SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianela7analabama

Did I damage my roses? Please help

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

hello there my friends. I have always been very cautious when fertilizing my roses, but this year it might have gotten the best of me. I used Osmocote early in February and due to having a record amount of rain I thought maybe it had washed away some and reapplied before the required date. Now some of my plants have horrendous leaves markings and I think I might have caused it for being to fertilizer happy. Fiji has never gotten any fungal diseases in my garden and it does not look like my usual flavor of blackspot. It is dark red marks like rings. Could it be bacterial? All plants are not showing the problem.

have you ever seen anything like this? If it is fertilizer burn I guess there is nothing I can do except wait and see if they make it. Please advice.

Dianela

Comments (56)

• 4 years ago

If I saw that on my roses I would think I had Rust fungus...

I associate fert. burn with dried brown edges to the leaves...

dianela7analabama thanked User
  • 4 years ago

Thank you Marlorena. I will spray for fungus this evening or tomorrow morning and see how things proceed.

• Related Discussions

How can I prevent 'bird perching' damage to my roses?

Q

Comments (17)
    I have a courtyard garden so there is limited space to move things around, I moved the taller roses to a safer spot and provided more perching material between the feeder and fountain and that has helped. So far the only bud I've lost this year was the tallest one on my Dream Come True rose, it was about 6' high and it was the only damage done to the whole plant so I'm pretty sure that the culprit had wings. I've never seen a hawk visiting my garden, but there is a bluejay who likes to swoop in and frighten away all the smaller birds. I'm thinking that most of the breakage occurs when they are taking off to get away from the bluejay, or possibly it's the bluejay but I've never seen it perch on the roses and I have witnessed the smaller birds doing it frequently. My dog Lola is a boxer-lab mix and she hasn't shown much interest in plants, she only cares about digging for gophers and eating anything gross she can find. I haven't been able to use manure in my garden for years. On the other hand she keeps the squirrels and other critters away during the daylight hours, at night the neighborhood cats and owl take over. Thanks for your interest and help!
    ...See More

My Knockout Rose Bushes- Did I kill my rose bushes?

Q

Comments (2)
    Right, don't fertilize until they have recovered and have put out plenty of leaves. Bloom Buster is the wrong kind of fertilizer--regular Miracle Gro or Miracle Gro for Roses is fine, or any reasonably balanced fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or 18-6-12. Watering correctly is the most important thing. Keep a 2" mulch of leaves or bark around the roses. When the soil under the mulch feels dry-ish, water thoroughly with 2-3 gallons for small plants or 5 gallons for larger, plus or minus for extremely hot or very mild, cloudy weather. Usually once a week is fine. For new plants, I divide the ration in half and water twice a week.
    ...See More

damaged rose help please

Q

Comments (2)
    I would tape it up, we have rescued lots of branches torn like that after the Cyclones and they have survived. Mind you they were not roses, but there were plenty of soft wooded Hibiscus. Sorry to hear about your rose , its terrible when things like that happen and yours is such a pretty one. I do hope it recovers ok ..Cheers..MM.
    ...See More

I damaged my climbing rose

Q

Comments (20)
    Since I have people answering, can you help me with my other climbing rose ? This one is White Dawn and being quite sensitive and ornery. I planted it at the same time as the LC and it is in the same quality soil and compost and gets sun . When I first planted it, some of the pretty pot was still left in per the directions to protect roots. I think that was a bad choice because it rained heavily many days and I think got too water logged . I used my water meter and it was very wet. I dug it up, took peat pot off , allowed roots to breathe and replanted without pot. It is still looking depressed. Do I cut my losses and get another White Dawn , or is this one salvageable? I had cut all the yellow and sad leaves off but more turned after my attempt. Thanks again for helping a newb out :)
    ...See More
  • 4 years ago

My leaves look like that on top if they get rust. But you have to turn the leaf over to see the rust colored part, since that is always underneath. Do yours have rust spots on the other side?

dianela7analabama thanked Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
  • 4 years ago

Not fertilizer burn.... been there, done that. I also associate it with brown crispy edges or terminal point.

dianela7analabama thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 4 years ago

I’ve been saying for a long time that we need a pathologist here.

And not just an ordinary garden variety pathologist.

A plant dermatopathologist.

dianela7analabama thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • 4 years ago

No Rust ladies the leaves are perfectly green on the undersides with signs of other damage. I have at this point sprayed my entire garden to see what happens =). I got my first bloom today from princess Anne, she is the winner this year two weeks earlier than usual.

Rifis YES that is what we need =P. I might have to try and bribe some of my dermpath friends to look into expanding their expertise. To my great disappointment regular surgical pathology training did not include plant dermpath or looking through a light microscope and seeing alien viruses moving inside human cells =P like they are able to do in TV shows....<----- always wanted to do this

• 4 years ago

I have seen leaves like that here and there. I’m not sure what it is, but I have noticed it on older leaves. I sometimes pick them off, but that’s about it. The new leaves look clean, so I don’t know what it is. I’m sorry that I’m no help, but your pictures look VERY familiar. Lisa

dianela7analabama thanked Lisa Adams
  • 4 years ago

At this point I am also thinking it definitely may be a new strain of blackspot/some sort of fungus in my garden because it seems to be affecting the roses I don’t spray due to their usual resistance to my regular blackspot.

=) thank you all for helping me out. I was a bit on the crazy side when I first saw it.

OT my first Blooms this year.

Princess Anne

Clematises

• PRO
    4 years ago

Beautiful clematis photos, mine are just starting to leaf out so i still have a while.

dianela7analabama thanked Dirt Digger Z6NH
  • 4 years ago

thank you Dirt Digger. My clematises have taken 3 years before doing much, but finally I am starting to see more than a single bloom. Looking forward to seeing yours.

• 4 years ago

Dianela, what gorgeous clems already, and I am an admirer of Princess Anne, and yours is just lovely. You are so far ahead of us around here, you lucky thing. I agree with Marlorena and Vapor that this is not fertilizer burn. I get a few of those spotting leaves (very few) in early spring, and I just ignore them. The whole thing goes away on its own here. I'll bet your spots do, too. Diane

dianela7analabama thanked Diane Brakefield
  • PRO
    4 years ago

These are last years clems.

• PRO
    4 years ago

• PRO
    4 years ago

I planted about seven others that i cant wait for this year.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Sorry to go off track from this thread.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Thank you that is clematis venosa violacea, a vittacella that grows to about 12 feet.

• 4 years ago

Diane thank you very much. Princess Anne is one of the heaviest and earlier bloomers in my garden, I am glad you like her. We are on a super weird schedule this year with my very few tulips and peonies blooming right now and some of the roses starting around 2 weeks earlier than last year. Thanks for commenting on my post. I was surprised to see the spots on Fiji that is so normally healthy and the fertilization thing was on my mind and I just freaked out. Hope you are staying safe at home gardening.

DirtDigger your clematises are AMAZING =) in every way. I wish mine looked like that on a good day. How old are those clems? I have to admit I have a bunny in the yard that has been eating mine consistently, but mine are weak and can’t compare in any way to yours. Could you please let me know what your beautiful clematis are called? They are so lovely =) Thank you for sharing.

Lisa yes the first one is Josephine, then silver moon and Nelly Mosser I think it is called. I have to try and figure out what my clematises are called because I planted many of them a couple of years back and I did not keep record thinking I only "cared" about my roses and I regret it now. I have always liked Crystal fountain and I almost ordered it this year, but I ended up getting Diamantina. I am glad you mentioned Crystal fountain has done well for you so I can make a move and finally get it some time =)

https://donahuesclematis.com/product/diamantina-evipo-039/

--- OK so the top of your leaves look EXACTLY how some of mine look. So maybe it IS some rust that hasn't developed fully because since I am such a crazy lady that inspects her roses constantly found it early. That is very interesting indeed. Thank you!

I just went outside and took this picture of my barrel with some clematises. Do you recognize this one ones . I am not sure what it is

I also planted nelly M with iceberg and it has bloomed before the rose so the combination I had in mind is gone lol

• PRO
    4 years ago

Dianela, the oldest of my clematis are three years old, list from the top

Nubia (blooms in flushes all summer) then paired together Hagley hybrid and Ruutel next is Niobe ( blooms actually wilt in hot sun but bounce right back) then there is Little duckling, Pink champagne ,Multi blue,Venosa violacea, the next two paired together are minister (very hardy monster)and Samaritan joe. The yellow one is Helios followed by pink champagne again.

Those that you have listed can actually be frustrating because they take longer to mature, Nelly will actually bloom twice depending on how you prune her,she is in pruning group 2 most of mine are pruning group 3 which can be cut down to six inches tall in late winter.

A little trick that helps with the rabbits that i do is place a few crushed garlic cloves around the base of the plants rabbits and gophers hate the smell.

New ones i planted last year are Corinne, H.F young , Pink fantacy,Stolwijk gold, Avante guard,and two others that aren't coming to mind. I will take photos when they bloom.

Sorry to ramble I love clematis can you 🤪.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Oh Arabella (a rambler) Sapphire indigo, Ristimagi.

That second to last one you posted looks like Lady caroline nevil.

Hope that helps.

• 4 years ago

Dirt Digger, your clematis are just so lovely. I especially like the gorgeous single bloom (Pink Champagne?). Still, it's hard to pick a favorite, right? I wish I could figure out how to grow more clems in my crowded garden. I just have one, Rosemoor, which picks up all the purples and deep rose colors of other plants so well. These pics of Rosemoor are from last year. Everything is going to be so late this year, but I'm behind schedule so maybe that's a good thing. Diane

• 4 years ago

• PRO
    4 years ago

I don't grow rosemore, though now i might have to get one, Beautiful!!

That single bloom is a young multi blue, here's a pic that shows how large that bloom was.

• 4 years ago

Thanks, Dirt Digger. What a beauty that one is. Rosemoor has large blooms, too. Diane

• 4 years ago

Thank you thank you Dirt Digger. I also love clematises and I have planted over 50 of them at this point, but they are tiny and many are repeated. So feel free to teach anything you can about them. I will go and get garlic and see if it helps me. I just saw my polish spirit eaten up again today after it had managed to get on Sally Holmes which I have planted next to it. Thank you very much for the advice.

Diane if your garden is crowded, then crowded is perfection. Your garden is lush and vibrant and romantic. Your clematis looks spectacular and that is one I had never seen except in your pictures. I love the different shades it takes and how rich the color is. Thank you for sharing. Are you having a cooler than usual winter? Why is everything late? Our weather has been crazy this year with floods and tornadoes due to the warm weather.

• 4 years ago

First digger that Multi Blue is beautiful. The color is so blue and 🤩 wow that’s a large bloom.

• 4 years ago

Thanks so much, Dianela. Fifty clematis?! I am impressed, and you have more space than I thought. Are you growing them on fences, arbors, or up trees? I've found that good old garlic powder wards off rabbits. I don't know about gophers--the few around here in the past were totally underground when they did their damage. They burrowed up to my first Young Lycidas and ate its roots all while entirely underground. This was a number of years ago, and we mostly have badgers picking off the gophers before they can establish themselves around here. When I first moved out in these hills, there were gopher holes with a pile of frass next to the entrance all over the place, but the badgers moved in and wiped them out (along with the coyotes; they sometimes work together). I'm so proud of myself--I'm growing a great crop of garlic which I started in early fall. I'll harvest it around July, but it's not for rabbits-ha. We have two awful squirrels now, and I'm worried about what they'll do to my tomatoes and potted stuff like herbs and hot peppers. I'd like to see a squirrel bite into a habanero! Diane

• 4 years ago

Those sure are beautiful clematis! I look forward to seeing yours with the ‘Lauren’s Dark Grape’ poppies again, Diane. I’m glad to hear that it’s Venosa Violacea, Dirt Digger. I just couldn’t find its name in this brain of mine. Mine is fairly new, so I’m looking forward to seeing blooms like yours. I love seeing your Multi Blue, as well. I left mine at my previous home, but I really like it. I could only bring a few plants, so I left it behind. My Sapphire Indigo was eaten by those pesky gophers. I’m still sad about that one. I lost quite a few to gophers and a questionable “helper” a few years back. You’re reminding me of how many I’ve lost. Maybe I need a badger, like Diane! Just kidding! Those things can do some damage and I’d be scared for my kitties.

Dianela, I really like Crystal Fountain. Mine is in lots of shade, so it gets soft green tones to it.

I have Diamantina as well, Dianela. It’s finally growing well, but I don’t like it where I put it. I’m going to wait for a while before I move it. I’m really afraid I’ll damage it when moving it. It’s in a tight spot with lots of other plants that I don’t want to damage either. I have several clematis that I really like, but I’m getting tired of typing.

Isn’t it odd, that I found the rust on just that one leaflet? Now I know to pull those off regularly. Lisa

• 4 years ago

My goodness these are beautiful. Sara Ann, I'd like to add my condolences on your brother. I'm sure that pain never wholly heals. Your mom, dad, Aunt and entire family are/were all so gorgeous and sweet. Losing them must have been hard also as it never seems we have them long enough. Jim, what a sweetie. I guess you haven't seen Asher in person yet. Hopefully, soon.

I don't grow any clematis. I wanted to get one from Aldi's this year, but as with the bagged roses this pandemic has gotten in the way. I guess there's next year. I have plenty with the roses and snagged seeds a good while back before things got restrictive. Pruning is taking forever between the raindrops. The front is complete and I'm working on the upper back. I consider that I have 4-5 areas, but these two are the most intense since they have so many climbers. Then to fertilize and add amendments. Almost everything made it through this winter completely unscathed... I know I'll have to scale back my expectations for Maggie and others in future years, but I'm enjoying their winter cane while I can!

• 4 years ago

Vapor, so this is where that post ended up. I was just enjoying your photos of your walk on the spring thread. I'm so far behind there, I'm afraid to post anything.

Lisa, your Crystal Fountain is just exquisite. I would love to grow that one. What are the lovely pink roses? Most of my poppy seeds must have blown away, so I'll have to reseed in some spots. I wish I could send you a clump of Dara, since those blasted voles? gophers? ate a bunch of yours. I just remembered I need to check a rose (Royal Bonica) that a vole had tunneled around. I found a small mountain of chewed off grass that the little devil was stockpiling in his hidey hole. I removed that, and replaced it with some yummy vole bait. I am not nice. The badgers we have are extremely shy and have done no damage at all around here. They live in the gully and hills. I don't consider them a pest, but most people are rightfully wary of them. Diane

• 4 years ago

Lol, Vap! I’m in the same boat with Diane. I’m so behind on the spring thread that I’m afraid to post. It really gets going this time of year! Diane, the rose is the DA, ‘Mary Rose’. She was such a mess that she’s long gone.

Shoot! My phone timer is going off. I intend to return, but it might not be until tomorrow morning. Lisa

• 4 years ago

Sorry about leaving so abruptly, last night. I had my alarm set for “the latest time I could possibly still go through the drive-thru at CVS to pick up two RX’s. I made it in time.

I’m super glad to hear that those badgers aren’t digging in your yard, Diane. Now, I DO wish I had a badger just outside my fence line to keep the gophers away. The cats caught 7 young gophers on Sunday morning, and I got some big ones in the trap. I hope they at least slow down. Between the gophers and slugs, things are disappearing fast. I have some Dara and Orlaya seedlingsleft, but nothing like the amount I had before. I’m out of Sluggo Plus, so I’ve been going out in the dark with my headlamp to hand pick the slugs. I can’t believe how many there are! They are ruining my little dahlias, and who knows how many seeds germinate without my seeing them at all. The slugs eat during the night, and can eat a newly germinated sprout in the blink of an eye. I’m very tempted to go get some Sluggo Plus today.

My poor little bedding dalias....

I took a quick picture of my ‘The President’ clematis, yesterday between rain showers. This one lives with Darcey Bussell and the strawberry patch. Lisa

• 4 years ago

Lisa, the like button and time stamp don't seem to be working (houzz, anybody there?). But I'm happy to see your gorgeous Prez (much prettier than Trump--sorry I couldn't resist). OK, the like has started up, but on recent threads there is no time stamp. Anyway, I'm not happy to see your slug damage. But reading about you going out in the dark reminds me of what Dulcey of Oregon gardening fame (more about that later) did for years for her horrible slug problem. And all her friends did this, too: they all went out at night armed with scissors, and you guessed it, they cut slugs in half by the hundreds. It's not that bad and quicker than picking them off and drowning them (I don't have the pests, so this is what they say). I do cut grasshoppers in half when we have them, which is pretty rare. Living in the desert hills has some advantages. Your kitties are amazing--seven young gophers! Finn has caught a few voles, but he needs to step up to the plate. Of course, he could be leaving the dead ones where he killed them, I guess. But back to badgers--I think they are much too shy to get so close to humans' houses for digging in the yard. I've seen their diggings down in the gully, and I've seen the actual animals, too. They are the world's fastest diggers, just about, but their stubby legs can't carry them fast, so coyotes stand by to catch anything, like rabbits, that get away that the badger can't chase down.

Your prescription chores sound like mine, except I have "flunkies", ie, family to pick mine up. That wasn't nice to say. Perhaps, 23 days of absolute quarantine is getting to me. Take care, and don't do too much shopping for slug bait. Diane

• 4 years ago

Diane, I think we all laughed, especially me, having been a "flunkie" on many occasion! Lisa, have you ever tried the beer method? I had them a long time ago, at least to where they did much damage, and that did work for me.

• 4 years ago

hello Ladies and gentleman. I am sorry for the delayed response. I typed one long post and it disappeared, so I am going to type a bit and submit and try to edit while saving all along to see if that helps. I am having to go in to work some this week, hospital is not doing elective cases so everything we are doing is high complexity and it has taken a toll on my half team set up, so I am going to try and go in and help where I can.

Diane it is so cool you are growing your own garlic, tomatoes and potatoes. My husband has some veggies going but they still tiny. I think we really want to start growing more of our own veggies after this summer when I get back home permanently so I may need to ask you for some tips. I wish some badgers would move in into my property, we have all kind of undesirables around here. My house is on 4 acres but I can only garden very close to the house because everything else just gets eaten. I had this dream of large ramblers in the back trees and planted 3 kiftsgates and some other ramblers and they never made it past a few inches. When it comes to clematises I have planted everywhere, some are on my arbors and obelisks,trees, but the majority are some of the "compact" varieties that grow 6 to 7 feet so they are in my rose beds without any support but my rose bushes. Out of my 50ish clems I am not even sure how many I actually have left, because there are many I can't find even when the area is marked. I have at this point bough the largest bottle of powered garlic I was able to find =) Thank you very much.

• 4 years ago

Lisa your Crystal fountain clematis is beautiful. I love love the green tones. How much shade are we talking about ? I am always looking for anything that can take some shade. I just had two trees removed from my lake house in order to make a tiny-bit of sun for some roses, but in a small lot covered with giant oaks and pines it is hard to manage. Removing trees is actually really expensive (I did not know this until very recently) so every time I have to pay for it I keep calculating in my mind how many roses i could have bought with that money =). I am glad you posted the picture of your leaves so I could see the rust, now I will continue to check my leaves for it.

• 4 years ago

Vapor I just saw your post and realized it was probably meant to go somewhere else and it ended up here. I am terribly sorry to hear something happened to Sara Ann's family, I am so behind checking on the spring thread that I have no idea what happened. The spring thread moves faster than I can keep up with so I always end up posting here and there in slower threads and not being able to post there. I am glad to read your climber and a lot of roses have done great this spring. I am sure they will be looking fabulous before long. Looking forward to seeing your roses.

• 4 years ago

Diane I hope your rosa royal Bonica is doing ok. I love animals but once they start eating my garden I am done being nice, so I hope those voles ate their yummy bait.

WOW Lisa I am sorry to read the slugs are messing up your plants. I planted many petunias and now they appear to have been half eaten and your post made me wonder if it was the slugs. Your cats are awesome on catching those critters, I hope this will give you a break. Unfortunately Rangiku refuses to even walk on grass so she wont be catching voles/gophers any time soon (or ever). lol

• 4 years ago

That’s right, Dianela, I had almost forgotten about your adorable Rangiku! How is she doing? My kitties are not nearly as delighted as I am with the days of heavy rain we’ve had in the past few days. The memory of those gophers is still fresh, and Millie whines by the sliding glass door all day to go find more. My Crystal Fountain receives just a few hours of morning sun. It’s bright shade for most of the day. My “bright shade” is brighter than most, because of my location, but Crystal Fountain blooms better than most in this location. It can’t climb into the sun, as many clematis like to do. It’s been so happy, it even produced a seedling there. It’s over 10 years old, now that I think about it. Crystal Fountain has been in three different homes, until it’s present (and permanent) home. It’s age might help a lot with blooming. They can take a while to really show what they can do.

I’m going to continue this in a bit. An old fat kitty wants something and won’t leave me alone, until I comply. “Yes, Master! I’m coming to do your bidding!”’ Lisa

• 4 years ago

Lisa, is Finn down there at your place? That sounds like me responding to a young, fat kitty. He sits by the glass door, making noises, and then stretching up and actually tries to move the door handle. He knows what will give him freedom. Finn did catch a puny mouse yesterday, but no voles. Of course, I had to remove the mouse from the patio. At least the critters are never eaten. It's all for kitty good times. Oh, I hear the Master calling. Diane

• 4 years ago

I’m back. Sebastian has this habit of finding the noisiest item nearby and tapping it relentlessly until I see what he wants. He favors the plastic bag-lined wastebasket in my room. He’ll use anything he can find that’s in the same room I am. He first gives a few verbal requests, and then begins his tapping. He won’t stop until I see what he wants. He’s been asking for WAY too many treats lately, so I was telling him “No Sabby.” It turns out he wanted to be let into the garage to use what I call “Sabby’s Big Boy Potty”. He likes the big one without a cover, and uses that one if I’m nearby to let him in there. I’m almost always nearby, so I let him in and out frequently. The noisy tapping is minimal during the night, because I never entertain requests for treats or playtime in the middle of the night. He still tries occasionally:)

I haven’t done the beer thing, but I have read about it. It’s not something I have on hand. I would love to use a scissors on my slugs Diane. Unfortunately, most are too tiny! They must have recently hatched, because some are little bigger than a pinhead. I did find a couple of big fat ones, so those two could have been snipped. When it’s warmer, my petunias get eaten to bits by little green worms. BT works well, but I dislike the hassle of spraying anything. BT is safe. I just dislike the mixing and spraying part itself.

It has rained 3” over the past few days. That’s a huge amount for us, especially so late in the season. I went to my local nursery to get Sluggo Plus and maybe a few veggie starts or seeds, but they were just closing the gates to close early because of the rain. What a bummer. I ended up going to Home Depot, but they only had regular Sluggo in big jugs. I didn’t want such a large amount of regular Sluggo, since I have so many earwigs and pillbugs along with slugs and snails. I bought a small box of “scary” slug and snail killer, and I’ll use a little in the front, where Millie won’t get into it. I did score a case of paper towels there, so it wasn’t a total waste of time. By the time I got home, I was exhausted. Changing gloves and masks and wiping everything down is SO much work! I’m already a slow poke who limps along, but this situation has made me even slower. I’m not so sure I feel like braving the nursery today. I think Amazon might be the way to go. Lisa

• 4 years ago

So Lisa, you have the dinky California slugs, as opposed to the big, macho Oregon slugs. Oh, well, maybe all that rain will grow bigger slugs for you. Just kidding, of course. If you have the chance, read "Back in the Garden with Dulcey", published several years ago. She's a big advocate of using the scissors technique on slugs. Dulcey was the beloved Oregonian gardening columnist for many years. After she passed away, her husband, also a columnist, gathered together what he thought were some of her best columns, and the book was published. It's still quite popular, and I've read it twice. Lots of humor, too, and a second book of her columns is out, which I will read before long.

I've gone nowhere for 23 days, and it will continue for me until things abate. I'm 74 and have two underlying health conditions that make it dangerous for me in this current situation. Diane

• 4 years ago

Lisa, your cats caught 7 gophers!! Wow!! They are great hunters!! Darn those slugs!! Handpicking them...I don't think I could do that. Way too gross. Shiver!

I can't grow clematis for the life of me. The only one that survives is one against the house, and it's a zone 2 clematis. I've tried many zone 3s...and they just die. They are such gorgeous plants, and I was hoping to add some height to my garden with them. But nope.

Dianela - really? You have 4 acres, but you're confined to planting near the house, because of critters. What a shame! That would drive me bonkers! :)

So kitties can be as demanding as dogs are. LOL

dianela7analabama thanked rosecanadian
  • PRO
    4 years ago

Wow i missed a lot here, lisa any chance i can borrow those cats lol. I have a family of gophers here that have begun to rear their uglyugly heads.

I also have a slug issue, I use the baits and hand pick. I have no idea where they all come from! I have read that they hate to crawl across egg shells and seaweed, luckily i live by the ocean so i am going to give the seaweed a try.

It makes a great fertilizer as well.

• 4 years ago

The eggshells work. Don't know why I forgot about that trick as it's actually the one I have used in the past.

• 4 years ago

I’m going to give the egg shells a try, Dirt Digger. Like Vap, I’d heard of using them, but somehow forgot about it. I feel like I should bake something now, to use some eggs. My sweet tooth would really enjoy that.

Diane, I looked up Dulcey’s work, and the results are waiting for me after I finish posting this. Thank you.

I meant to post some pictures of the huge blooms on ‘The President’, along with Darcey Bussell. It rained off and on, so it wasn’t until early evening that I went out to take the pictures. I found lots of slug damage on the clematis blooms, and some were starting on the ripening strawberries. I tied more of ‘The President’ to the tomato cage, and picked slugs. After multiple trips inside to get things I needed, I finally got the rest of the clematis off the ground. Of course, by then it was dark! I cut a few Darcey B stems and arranged them around the clematis, after breaking a few rose stems trying to get them in the shot. I had had a stressful day yesterday, and felt pretty discouraged by the slugs eating my strawberries, and then accidentally cutting a big chunk of the clematis vine off. I decided I was taking a picture, dark or not!

After some cleanup and arranging.

This morning

Here’s a picture from the day they caught 7 young gophers. It’s Sebastian’s turn to check it out in this picture. Lisa

• 4 years ago

I’m adding another picture of a favorite clematis. I used it as a cut flower here, clematis ‘Franziska Marie’.

Here’s ‘Franziska Marie’ with her partner, ‘Golden Buddha’. Lisa

• 4 years ago

Soooo sorry I have missed a lot and I have to go back to work. Stay safe I’ll be back to read everything as soon as I can.

• 4 years ago

Carol, maybe you could grow the Type # 2 & 3 clematis in pots and put them in the garage too over the winter. The atragenes clematis grew well in z 3 Alaska for me, but the large flowered ones all died too from cold eventually.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Those photos are beautiful lisa, great minds think alike. I also paired a blue clematis with an apricot/orange rose.

I paired H.F. young clematis and Above all climbing rose last year so they are still babies, but cant wait to see how they do.

Your photo of the president looks an awful lot like my multi blue.... I've often wondered if it was mislabeled because it never gets the big bushy stamens of multi blue.

Then again I have cut all the way back each year except for this one so we will see.

Great pics again!