SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtyphoon

Advice appreciated for TV/Sofa layout in new living room..

mtyphoon
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello folks!

I moved into my town home with my SO not too long ago from a smaller apartment and now finally ready to furnish the living room. The living room itself isn't exactly one giant space, it's sort of been divided into two smaller sections, one being bigger than the other, due to the walls coming in the middle of the room. The bigger section has a vaulted ceiling that I'm planning to install lights in. My current living room furniture consists of an older Ikea BYAS, a 49" 4K TV, an Ikea bookshelf, and a brown leather couch that my friend let us borrow while he's living outside the country.

The current challenge is putting together a nice layout to include a potential 55" or 65" TV, most likely mounted on a wall, along with a new sectional somewhere (I'll probably replace the couch with something similar once my friend reclaims his couch). We want to keep the living room feeling "open" with a good amount of space for foot traffic, while also having ample seating for entertaining our guests when they're around the TV. However, due to the living room is being divided into two spaces, I'm stuck between three layouts, all with pros and cons.

This is the first layout:

I am fond of this one as it meets the "open" space criteria between both sections of the living room. Downside is it doesn't let me place a sectional around the TV due to limited space in that section of the living room, which makes it harder to entertain guests. Additionally, it feels wasteful to have the bigger section of the living room not being used. I would probably place a sectional in the vaulted ceiling section.

This is the second layout:

This layout makes use of the bigger half of the living room. I lined up the couch (which would be replaced by a sectional) to be the minimum optimal distance for a 65" 4K TV from the wall, which is supposedly 5'4". The other blue tape is at 4'6", for a 55" 4K TV. The back of the couch is about 3'6" away from the hallway entrance. The SO thinks the couch would be too close to the TV in both scenarios. There isn't too much room to maneuver here, but provides good seating opportunities at the cost of "closing off" the living room and limiting foot traffic space, especially between the hallway and the living room.

The last layout involves placing the TV in the corner (where this chair is):

I would probably mount the TV in the corner, and place the sectional against the back walls (where I'm standing for this photo). I could get a corner mount or a swivel mount (but a swivel means I can't place a large TV against either wall corners without it sticking out since they just aren't wide enough). I'd also probably invest in a corner storage unit.

Finally, a rough floor plan of the room:

Thanks for reading this wall of text! Would greatly appreciate any layout/furniture advice.

Comments (3)