SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nina3130

Flooring help - Need help deciding what type of floor for 1st floor.

nina3130
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, We're finally starting to work on our house after being in it for a year. We would like to start with change the flooring first. My first floor which consists of a kitchen/dining, half-bath, living room and entry. I know for sure that I want wood in the stairs and the second floor. For the first floor I would like cohesive flooring since the space is not too big. Currently we have travertine tiles in the entry, half-bath & kitchen/dining and carpet in the living room and formal dining room (which we don't plan to use as second dining room because we have decent space in our kitchen dining space.) I've been thinking to put all large format (24x24) tiles but can't make up my mind. We have active dogs who go in/out to the backyard all day and have to 2 access doors to the backyard (living room and kitchen) so tile seems like a good choice as far as cleaning. We recently went to India and bali and saw that the houses had tile/stone flooring throughout and liked a lot in those spaces as it's the standard however I keep questioning wether it's a good choice because it's not so standard here in bay area and will it end up looking like a patio. The second dilemma is the type/color of tiles. We have white walls (which we like) and grey sofa already and I have been looking at grey tiles, I don't want it to end up looking/feeling too cold. Also with the all the grey will I have to change my countertop which is warm. We plan to paint our kitchen cabinets as well but the color of the floor will be the deciding factor in choosing the color for the cabinets.

So far I've looked into 2 tiles. Both are porcelain & 24x24

1. Ivy hill tiles - Essential cement silver gray. **Looks decent. Pretty basic.
  2. Emser tiles - Terazio Bianco. ** Looks high end but glossy finish, questing slipping hazard.

** Formal dining room that we don't plan to use as a dinning area. We Plan to have a temple/shrine in the right corner and maybe a low chair in the left corner and move to lighting to the left corner above the chair.

Comments (6)