress.

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Annie, the trick is not to stir it much. If the yolk falls apart and mooshes into the mayo, you get that slimy thing.

Sigh. Cress. Love. We sometimes get upland cress in the stores, but I've only seen watercress (my fave) once in the last ten years. It used to be standard. I think it must have been edged out by kale.

• ritaweeda
    4 years ago

Chopped hard-boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, dill pickles, celery, salt and pepper.

• bbstx
    4 years ago

Ah, if we want to talk about hamburger construction, I have preferences there too. For a classic homemade burger, I prefer a cheeseburger and the cheese needs to be yellow, American or Cheddar - either is okay. Then there must be dill pickles covering the meat evenly and a few shreds of thinly thinly sliced onion. Those go on the same side as the cheese. A thin smear of mustard also goes on that side. The other side is a slice of ripe tomato, iceberg lettuce and a bit of mayo.

If the burger is from one of our favorite burger joints, I want the one that has blue cheese, mushrooms, fried onion shreds, and some sort of steak sauce. Or at the place where we sometimes meet DSS for lunch - caramelized onions and blue cheese, nothing else and nothing else is needed.

I am so ready to go out to eat. It need not be fancy. I’d be happy with a good burger. However, because of DH’s ”comorbidities” (isn’t that a lovely word to have crept into our collective vocabulary!), we are not eating out at all. I’ve read all the how-tos and what-to-dos around curbside pickup, but if we just eat in, then I don’t have to worry with all the extra did-I-do-that-right.

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LOL! It's not so much hamburger construction, but the ongoing comparison of to pickle or not to pickle. You said pickle, so you're all good. :)

• 2ManyDiversions
    4 years ago

SIlver Palate Egg Salad. Fresh dill is key. Wish I had enough dill right now, but I just planted the seed. Simple and delicious.

I just am not fond of pickles in salads, unless it's a homemade quick pickle (for say, 30 minutes to an hour). I do like pickled okra with a greens salad, and bread and butter pickles when I serve chili, so I've not got a full aversion to them. But dill pickles I just do not eat. Never grew a fondness for them.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    4 years ago

@bbstx, I don't know what to tell you about the pickled collard greens......except that they were really good!! Collards are not big players in PNW menus :-) I've only had them once before and I don't recall seeing them frequently in area markets. These pickled greens came from a local farm, so not commercially packaged and with no ingredient list. They were very tangy - sweet and tart at the same time - so I assume any pickling brine with a bit of sugar added would produce similar results.

I just don't care for standard cucumber-based pickles or any pickle relish. I do like cornichons/gherkins but only as an accompaniment, never as an ingredient. Dill pickles have also never appealed to me. But I do like other veggies when pickled - green cherry tomatoes (my favorites!). pickled carrots, beans, asparagus, mushrooms, peppers, etc. But again only as an accompaniment to something else or on a veggie or crudité platter, not chopped up and added as an ingredient in some other dish.

Hmmm.....I just realized I also don't care for fresh cucumbers much either and pick them out of any salads. I wonder if there is a connections.......:-))

• ritaweeda
    4 years ago

I haven't been able to find sweet vidalia onion relish so I got a jar of chow-chow and I love it. But back to egg salad - I just take the knife and cut the boiled eggs all up in the bowl with the other stuff. My dear departed MIL used to actually slice all around the yolk, remove the yolk whole and put it into the bowl and smash it up. Then she would take the white halves and very meticulously cut them up into tiny little evenly sized cubes. I did it my way once at her house and she caught me doing it that way and I thought she was going to have a cow. LOL!!! She was absolutely horrified. She never asked me to make it again. She cut up the eggs the same way for tuna salad. To this day when I cut them up my way I think of her reaction.

• Islay Corbel
    4 years ago

Plllog, I meant cress, not watercress. The original microgreens!

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    4 years ago

I adore all pickles! Hot pickles. Sweet pickles, Dill pickles. Pickles out of every kind of vegetable you can think of. I even made watermelon pickles once. They were very good, but a pain to make.

• plllog
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hmmmm.... Islay, I just looked up "European cress". Got it about the microgreens. Everything called cress here is much more mature.

Gardengal, yeah, I get how someone who doesn't like cucumbers wouldn't like pickled cucumbers.

I love cucumbers and cucumber pickles unless they're sweet. I really love good old fashioned sour deli pickles. The kind that are made from big garden cucumbers. The only sweet ones I don't dislike are Bubbie's bread and butter, which I call "sugar pickles". They're practically candy. Way too sweet to eat a lot of but they're good. I like sour dills too. And hot (spicy) pickles. Hm... Actually, another sweet that I like is sweet and hot, but I don't like them well enough to put them in a sandwich. :)

The thing I find most interesting from these threads is how many of you only make these salads one way. I'm always changing it up and adapting. :)

• krystalmoon2009
    4 years ago

mashed with a fork, mayo and yellow mustard, s & p, splash of red wine vinegar on toasted bread only

• beesneeds
    4 years ago

I use a pastry cutter to cut up my eggs. Gentile stir to almost folding in the other ingredients.

What I season with depends on my mood. Sometimes mayo or Miracle Whip, occasionally a squirt of ranch dressing or green goddess dressing.

Depending on that... splash of pickle juice, maybe some capers. Usually some dry mustard. Sometimes a dash or few of hot sauce... sometimes a bunch of fresh dill. Often some minced onion, sometimes some minced celery. Salt and white pepper.

White, wheat, rye, all good. Nasturtium leaves and thin sliced cucumbers are good extras. Sometimes a slice of havarti cheese.

Occasionally I do Tamago Sando, a Japanese style of egg salad sandwich. Delish, but I don't often have kewpie mayo in the house or feel like doctoring some up, lol. Traditional, fluffy white bread only.

Sometimes I make egg salad with Korean Sauna Eggs. They are cooked till the white turns brown and nutty. I do mine in the instant pot. Mushroom soy, mustard powder, a splash of sesame oil and a good dab of mayo. Bit of roasted ginger powder, garlic powder. Salt and black pepper. Some thin sliced green onions or fresh minced chives. Good on white or wheat.

I've stirred in salsa, minced red onion, a bit of toasted ground cumin, handful of shredded cheese, some fresh cilantro... every once in a while mashed avocado or use avocado salsa and wrapped up with lettuce in a flour tortilla. Some crispy bacon bits are good in this one.

I also love deviled eggs- seasoning variations much like the above. Sometimes when I pack lunches for work, I do up hard boiled eggs by cutting them in half.. then sprinkling well with ranch dressing powder, bit of dill and touch of mustard powder. Salt and white pepper. Sometimes a good sprinkle of cajun seasoning. Much neater and easer to pack up than real deviled eggs.

• bragu_DSM 5
    4 years ago

all of the above.

love egg salad.

• amylou321
    4 years ago

Darn this thread. Got some eggs and bacon and mayo on the way to work. I have cayenne pepper in my spice box already. Boiling the eggs now...

• amylou321
    4 years ago

She's a taster ,not a looker....

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Eating my egg salad lunch and thought of asking this question, then had the good sense to do a search first. How'd I miss this?

My easiest and fave version now is 1 sliced egg, about a Tbs. of mayo, a squirt of Dijon and a shake of no salt seasoning that I got from Aldi, along with a pinch of salt. I use this old french fry cutter to slice the egg - it's perfect for that:

And I like it open face, cut into quarters, on a thick slice of the puffy homestyle honey wheat bread I've been making. I use a lot of butter to grease the loaf pan so the crust is extra yummy and soft.

• shirl36
    3 years ago

Revisiting this post now must have egg salad real soon. Just told DH to put egg cooking on his to do list and I will find some egg salad. Sounds so good.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

I use Delmonte Sweet Pickle Relish only, cut both ways with a wire egg cutter, add celery, and doctor mayonnaise as the dressing with a little mustard and lots of paprika. I like to eat it on Wheat Thin crackers, though on celery stalks it is good too.

• mrsjack_gw
    3 years ago

I only noticed one person who used minced onion in egg salad or deviled eggs. I use a variety of what I have on hand for both, but finely minced onion is a must!

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    3 years ago

chop eggs with a fork, add hellmann's mayo, a little mustard, S&P, dust with paprika. same recipe as deviled eggs for me.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

Chopped egg, onion powder, black pepper, dab of mustard, mayo and a pinch of sugar. Chill well.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I make Mom's recipe.

Eggs, chopped with a knife.

Sometimes a little celery, chopped.

Pickles - dill.

Mayo, (NEVER Miracle Whip)

Mustard, either Dijon or dry powder

Mild curry powder

Salt, pepper.

Mix gently with a spoon, add to bread along with a little lettuce. Serve while still warm.

My main change is to toast the bread before adding the lettuce and the warm egg mixture.

• nancyofnc
    3 years ago

When I helped out at my son's grade school lunches (he's now 55 - do the math) they had an ingenious way of chopping HB eggs. They laid the 4 dozen whole eggs on a half-sheet pan and pressed them with a square-holed cooling rack. Quick!

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Every time this thread comes to the top, I find myself craving an egg salad sandwich for lunch. Alas, I succumbed to that yesterday, so it's tuna today. I'd still like the egg salad, but DH says no.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

That's a shame, sushipup! I have no problem eating an egg salad sandwich almost every day😊

• bcskye
    3 years ago

Love egg salad. Eggs are cut with a knife, mixed with homemade zucchini or pickle relish, mayo and mustard.

Madonna

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    3 years ago

Sushi, you do not have to make an entire "recipe". You can cook two or three eggs and one egg goes in tuna salad and one or two eggs makes egg salad. Drop a little of each thing you like and taste, add more if needed. if you make the egg salad first, you don't even have to mess up two bowls.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

DH would sooner eat brussel sprouts than mix his tuna with hb egg! Heavens! If you've never met a purist before, I'll send him over to your house to demonstrate. And I only get egg salad when he has something else, like leftovers that I don't covet. And yes, aside from the leftovers, we have the same thing for lunch.

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

love, love love egg salad.

eggs double diced with egg slicer or using a metal French fry cutter.

a bit of Mrs Clarks [midwest thing] or miracle whip and dollop of good mustard. add some/splash AC vinegar and just a touch of sugar [or use sweet pickles diced for hot dogs] a smidge of cumin, diced green onion and I like tiny bits of celery [DW does not]. Slightly moist mix, not dry.

on lettuce, a tortilla or bread ... not picky