SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leslie_wood59

Help with paint colors please

Leslie Wood
4 years ago

I can't decide between these three. This is for an east facing guest room, the room is very small with one window.Not much natural light in there ever. I have it painted BM Goldtone presently and I'm tired of warm colors and want a blue green gray color..something restful and serene. I have this beautiful quilt that I'd like the paint color to compliment. I've chosen Sherwin Williams Rainwashed top, Ben Moores Silver Marlin middle and Ben Moores Wythe Blue bottom. Pictures for reference..or if you can suggest a color that would be appreciated too! Thanks !

Comments (42)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

Ben Moore's Silver Marlin is similar to Pratt & Lambert's Nickel 25-25.

I think Nickel would be a better option because it's softer and I think more grayed (going off memory, I didn't check). It will look fabulous with the floor and really make the saturated colors in the bedding shine.

Sherwin-Williams owns Pratt & Lambert so they can mix up an accurate Color to Go Jug so you can test it. Finding a paint chip might not be that easy because only independent paint stores carry Pratt & Lambert.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll definitely look at Nickle. I actually like the Silver Marlin best but still think it looks too blue. The light is so non existent in that room. I'm really struggling with a color that the light doesn't turn too blue. I live in a small town and only have BM but I'm sure they can mix other brands. I wonder if there is a comparable color to Nickle in BM? Thanks again!!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    4 years ago

That would be Silver Marlin. :)

Take a look at 1577 Arctic Gray and 1563 Quiet Moments.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like Quite Moments and actually had that color in my old house. I'll take a look at Arctic Gray as well. If I could get a gray with just a hint of blue/green I would be so happy. I was so shocked that all those colors looked so baby boy room blue in that room. my south west facing master bedroom has BM Tranquility and it's really nice in there. I may check to see if I have any left. My husband was horrified when he saw those colors..lol. He never notices paint colors but those got his attention! Thanks for your help.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Leslie-I suggest trying SW Sea Salt. Great color. Not to be confused with BM Sea Salt. But they can match pretty well. Then a soft white on ceiling such as BM Opulence.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Then a new ceiling light and a fun art.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Flo..wow Sea salt looks amazing! That is exactly the color I'm looking for..I love the light fixture too! I'm getting a sample tomorrow and hoping it doesn't turn baby blue. Thanks so much!!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Pretty quilt. I think you can go two different ways here. A lighter, soft blue gray on the walls would be serene and let the quilt be the star. Or... since the room is dark anyway a blue with a bit of red in it( slightly periwinkle) looks beautiful with this quilt! These are richer colors if you dare!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Dark

• sloyder
    4 years ago

How about BM Gray Sky

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Houzz must be having problems. I will try again. Here is light fixture. Also, just make sure the paint person at BM understands you want sample of SW Sea Salt not BM Sea Salt. They are quite different.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Lynartist thank you! Those are gorgeous options. I really like vapor trails alot. I've been researching east facing room light and how it affects cool colors. That explains why every blue undertone is so intense. I'm thinking now I need a gray with a green or brown undertone to tone down the blue a little. The office next to the guest bedroom is BM Camouflage, a green gray color so I may need to make sure my choice doesn't clash with that. Jeez my head is spinning. lol
    I'm clearly not gifted with chosing colors!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Camouflage is a great color, have used it several time in the past. I consider it a fairly neutral color though so wouldn’t worry to much about trying match it. Because this quilt is so bold you could go darker on the walls( guest room?) art can bring balance if your worried about too much dark.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I should have mentioned the furniture, it's antique mahogany from the 1940s. So I need to make sure the paint color works with it. I love the idea of dark and bold but would that make this tiny room look smaller...Here is a pic of the furniture. Love your ideas!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Lovely furnishings. I think you were on the right track initially, the top two colors were almost there. They were just a bit to sweet! They needed to be a bit deeper and a tad grayer!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

I think mahogany looks better next to rich color. Good lighting will be important of course!

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I like that..a bit too sweet! lol I can see how the darker gray works with the quilt beautifully. The furniture came from my husband's grandmother and the the quilt was made by her mother in 1936. Normally I wouldn't decorate a room around a quilt but its special to us. ugh that gold paint is hideous..what was I thinking??

• lynartist
    4 years ago

I would probably paint the ceiling white though. It can be a creamy white. I like the the period furnishings here. They are very handsome and creates a cozy room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Leslie, The colors look bluer on your samples than they will when you paint the room.

You have gold walls and are painting your samples directly on the gold walls.

The two blue/green/gray boxes below are the same color. One surrounded by gold the other surrounded by white.

Since you are going to be painting the walls anyway, paint one wall with primer, then look at the colors.

I really like using sample boards better than painting directly on the walls. I use 140 lb watercolor paper - thick enough to not warp, has a texture that mimics wall texture and far less expensive than poster board.

https://www.amazon.com/Canson-Watercolor-Textured-Charcoal-100510941/dp/B0049UXGD0/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=watercolor%2Bpaper&qid=1585223383&sr=8-4&th=1

• njmomma
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Not a Pro.

Love that your grandmothers furniture and quilt is the inspiration for this room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

Lori - We are on the exact same page - you recommended the exact same colors I was thinking about recommending as I read through the post!

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

One additional thought. Do you know what color light bulb you have in your fixture?

After much research I landed on the Cree brand 5000 k light bulbs for my home.

I am a fan of the Cree Brand because they have a high color rendering index and don't flicker when dimmed. My research was a couple of years ago, and LED technology is still young, but Cree still seems to get very good ratings and reviews.

They have daylight (5000 k), bright white (3000 k) and soft white (2700 k) options.

You may want to test a few different lights before picking your colors.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Here is Lori’s pic , Arctic Gray. Also very nice. I wouldn’t be worried about it looking too blue. Blue is a beautiful bedroom color😌 A couple lighting options.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

Don’t take these mock ups too seriously btw! These colors could look much different in your space. It’s a starting point and meant to give you ideas.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I went to the paint store and got Arctic Blue, Sea Salt, Vapor Trail and Revere pewter. All of the cooler grays read way too blue either icy or baby blue. Revere pewter works! ding ding ding! It's a warm gray but with my lighting or lack of, it's a straight gray..maybe with a hint of green or brown at times. I painted the samples on poster board this time. The lighting really is everything when choosing a Gray. I'm in the Rocky Mountains in NW Colorado and the Eastern light is extremely blue here.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes and I'm definitely changing the light bulbs! Thanks to everyone for all of your help

• lynartist
    4 years ago

😂I thought you wanted a Blue/ gray!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

That is a surprise. Dark color for this room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

It has LRV of around 56 meaning mid range light reflective or a darker feeling in an East room. I didn’t think that was your desired outcome? Humm.

• lynartist
    4 years ago

I think it’s fine if what you wanted was a gray. It’s just not what you stated you wanted initially. I would think about getting rid of the drapes and doing a cornice board. It’s a tight spot there and there’s too many things going on in one small space! The cornice will add height to the window also.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did want blue green gray but couldn't get it to work. I got baby blue, powder blue, icey blue and even neon blue. That room takes gray blue and intensifies the blue into a not very attractive color. So after spending way to much on samples trying to achieve a soothing blue gray green, I took the sales ladies advice who had an east facing room in her home. She advised Revere Pewter at 25% lighter to achieve a nice mid tone gray. It works while letting the quilt shine. The warm undertone works to counteract with the cool light somehow. I'm happy its over. Thanks guys!

• lynartist
    4 years ago

I’m sure it will look lovely!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

Adding white eases my mind and I hope it works out. Sounds good.

• dsimber
    4 years ago

Sounds like a good solution! Eager to see.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Just finished painting yesterday and got the furniture put back today. I love it!..it doesn't photograph well and it's hard to capture the true color. Sometimes its green gray and sometimes blue gray. It's very spa like. I've ordered new curtains and a bed side lamp. Need some art and something over the bed. I have an antique mirror than may work for over the bed. Will post more pics when everything is done..

• dsimber
    4 years ago

Congrats! Since we cannot rely on color in photos, I will say that I love it that you love it! You may find that you get better shots after you put up window treatment because that will help control the light.

• njmomma
    4 years ago

Not a Pro.

The room looks great so far.

I think adding art to the room is a great idea.

You already have a mirror in the room, so adding one over the bed may not work.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago

OK, looks good. I wouldn't put another mirror in the room, especially over the bed. Here is where you can add some personality with art of some kind. Pick up colors in the quilt.

"L'Allee Des Alyscamps" Framed Canvas Giclee by Paul Gauguin, 42"x35" · More Info

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I'm so happy it's done as and..Lordy I'm exhausted! I love that pic Flo..I have a pic on my livingroom wall that I can repurpose if it will work.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I live in western Colorado and like farmhousey western decor.

• Leslie Wood
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have this beauty too. I'm from South Carolina and the is a beautiful Charleston lighthouse.