Problem With Keeping Breville Toaster Oven Crumb Tray Clean

ritaweeda

I have a Breville Toaster Oven and it's a great product so far. But, in the instructions it says NOT to line the crumb tray with foil. I used to do that with the old one but maybe I never read the instructions, too. So the problem is, when anything drips any kind of oil, fat, butter, etc. onto the crumb tray and bakes on, it's like a layer of varnish and is almost impossible to get off. I've soaked it in glass cleaner several times and still it's a bear scrubbing it off. What is the deal with that metal that they use in there that it's so hard to get clean? Instructions say not to use any kind of abrasive cleaner or sponge on it but this is just ridiculous trying to get that off without using something more than a mild detergent and sponge. Anyone have a secret remedy?

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Bookwoman

Are you baking things directly on the wire rack? I don't have a Breville, but when I heat up anything other than toast I use the tray that came with my Cuisinart and line it with foil. That keeps the crumb tray clean.

Even with foil, the tray itself eventually gets stained; I use steel wool to clean it. Yes, it scratches, but I'd rather see scratches than baked-on grease.

Save     Thanked by ritaweeda
Yayagal

I have the Breville and I always use foil. I get the non stick one. The crumbs etc. slide right off it.

maifleur03

You can purchase non-stick liners for toaster and regular ovens. Silpat makes some but there are other companies. I just looked on Amazon but probably places like Target etc. would also sell something similar.

I would remove the pad completely occasionally.

ritaweeda

It's only when using the toaster function that the spills happen. I make garlic toast often with olive oil on the bread and that's mostly where the spills are coming from, sometimes from butter, etc. When I bake I use the baking tray that came with the toaster. I've looked it up about not using the foil, evidently a fire can easily start with using foil in the crumb tray, didn't know it back when I did it with the other one. I'll have to look for the item that you are referring to, maifleur. Do Silpat items take high temps? I've never used any of them.

Save    
PRO
Anglophilia

Mine never bakes on and yes, I get cheese drips all the time. They slid right off.

Save    
anneliese32

I don't use a toaster oven but have used a Silpat liner (Bed, Bath and Beyond) in my oven since years. It has not problems with being heated to 450 degr, don't know about higher than that since I don't use the grill.

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

I cut a piece out of one of those black oven liners to fit the tray in the bottom of my oven. Easy to remove and clean

1 Like Save    
dedtired

I have a breville toaster oven. I just pull the tray out, dust off the crumbs and wash it if it needs it. Why line it with foil? I guess if something might spill,over, I could put foil on the lower rack.

Save    
maifleur03

ritaweeda from the silpat site since it is being marketed by them for toaster ovens I am making an assumption that they take high temperatures. https://silpat.com/products/silpat-toaster-1?_pos=1&_sid=75affd683&_ss=r

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Cleaning How to Clean Your Range and Oven
Experts serve up advice on caring for these kitchen appliances, which work extra hard during the holidays
Full Story
Cleaning Your Guide to a Sparkling Clean Kitchen
Tackle food messes with this comprehensive collection of targeted and tested cleaning methods
Full Story
Cleaning 10 Things Clean Freaks Know to Be True
Are you completely committed to domestic cleanliness? Then you may recognize some of these spotless truths
Full Story
For more than twenty years, Steadfast Construction has been setting the standard for excellence as a custom... Read More
All American Painting Plus is a full-service, owner-operated professional painting & contracting services company... Read More