SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maackia

Columnar tree recommendation

maackia
8 years ago

It was brought to my attention that something vertical with nice fall color would look good behind these three Juniperus 'Wichita Blue'. I of course agreed and the search begins.

I (oops, I mean we) would like to replace the three Norway Spruce (sorry Tom) with three columnar deciduous trees that have nice fall color and no serious foliar issues. If they produce fruit the critters love, well, that would be so much for the better.

Fall color could be either a warm gold or something psychedelic like the crimson - orange - yellow Sugar Maples I've been seeing this fall. This is not good soil (very sandy; low fertility), but it does stay reasonably cool due to larger trees surrounding this area. I was thinking maybe Quercus 'Crimson Spire', but not sure how nice the fall color really is. Anyone know?

As you may have guessed by now, this strip behind the junipers doesn't get a whole lot of attention. I should just mulch the whole thing, but that's one of those projects that somehow always gets moved to the back burner. :(

Comments (33)

• edlincoln
    8 years ago

Sassafras albidum has stunning red fall color, berries the birds like, and is sort of columnar. Downside is it suckers and is hard to establish.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    8 years ago

Maackia, where are you again? Maybe I read too fast.

How skinny are you looking for? Metasequoia Ogon is a bright yellow exclamation point in full sun. Mine and everyone I have seen are narrower than the species.

• Related Discussions

Columnar apples and other fruit trees

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I've been looking for new varieties of columnar apples and keep seeing the same trees: Golden Sentinel, Northpole, Scarlet Sentinel, and the Stark Bros equivalents. Anyone know of any really new developments in columnar apples and other fruit? Also, for those that have grown the above mentioned varieties, which would you recommend in terms of overall appearance. At my local nursery I noticed that Northpole and Scarlet Sentinel's leaves were more stunted and crowded than Golden Sentinel. Thought that was interesting. I bought Golden Sentinel because I thought the leaves and overall shape were more pleasing. Would love to hear opinions from other people.
    ...See More

Columnar Apple Trees

Q

Comments (3)
    Use myclobutanil (spectracide Immunox) for Cedar apple rust prevention. BIG thing is prevention not control. You need to apply before you get the disease. This will also prevent apple scab too if that is part of the problem. Captan 50 WP is also a good fungicide to prevent apple scab. Available online. Growing columnar,standard, dwarf or espalier apples should not make a difference as far as disease control. Granted, some apple varieties are more prone to scab than others but the prevention (use a fungicide) will apply to all. Without pictures unable to tell what exact problems your apples are having. Unsprayed apples in my area get scab, cedar-apple rust (if junipers nearby), fireblight, sooty blotch ect. Very hard to get good fruit without spraying to prevent fungal issues. Or you could bag the fruits (paper, plastic, cloth bags) to grow them organically.
    ...See More

columnar oak trees, arborvitae

Q

Comments (7)
    Searching the Sheridan Plant Finder I linked to above for "Evergreens" and "Columnar" I got this result showing 12 kinds. http://www.sheridannurseries.com/plant_product_refine_search#P;DA6;
    ...See More

Columnar European Hornbeam or Columnar Oak or something else?

Q

Comments (10)
    Even one of those sweetgums (post immediately preceding this one) would not fit in the space discussed and still allow room to walk by. Otherwise there's a pyramidal European hornbeam in the county east of mine that could be 40' across, nearby the USDA station had a 'Frans Fontaine' hornbeam that was about 20' wide and so on. ("Had" because they cut it down recently, maybe because it was thought to have overwhelmed the planting site because it didn't stay skinny). Instead of columnar with branches coming low look for dwarf on a long single stem - from the perspective of your second picture all you need is a comparatively small bushy top at the level of the window. Dwarf hornbeam, dwarf crabapple, naturally small growing maple species - whatever you kind find. In either case (tall and narrow or lollipop/mushroom shaped) it's going to grow sideways over the neighbor's lot - so you need to be prepared for that. As in discussing it with them beforehand, so that you don't have an unpleasant surprise later - just as you are finally getting the coverage out of it you want (tree plantings take years to size up). A surprise as in one day you look at it and all of their side has been cut back to the fence - or even a couple feet back into your lot. (At my previous house a neighbor reached over a fence, cut a screening planting I had put in - that I thought they would appreciate being between them on their patio and my back windows - off at fence height apparently as far as they could reach into my lot. When I had occasion to discuss this unauthorized action with them later the complaint was the living screen was dropping dead leaves on their bark mulch).
    ...See More
  • maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

edlincoln ~ Sassafras is definitely worth investigating further. It's a tree I wouldn't have thought of, but it does seem to fit the bill. Most sites have it listed as z4, which is descriptive of my location in west central WI. Any z4ers growing this?

tornado ~ I've got a small M. 'Ogon' growing here, but I'm not completely sold on its hardiness. I initially planted it on a hot, dry site and it languished for a few years before moving it this spring. My biggest concern would be the dry conditions they would have to endure on this site, but I really like this tree and agree it would look spectacular. The one I have experienced some winter dieback, but nothing major. It survived the winter of '13-'14, which is impressive enough. BTW, last summer I was at the Coastal Maine Botanical Garden and saw a group of five Ogon that were about 30'-40' -- Beautiful!

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Something with horizontal branching would be better than continuing with the up-swept habit and the tense visual effect it creates.

• PRO
    Online Seminars
    8 years ago

Here is a link to the description and a photo of Crimson Spire Oak, one of my most favorites.

http://gibneyce.com/archive-60.html#Seminar

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did think about the "tense visual effect" of planting columnar trees directly behind the Junipers, but not quite in those terms. In any case, I understand what you're saying. However, I'm betting that the junipers will not be around for long. They suffered tip blight this spring and it sounds like others have also experienced this. I really don't want to get into a treatment program, which is why there's a pretty good chance they'll be removed in the not too distant future. I'm hoping for the best, but planning for the worst. They were planted mainly as a screen, and I'd like find something else that would serve this function should they have to be removed.

Schmidt Nursery was one of the sites I looked at when researching 'Crimson Spire'. There's much to like about this tree. Online, is fall color consistently good from year to year?

• Embothrium
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Tends to have dull color in my area. Yesterday I saw some that had already gone brown while otherwise still partly red. There have been many plantings of this tree here in recent years, with some local groupings dating back to before 2005 - I have yet to see it doing anything that knocked me out. And as is so often the case, there has been a lot of placement in locations where only a dwarf tree or even a shrub is going to fit over the long term, as though designers/planners have been given the impression this selection is quite small-growing. As both parents in the cross produce landmark specimens well over 60 ft. tall, this seems doubtful.

• sam_md
    8 years ago

I'm betting that the junipers won't be around for long. You took the words right out of my mouth. Assuming that OP is in Eastern US, J. scopulorum is not long lived for us. They get brown patches and look ratty in time and are removed. That hasn't stopped the big boxes from selling them. All of the glowing online testimonials about this juniper are from central and western US.

• Embothrium
    8 years ago

Often become discolored and ratty here also.

• pennlake
    8 years ago

Apollo Sugar Maple

Amelanchier Standing Ovation

Betula Parkland Pillar

Carpinus Firespire

• waynedanielson
    8 years ago

So what's the goal? Fall color? Height? If height is more important, how tall? How wide?

My best for fall color are small trees or large shrubs. Cotinus obovatus, so bright the word luminescent is more appropriate. Sunglasses may be required.

If width is the limiting factor, hard to beat Populus tremuloides 'Erecta'. Also hard to deal with the suckering. Yellow colors similar to other Populus members. If you can't grow others, this is worthy of consideration...if you can grow just about anything else, with the possible exception of Amelanchier, do so.

Slender Silhouette Sweetgum. My personal experience is limited, and while the form is fine, hard to find much in fall color so far.

There's a range of sugar maple cultivars. We can stake out defensive positions about how different they are...or acknowledge that they are surprisingly similar once the bs is stripped away.

There's a couple of oaks. My experience with them says that fall color is variable depending more than anything else on weather that year and how early frost comes. If oaks color reliably for you, then it's likely to as well.

Carpinus. Fagus. It's surprising, really, the number of fastigate forms that exist, once you start looking. Some are more narrow than others, some are just barely less spreading than the species. And then there's omnipresent question...just because someone can list it online...can you find it?

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I appreciate the possibilities -- all of them. Sweetgum is simply not hardy up here. I'd be more than willing to give it a go, but can't say I've seen one within, oh, 400 miles. Similar story with the European Hornbeam. They're a bit hardier than Sweetgum...just not z4 hardy. I know of a nursery in La Crosse, which is about 100 miles to the south of me, that sold several of them, none of which survived consecutive winters.

I suppose my goal would be to improve upon the screen I've started, but with more seasonal interest. Height is not an issue, but there's only about 15' from woodland edge to the junipers. Other trees in this area include Katsura, Cotinus, Carpinus (native), Ginkgo, and a Japanese x Korean maple. While fall color is important, and I'd like to make this a cornucopia of color, I'd also like to provide some other seasonal interest, which is why I am a bit smitten with the prospect of Sassafras. I see that Possibility Place outside of Chicago sells it. That's a long ways to go, but what a great reason to for a road trip!

I digress, but I do have a very frail Liriodendron in the general vicinity of the trees listed above that I purchased at Mt Vernon (think president) in 2013. Unfortunately, I'm starting to think this little tree knows something just isn't right, and I can't help but get the feeling it's ready to bail on me.

I think Amelanchier is worth looking at and I'm curious, Wayne, why did you write this: "...if you can grow just about anything else, with the possible exception of Amelanchier, do so." BTW, there was a Wayne Danielson who went to the same small HS I attended in WI.

Now, for Sugar Maples...

• edlincoln
    8 years ago

Crataegus phaenopyrum 'Fastigiata'? Hawthorn have berries that provide Fall interest

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I didn't know there was a fastigiate form of C. phaenopyrum. It seems like hybridizers keep on filling every niche possible. I can't recall the site I read this, but someone has released a cultivar of our native Ostrya. It's about time!

In the "for what it's worth" category, I planted Washington Hawthorn at my old place. Actually, it was one of the first trees I planted there. I should call my ex and see if I couldn't get some pictures. They've gotta be pushing 20 years now.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    8 years ago

There is a columnar form of Parrotia persica which should have great fall color.

• waynedanielson
    8 years ago

No chance the person who attended high school with you in Wisconsin was me. While I did attend a small high school in the Midwest, it was in MN, not WI.

Everyone has their favorites, and the plants that are not their favorites. Amelanchier is one of those for me. To each their own, and may your experience be better than mine. If you have limited summer humidity, it may well be worth considering. If all you do is read that it's native and great...yeah...know where you are, know your weather and the disease triangle.

So space is limited in lateral dimensions more so than height is desired.

For fall color, viburnums always hit. Specifically, Nannyberry, hitting more of the purple range (yeah, I know, that's not a good color to have in WI, is it?). How about quaking aspen and Norway maple? Yellow and green...planted in the shape of a cheese wedge...

All kidding aside, one of the more interesting combinations of fall color I ran across was sumac and green ash. For the life of me, to this day, I still can't tell you if it was an accidental pairing of plants that happened to grow where they did or if they were planted specifically.

Acer psuedosieboldianum, Korean maple, purplebloom maple. Not all that common, hardiness isn't an issue, availability might be. For that matter, there's a range of Asian maples that shine when fall comes around. You've listed that you are at least aware of these.

If smaller plants find room, Dakota goldcharm spirea. more into the reds and maroons when fall comes along. Emerald Carousel barberry (Korean x Japanese cross), fall color to rival any maple. If you have the sun, there's a Lime Glow Juniper (J. horizontalis, so it NEEDS full sun). During the summer, it's so bright I'd hesitate to recommend it...once fall comes and the reddish hues overlay the bright yellow...I've found room for this everyplace I've lived for that reason alone. If frosts come late, the smaller lilacs, Miss Kim and dwarf Korean. Purple turns to yellow, and given time, Miss Kim is not exactly small and dainty.

Again, if there is only one plant to choose for fall color, it simply must be Cotinus obovatus. No comparison.

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Hi Bob,

Sternberg's 'Birthday Candle' oak is my personal favorite of his selections for sale with great fall color.

I know G2 Gardens sells it. Not sure if Sooner is still selling it. G2 sells 1-2 year whips - so not a lot to look at.

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    8 years ago

Pondcypress is very narrow & upright, below:

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Hi, Beng... Bob's in zone 4a I believe.

Dax

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Here's a good discussion of Parrotia 'Vanessa'. Laceyvail, it looks like you've been growing this one for several years. Would you plant it again? One common theme in this thread (I miss Waas) is the inconsistency of fall color. You're a couple of zones warmer, but soil conditions are similar to what I've got here. Like Sassafras, I just don't see this tree in the upper upper-Midwest, but that doesn't mean it can't survive. I also don't see Stewartia, but mine has proven itself to be z4 hardy.

Wayne, I've got Cotinus obovatus 'Cotton Candy', which I believe was found growing in western Minnesota. Supposedly has survived -51F, which should make it safe for me. ;) I bought it in a 1-gal container and then moved it twice in two years. The deer hammered it when first planted, but over the past couple of years it has averaged 3' of growth/year or more. It hasn't started to change color, but I'll post a picture when it does.

Dax, 'Chimney Fire' and 'Birthday Candle' are on my radar. I take it G2 Gardens is part of Forrest Keeling? Do you have both growing at your place? When I was last at Guy's arb I remember seeing a grouping of columnar Oaks, but can't recall which ones they were. In any case, they looked great and made an impression.

Beng, the native Taxodiums struggle up here. You don't have to get too far south (middle of Iowa) and they start to show up. Unfortunately, many have tried, but few if any succeed in these parts. I'm guessing Pond is even less hardy than Bald, but that is purely speculative. It's a beautiful tree, but I'd be leery of investing much time, effort, and money on them. You're fortunate to grow it.

• pennlake
    8 years ago

I had access to a free, nice sized Parrotia Persian Spire so I planted it in the yard. We'll see what happens. Still totally green. I don't think I've ever seen Parrotia at garden centers up here.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    8 years ago

Maackia, I do have a Parrotia, but it's the straight species, thus a seedling, not 'Vanessa'. The fall color is usually not really great, at least nothing like what I was led to believe. However, I've heard that 'Vanessa' is more dependable.

Even without the fall color, Parrotia is a handsome tree with beautiful bark.

• PRO
    Select Landscapes of Iowa
    8 years ago

Maackia,

I would opt for a few different trees. Dakota Pinnacle Birch would be the top of my list. Will grow rapidly and the fall color is an incredibly warm golden yellow plus you get white bark and great foliage. We have a row of five at an assisted living facility nearby that are just beginning to turn so I will try and get a pic of them this week or next when they are at their peak. It is an all-around great tree.

Your area must be similar to mine as many of the trees mentioned have the same hardiness issue here- we are a solid zone 4 in colder winters. Apollo Maple would be a good choice for something with great fall color. If you get as cold as we do Sassafras will die out in the colder winters.

Looking at your area I could also see going for something that has contrasting foliage like Crimson Sunset Maple. The darker foliage would be striking as the backdrop for the junipers. If the area has enough sun a grouping of Royal Raindrops crabapple would also look great for contrasting foliage + flowers + fruit.

If the area has some shade a trio of Golden Shadows or Gold Bouillon Pagoda Dogwood would also be great in time. Not necessarily columnar but something bright all season with good foliage color, fall color, fruit, and winter form. Similar would be some of the Blackhaw Viburnum cultivars or straight species- there is a newer one out from Classic Viburnums that I think you could get mail-order called Prairie Classic which is a hybrid of Blackhaw and Rusty Blackhaw. Have not grown it myself but looks like a great selection.

If you end up going with the columnar oaks I would choose one that has good fall color (which is not always dependable) and colorful new growth as you often get a couple shots of new growth per season. Beacon Swamp White Oak has this effect and I think you can also get it from Firecracker Oak or Chimney Fire Oak from Starhill Forest Arb.

A last choice would be China Snow Pekin Lilac which is a favorite of mine for foliage color, decent yellow fall color, white flowers, and good bark. It is an upright selection in youth but will eventually widen out. For us it has proven quite adaptable and always looks good. Will also second the idea of Crataegus phaenopyrum 'Fastigiata' which my mother has had a group of for 15 + years and has trimmed/hacked them several times from which they always respond well. Good flowers, fall color, fruit, and always loaded with birds in the winter because of their twigginess!

Good luck,

Bruce

• gardener365
    8 years ago

Bi Bob,

I have (4) fastigiate oaks from Guy's that are his selections (he has others from commerce.)

He has one that's being grafted that will be a part of Forrest Keeling and their G2 gardens retail outlet in the future... I don't know when though. It's called 'Firecracker'. Its fall color is nothing to dream about (dull yellow) but it flushes bright bright purple each time new leaves are made - one such flush is on the 4th of July - hence 'Firecracker'.

Dax

• bengz6westmd
    8 years ago

maackia, yes, I should have read more. Pondcypress, by my experience, is indeed less cold tolerant than baldcypress, as all 3 of mine experienced some winter twig dieback the first couple yrs -- tho interestingly no longer. Baldcypress here has never had any twig dieback.

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you! This helps immensely and I'll hopefully I'll make a better choice this time around than the 'Wichita Blue'. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't pull them sooner than later. They don't look too bad right now, but what are the odds they'll outgrow the tip blight already experienced? I'm guessing not very good.

Pennlake, I take it you're from Minneapolis? I'd be very interested to know how your Parrotia does over the next few years. What kind of color are you seeing this fall?

Along with one of the oaks mentioned earlier, Dakota Pinnacle birch might be the safest bet. The folks at NDSU are producing some nice trees. It's on the list. Cornus alternifolia is a terrific native that I admire when hiking in the area, but the deer covet it as much as I do...and they're more committed.

Wow, Dax, getting it to flush on the 4th each year is no simple feat. I knew Guy was good, but not that good. ;) My daughter lives in Tulsa, and I may try to stop by the G2 retail operation on my way back from my annual trek to Okie Land. I'd like to get some of these if possible.

Beng, thank you for sharing a pic of your Pond Cypress. You've made me a fan, but I'll have to admire it from a distance.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

Taking out Norway spruce.......why you! OK just messing with you. And while the future longevity of those junipers may indeed be questionable, I tend to favor Embothrium's point that a more horizontally-oriented plant would do more good here in design terms. As such-and I know this is probably a moot point-I would investigate our native pagoda dogwood or perhaps one of the hawthorns with the very horizontal branch structure.

+oM

• pennlake
    8 years ago

Bloomington (think Mall of America) in the alleged Zone 5 according to some hardiness maps.

While not strictly columnar, it does have Acer Autumn Spire in its parentage. Firefall (rubrum x saccharinum) is ab fab right now.

maackia thanked pennlake
  • sam_md
    8 years ago

Grown in California, they looked so nice sitting in the big box store. This is a pretty common site here in Maryland. The blue junipers become diseased, ratty and will soon be replaced, prolly with new blue junipers from the same big box.

• maackia
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I get it. Still, I'm not totally convinced tip blight doesn't quickly worsen as you get into the truly horrid humidity levels. I could live with some minor tip blight, but that sad juniper Sam put up would be tough to look at on a daily basis. Just saying...

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    8 years ago

I'll start by qualifying my response that I can't recommend columnar trees specifically since I don't grow any, but will add what I notice about color. Here oak autumn foliage color seems to vary year to year more than most trees, even with named varieties, though this fall they were almost as bright as some of the maples. To my mind, they do have the advantage of being one of the later turning trees and so extend the color season by a couple of weeks. Other later-turning trees with more consistent color include American beech (which turn from the outside of the tree inward, a lovely effect that often gives it chestnut, gold, and chartreuse simultaneously), birches, and aspen, both of which turn gold. I particularly like yellow birch (Betula alleghaniensis) and river birch (Betula nigra) both of which have lovely form, interesting bark, and seem much loved by the smaller birds.

Red maples and their crosses (the crosses such as A. freemanii turn later than straight red maples IME) and sugar maples turn bright colors consistently, but there is a fair variety to the actual color based on the tree's genetics and its location in sun vs. shade. More red to orange occurs in more sun IME. I also find that the red maple crosses and the sugar maples tend to hold their leaves longer than the straight red maples here.

I like pagoda dogwoods (Cornus alternifolia) a lot - they grow wild here in everything from full sun to full shade, and turn nice, though not stunning, colors regardless. They are the only tree dogwood that will be consistently hardy for you, though the tree's provenance may be important to how well it does. I have three Golden Shadows, the trade name for 'W. Stackman', that are about 5 years old, and they haven't grown much, so I am not sure if they are perhaps a bit less cold tolerant than the species or if the half shade that they are in has too little light for their liking this far north. I find the straight species to be a rapid grower, over my head in 4 years from seed. The have a short season of lacy spring flowers, followed by berries that slowly turn from green to pinkish to more purple to end a purple-black with bright red stems. The birds keep the tree hopping with activity when the berries are ripe, and then after the fall color, the winter branch structure is graceful layers.

If you end up needing to replace the junipers, there are some varieties of blue spruce shorter than full tree height that may do well for you there if you want that bluish color. Even though western, blue spruce seem to do better with our humidity than J. scopulorum. Or put it a row of Fothergilla which has great spring flowers, stunning fall color, and is dense enough May-October to make an excellent screen if you use one of the taller ones such as F. major. Its slight suckering tendencies and dense branching will even help with winter screening.

To save yourself having to add your location to posts or us having to ask and then hunt for the info, you might want to put your location and zone in your profile so that it shows up next to your name whenever you post. Here's how:

Go to Your Houzz in upper right of every page, click Edit Profile, and on the left side click advanced settings. Well down the advanced settings page is a blank labeled Climate Zone for Garden Forums along with a link to find your zone.

If you add info on your state or the nearest large city you will get even better information since zone only relates to average coldest winter temperatures.

Then return to the top of the page and click Done Editing.

• wisconsitom
    8 years ago

You could just tell everyone that it's variegated!

+oM