SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bardzil

Help with designing banquette

bardzil
4 years ago

I am trying to figure out what to do in our breakfast nook. The dimensions are 136” wide by 61.5” deep. With schools closed here, we need to figure this out so they will have a place to do school work. We have no table!

option 1 - built in bench across the back with chairs on other three sides. we are a family of 5 so I need a table that seats at least 6 people comfortably. i found one table that may work that measures 78.7” x 39.5”. I am a little worried the chairs on the ends would not have enough space. There would be about 27” between the end of the table and the window sill (which just a out front the wall about 1.75”). I know 36” is recommended space between a table and wall to allow a chair to pull out comfortably and I think also to be able to walk behind the chair when someone is seated. In my case, I know no one would be able to walk behind the chair when in use, but is there enough space for the someone to at least sit in the chair? My thought is maybe it doesn’t matter if you can’t walk behind those chairs. We only have 5 people so most of the time, one side will not be in use and people can access the bench from that side. Also, it’s not that big of a deal if the person seated on the end has to get up to let someone out of the bench. I cant go much smaller than this and still seat 6 comfortably with a trestle style base (I want the table legs recessed so that they aren’t in the way).

option 2 - built in u shaped bench around 3 sides and chairs on one side. if I go with this design, what length table should I get? the benches will be about 25” deep (already framed) to allow for back cushions. I was thinking 3” overlap for the table so a length of 136”-25”-25”+6”= 92” table. I haven’t been able to find a pedestal or trestle table this size so would probably need to get custom made.

Questions -

which design would be more comfortable and practical in everyday use? Or would there be no difference?

do you think one design will be more expensive? I’m worried the u shaped bench with cushions and custom table will cost more (and be more difficult to execute)

is the table size I am considering in option 1 ok? If so, I might just go that direction because I need a table ASAP. I am just worried about getting the size right and can’t easily return a dining table.

thx!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths