SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Code for height of receptacles and switches on backsplash?

Peke
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

When trying to figure out the best way to lay out the tile so I don't have crazy, impossible cuts or slivers of tile, I found out that 1 receptacle and 1 switch is 8" down from the upper cabinets. The double receptacle in the middle of my backsplash is 7 1/2" down, and the far right receptacle is 7 3/4" down.

Welcome to my world, where my contractors didn't think about the receps/switches being level; they just eyeballed it!

1. So, is there a certain distance/height they are supposed to be from the countertop or from the uppers? It looks like I will be removing drywall and moving them to all the same height.

2. Can I remove just the backsplash drywall or will all the cabinets and countertops have to be removed? Please tell me I will not have to do that.

3. How far apart are the receps supposed to be? Recep on the left is 10" from a 24" deep cabinet. Double recep in the middle is 92" from that same cabinet (72" from first recep), and last recep is 154" from the same 24" deep cabinet on the left (64" from double middle recep and 10" from the corner wall on the right).

4. I know receps can't be behind the rangetop, but how far should they be from the rangetop and the sink.

5. If I use 6" x12" subway tile, staggered, should the receptacles be placed horizontally or the normal vertical? That would affect only 2 of them, the far left and the far right. Light switch has 3 switches. Double recep is a square.

Thanks for any advice. I circled them in blue.

Comments (11)