SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chimodern

Am I being unreasonable? Hardwood Flooring Issues

Lisa L
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We just had white oak hardwood flooring replaced in an area of our home after a water damage incident. After seeing the floors, I expressed concerns to our GC about numerous uneven joints, gaps, and large chips in the wood and asked how he was going to address it. I got a quick, rude email in response noting that wood is a natural material and not going to be perfect. He noted that there are similar imperfections in our existing hardwood floors but you do not see them after filling and sanding. I agree there are imperfections in our existing floor that I do not notice on a daily basis, but after scouring our existing floors for wood filler and flaws, I do not think the magnitude of the imperfections are comparable.

Shortly after the GC had visited the site, since he had not seen the floors yet, I received another snarky email saying that they would redo the floors but basically would not guarantee the work the second time.

I am by no means a perfectionist. In my daily life, I tend to be passive and let things go but we are spending thousands of dollars on this so I do expect some level of quality. The majority of the floor looks good with some small imperfections that I would be perfectly fine with, but there are huge gaps throughout the floor (The area replaced was approximately 200 sq feet and there are issues every couple of feet) that I just don't think can be fixed with wood filler and are not acceptable. It just kills me that this could have been easily avoided with a little more care from the installer and/or some additional oversight from the project manager.

As far as I am aware no moisture measurements were taken before the flooring was installed.

Am I being unreasonable?

Comments (9)