SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean_russum

HELP! Need advice on flooring

J Russum
4 years ago

Hello,

I have a very open split level home and sometime in the future we would like to redo the flooring on the main level (includes front entryway, living room, kitchen and dining room) and possibly up the stairway and into the 3 bedrooms upstairs. I would love to have hardwood floors but it doesn't make since with having 2 dogs that come in and out of the house frequently - no getting around wet/dirty paws and toe nails. We have lived here for 25 years and plan to stay for another 20 plus years. Currently, we have porcelain tile in all the main floor except the living room that has a nasty (picture many stains from dog accidents) 25+ year old carpet. I am very hesitant of going with tile again on the main floor since almost every tile is broken in the kitchen - very bad installation job - yes we did it ourselves :( I also hate how the grout lines get so dirty and it's too hard on my feet. I was thinking of LVP but our living room gets a lot of sun exposure and I have heard that LVP doesn't do well with sun. I hate blocking the windows with curtains since it looks out to a beautiful tree line and we like the openness of the view - watching the deer, etc. I don't want to put any film on the windows either because of warranty issues on the windows. We would also like to instal whatever flooring we decide on the stairway leading upstairs and into the 3 bedrooms - which also have the same 25+ year old stained carpet. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there any brands of LVP that do better with sun exposure? The living room is only 12'x13' and is open to the front entryway and on the other side the stairway leading upstairs. Since we are planning to stay at least another 20 years we would like quality flooring over cheap stuff that doesn't hold up over time. Thank you for any advice you can give us!

Jean

Comments (4)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner