On-line shopping during this storm....

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

This COVID-19 storm could be 8-16 weeks. Maybe more. We did most of our shopping a couple weeks ago and filled our freezer/fridge.

Some on-line shopping gems are still operating from what I can tell.

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Not something we normally do but did order from iGourmet.

Packaged well, offering an endless variety of long shelf-life goodies. They have all my favorite cheeses, crackers, charcuterie...

Just a sampling of my order.

The petits toast is 11$ for six....2.99 for one so they do have good prices.

1 Like Save    

FreshDirect has been around for 15 years at least. I've never used the service. Nearly impossible to secure a delivery date/time. We stocked up so long ago I thought it might be good for this next phase of fridge filling. Perishables. Eggs, etc.

Managed a date this Friday. I can add to it up until Thursday night. Supposedly all items in my cart are somewhat guaranteed. Shocking how many things are out of stock.

I did look at ThriveMarket for organics. Bob'sRedMill and KingArthur should be well stocked for direct ordering. We are all good in those departments.

HareToday coming tomorrow for the pups diet.

(we are staying away from public groceries)

Save    

Just checked ThriveMarket. Seems they are backed up 2 weeks. Low stock. Free shipping over 59$. Could not find anything we need.

We are not stocking anything we would not normally eat.

Save    
plllog

Penzey's is having a sale...

Save    
Compumom11

I was so aggravated at Amazon Fresh/Whole Foods yesterday. I made a big order for our house and our elderly neighbors. When I completed the list I went to choose delivery and it was unavailable for the three days listed! No other choices remained, so I steamed. This morning I checked again and my 30 items were now down to 23 and again, no delivery possible. I tried to make an order on Vons Market site (somewhere I rarely shop) but they deliver. They refused a new acct saying that my ID was already associated with a different email or password, but I could not do anything further. I gave up and did a big shopping at my local Gelsons Market, it was pricey, but I was able to get many of my items.

1 Like Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I order from iGourmet from time to time. Mostly cheeses but I did fall in love with some of their plain crackers, no flavors to interfere with the cheese. Misfits box due Thursday, good thing as we are out of citrus!

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

I order from iGourmet from time to time. Mostly cheeses but I did fall in love with some of their plain crackers, no flavors to interfere with the cheese. Misfits box due Thursday, good thing as we are out of citrus!

I find I get sent too MUCH citrus from Misfits, but that's probably just my predilections. And I can't even share with the chickens (who should not be fed citrus). I did use an orange as an inspiration ingredient for a sauce for tuna I made a few days ago, and that worked excellently. (Won't be seeing tuna for a while again, however - not the good fresh stuff...) My box comes tomorrow. I picked what I wanted from each of their categories, but alas I could only pick ONE leafy green.

I've ordered cheeses and smoked salmon for my brother at Christmas a couple of years, but haven't tried that myself. I am glad to know it is good food - my brother tells me he likes it but hearing this independently is great to know.

At the beginning of March, I ordered a sample of foods from Dinner Thyme. I figured, if I was playing with Misfits, I could check out other home delivery ideas. I like them because I can order what I want when I want, and it comes frozen so you don't have to eat it immediately. Of the two main courses and the two appetizers I've tried so far, three were wonderful, the only failure was a fried artichoke heart appetizer. (I loved the blackened shrimp over cauliflower rice, the pork medallions with cherries, and the buffalo wings.)

1 Like Save    

I looked at Amazon/WF a couple months ago when our favorite market closed. Just a look-see. Again last night and realized they do not give you their stock until check-out...(what?!). Like compumom experienced. I do realize this situation was never expected. I don't need anything but we shall see how my FreshDirect order is on Friday. (they show 'unavailable' while browsing). We will be fine if they are out of some things....

I'm getting Misfits weekly now. Hopefully they can keep up with stock. Just lemons, limes and mango I picked for citrus. Mango has been nice in green salads. Being home now we will enjoy the extra produce.

1 Like Save    
Olychick

I looked at MisFits but they don't deliver to our area :-(

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Sleevendog, I promise I’m not trying to hijack your thread, but instead feel this is interrelated. I understand how important the internet – and other communication services are at this time – for those ordering supplies and food online; for those self-isolating and working from home where they are able; keeping in touch with family and friends, for physicians, clinics, and hospitals; for 911 and all emergencies.

Provider companies have been ordered to provide gas to all employees who need to make repairs or provide service to areas of critical communications, as well as ‘retail’ communications. In the event of lockdowns or curfews, providers will still be able to access areas as needed at all times.

This is off topic: They are not required to provide any safety measures to the employees (gloves, masks, disinfectants, etc.).

Save    

Is this related to your husbands work? Is more important communications suffering by our on-line presence? Or may this become an issue soon with children home studying on-line?

All topics are related to why we are all home now.

Those that need to stay clear of contact need curb-side, delivery, on-line ordering, etc.

Our system is stressed in many ways. Not thought about just a week or two ago. With Amazon, FedEx, postal, grocery workers needed to stock shelves and check-out employees...children now home, less employees available, many more testing positive now that more tests are available.

Grocery stores look like giant petri dishes to me. Not the best places to wander.

On-line ordering might become the new normal soon to get through this safely...less contact, pick-up only. No cash transactions. Limiting quantity to prevent the hoarding.

One company that supplies restaurants just opened up for home delivery. NYC, Boston, WashingtonDC. They have their own trucks. As does FreshDirect. Might be happening in many areas as restaurants are ordered closed or pick-up/delivery only. Limited menus. These warehouses have huge stock that needs to move.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Sleevendog, yes, I became aware of the notice that went out to communication providers because of DH’s work : ) Because your thread is about ordering food online, which is vital now to so many, and also because communications (cell, hardline, internet) are important in a vast array of areas now (some listed in my first paragraph) I thought perhaps some people might be concerned about ‘what if my internet stops working’, so I posted that bit of information. No, using the internet will not interfere – we all need it! And thank goodness we live in the age of this technology. The large providers (an example would be internet providers) have been told several things, one of which was they must provide gasoline for their employees involved in repairs. They usually do, and the work trucks as well – but they often hire independent crews as well. The additional information - and more important (I’m being repetitious, sorry) is that should there be a curfew, in any area, or a lockdown, in any area, any such restriction would not inhibit repairs in any way – those making the repairs would not be restricted by curfews or lockdowns. DH is coordinator over repairs in more than one county, among other things. They have many crews. I just didn’t want anyone to worry about internet availability. If it goes down, it’ll get repaired, no matter what… unless there was no one well enough to make the repairs.

The off-topic comment is because DH’s company, which services 44 states in the US, isn’t providing any form of safety for their employees. DH and I both are in the high-risk category, and he thus far, cannot work from home.

I agree about grocery stores! I went yesterday, early, and it was packed, but people were quiet and kept their distance, unlike any other time I'd been. I was glad to see the deli closed tight. That was my last trip. I will use curbside pick-up now. And later, when or if we wish to use an alternative, try one of the internet store options, which is why I was reading your thread and everyone's comments : ) I'd also followed your previous thread regarding the delivered produce.

Way, way off topic now, gosh your pickled mustard is so good on deviled eggs! Ok, back on topic... ETA: I meant pickled mustard seed.

I've never ordered from stores other than spices (Penzey's, the Spice House) and specialty foods from Amazon, and of course the occasional specialty gift foods. Prior, I had decided I was too strict in my meal planning for such things. Now... it's a whole new ball game!

Save    
plllog

I agree with the "petri dish" comments, though when I was at the major chain grocery a couple of days ago, people were being pretty good about not touching things like they used to. I did find myself forgetting the 6' occasionally, but no one was coughing, painting, etc., and four feet while not face to face was likely fine. OTOH, six feet is only an estimate and may not be sufficient. One tall, athletic looking young man was covered up and wore mask and gloves, and did have the manners to say "excuse me" before he charged ahead, but then pushed on through a crowded aisle (spaced apart, but a gantlet) with the same me first male entitlement that hi might have previously, and actually brushed shoulders with me. Unclear on the concept, much.

So, non-food coolary for delivery: I sent a birthday present, a gaming chair, from Amazon and it arrived in a couple of days even though it was supposed to take at least a week. OTOH, I ordered a gum stimulator rather than going to the drug store and it's on Prime (usually one day at most) but won't be here until Sunday. It might just be that the chair was in stock near the kid's home and that warehouse isn't stressed, and the gum stimulator might be coming from the East. Still, with so much increased demand--Amazon in my area is hiring thousands, and delivery being so essential to keeping the supply chain running, I just hope that in the next few months we won't fall victim to the whole "just in time" inventory model. Some weird shortages may actually develop. OTOH, I get the car factories halting auto production, but we also have ads from dealers offering online purchasing and home delivery of the vehicle.

One of the smaller cities here has the fire department delivering food to the elderly.

Save    
moosemac

I got a ButcherBox delivery yesterday. Last night I got notified that my Misfit Market delivery would be delayed by a day. I ordered diapers from Sam's for my grandson and got them today 4 days earlier than the orginal delivery date.

I think it is going to be an interesting 2-3 months.

I'm trying to take it all in stride but Tuesday I broke down in tears when we had to layoff our employees. It was very emotional.

Save    
Compumom11

If anyone is a Nespresso addict (I live with one) I can happily report that they are shipping with lightening speed. I made an order yesterday around noon and it was on my doorstep this morning at 7:30 am!

Save    
Compumom11

Be aware that the virus can live on cardboard for up to 24 hours so use good caution in touching any deliveries.

Save    
annie1992

plllog, when I stopped at our local Meijer for Mother's groceries, everyone was pretty good, they had wipes for the carts and hands and at checkout there were black "x"s taped on the floor to show people their 6 foot boundary.

And, as I noted on another thread, the local marijuana shop has curbside pick-up, LOL. Still don't need to go there, but I guess that's a good thing. One in a neighboring town has started delivery service for a fee!

Annie

1 Like Save    

2MD, good to know. I want information from those a bit more close to home/social interaction..we need the information for our (f'd-up) system to continue...we need home testing to keep this system going. Positive stays home....for what time is needed...negative goes back in the work force to help supply those in need.

Sadly this is not provided. Not even masks.

Be careful, stay safe, the. best we can with what we know.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Masks that aren't properly fitted like they have for hospital staff are mostly there to remind you and keep your hands off your face. A bandana is just about as good, even if you look like a train robber. :)

Save    
Compumom11

Los Angeles County and then the State of California issued a Stay At Home order until April 19th, at which time it may be extended. Non essential businesses must close, but there is a good list of what they feel are essential services.

FYI on television they are saying that cardboard boxes, such as Amazon may hold the virus for up to 24 hours. Therefore you should handle it with gloves and open it outside of your home. If you use food delivery, they suggest hot food which you microwave before eating. This is so frightening and overwhelming...

Save    
1 Like Save    
party_music50

Chewy is really backed up on shipping what they have, and they're still sold out of the cat food I need! :( I'm still waiting to hear anything on an order I placed Wed morning. Ordinarily I receive chewy shipments the day after I place the order.

Save    
foodonastump

Ellen, I’ve been either quarantining or washing (or both) anything that comes into my house, either from stores or delivered, for a couple weeks now. I think the risks are relatively low but why chance it.

John, I’m guessing that’s coming here, too. My wife works for a consumer products company and the orders are for essentials.

1 Like Save    

Amazon has been posting daily changes. (upper right corner of their home page). Asking to please refrain from purchasing non-essentials and expect delays. I've not been ordering but they mentioned a 'no-rush' option may appear at check-out.

Though they appear to be out of many essentials.

Groceries are opening an hour early for those over 60. Supposedly millennials were barging through the one hour delay and need police to hold them back. Now just letting a few in at a time and having a line outside 6-10 feet apart. And limiting purchases for essentials. (finally)

I ordered from Baldor. A wholesaler the delivers to restaurants. Came yesterday. Really nice guy. They are thrilled to get supplies to homes as they have so much stock now that so many restaurants have closed. 50 mile radius of NYC. (Bronx)

If anyone is running low without freezers, check with your wholesale sellers.

18-49 yr olds represent 53% of NY cases. Carelessness. This is not a joke.

Be safe. Grow a garden.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Missoni for Target Collection Debuts to a Shopping Frenzy
Get a look at the colorful collection that led eager shoppers to line up early and crash site
Full Story
Trees How to Help Your Trees Weather a Storm
Seeing trees safely through winter storms means choosing the right species, siting them carefully and paying attention during the tempests
Full Story
Life How to Prepare Your Home and Family for an Ice Storm
Ride out an ice storm by having a plan, stocking up and avoiding hazards
Full Story