SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_648243275

Need advice: choosing floor, kitchen reno...help!! :)

Hi,

Hubby and I are doing some major renos, all new flooring throughout the house and all new kitchen. We are having trouble deciding between hardwood/engineered hardwood and luxury vinyl planks, but more importantly, I'm having a really hard time trying to decide on a colour.

Ideally, I would have gone with a grey tone in the floor, with walnut or chocolate brown cupboards and counter to match. The hard part is that we have our dining room set from my grandma which has an orange tone in it. (My grandpa was a little colour blind or loved orange! lol) It's a piece that we might refinish but not until the table needs it, so maybe in about 10 years.

I should note that it's open concept between the kitchen and the dining room. So you can see the dining room table from the kitchen and vice versa.

I have included some pictures of colour examples. The first one is of some hardwood floor samples. The very large piece is the leaf from the dining room table. I have chosen (from L-R) a grey tone, walnut and a medium brown. The light one is a possible cupboard colour if I went with the really dark floor.

The second example (with the chair) is the dining room leaf with the newly reupholstered chair, the hutch and the example of vinyl in a grey tone.

So here's where I ask the question: should I go with a grey tone? Brown tone? Go with a darker floor or medium floor? (I don't like light coloured wood.) Anything thoughts to choosing colours to compliment each other? I'm hesitant to "match" because I think there might be "too much wood" and I don't like orange! lol

Anyways, any ideas and help is appreciated!! :)

Comments (4)