SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abc1971

Garden Question: Fertilizing Liquid Ambar Slender Silhouette Trees

abc1971
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, all.

I was hoping to get input on beginning a fertilizing regimen for barely one year old trees I planted last August. I've been trying to do my own research and found that you should wait a year before you begin fertilizing. Come next month (April), it will be eight months so it technically hasn't been a full year but from what I read the best times to start fertilizing trees is in April.

I'm no expert but it seems that the best way to determine what your plants need is to have a soil analysis done in order to figure out what your actual soil lacks and then amend it with whatever it needs. But is that truly necessary?

I read on one forum that some people use Jacks 20-20-20 liquid fertilizer and then alternate with a fish emulsion such as Alaska's Fish Fertilizer every ten days and claim to have phenomenal results but this was for fig trees. From what I read, the first number in a fertilizer's profile is Nitrogen and that is what you want to focus on when fertilizing trees. The middle number phosphorus is for flowering/fruiting (which I can see applies to fig trees) And the last number represents potassium/potash. But even though soils typically don't lack this element I read that it is not an actual usable form of potassium for plants and trees.

I will say that I have used the above formula on everything in the past from rose bushes, to shrubs and one Mediterranean palm tree and a nearly 6ft tall rhododendron I rescued from various demolition sites near our home and had really great results. But I've never planted a deciduous tree before and am not sure how to fertilize it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on fertilizing trees and if possible, this specific type of tree. I'm providing some photos I found online of these trees. They appear excellent to grow in urban settings where lateral space is very limited. I'm so excited to watch them grow and nurture them. They grow only 3 to 5ft wide but can get as tall as 50ft tall. And they're supposed to grow 3 to 4ft tall each year while they're young. The full name for this tree is:

Liquidambar styraciflua “Slender Silhouette”

Comments (12)