SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bentbrookhouse

Help with new layout for living/dining room and where to put TV?

Jess B
4 years ago

Hi all, I hope you can help me with the layout and how to delineate spaces with different functions. We recently bought a mid century home and are trying to modernize it (luckily we like mid century and I think it is hot right now?). The house is multi-level and the space I'm posting about is entered into from the front door. There is a long rectangular living room space with wood stove and that is also open to the dining area. A small kitchen borders the space.

My questions are: How can we separate the living room from the dining room without making it awkwardly laid out? We currently have a sofa and coffee table in the living room and want to add more seating, possibly swivel chairs (indicated in the diagram). Here is the dining set we plan to order (expands from 6 to 8 seats). We like that rug too! We are thinking of one area rug in each space. Sound good? Is our sizing reasonable? Any other ideas for arrangement to delineate space or other furniture we could consider?

Secondly, we'd also like to add a small TV. This wont be the main TV area (we have a den) but we do want to include one without making it too much of a focus. Any suggestions for placement, and how to make it "subtle?" We were thinking of placing it on the wall that's opposite the sofa (above the wood stove is another possibility).

Photos of the layout and empty house attached.

Comments (3)