SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cem225

Dining room table suggestions?

4 years ago

I was going for this:

But chairs wound up being much darker than I anticipated:

Any table suggestions? Go with black? Go light instead? Change plan altogether? Trying to create Cali-cool- boho-chic-minimalism in a NE colonial house...ha, ha! Can this be done?

Comments (50)

• 4 years ago

Ok, since you said colonial -- your black animals by the wall - are they metal? If your vibe includes hand-made wonders -- and so the chairs are in tune with craftsman's vibe, what about a deeper color for table [with chalk paint / milk paint for old-time appeal]?

cem225 thanked everdebz
  • 4 years ago

Idk if this would help, but here's something vaguely similar in photo -- designer says this: "we used contemporary silhouettes and a neutral color palette. We subtly incorporated the wife's love of all things equine and the husband's passion for sports into the interiors."

---------------- keep adding what you love. Let us see more of the area?

Pacific Heights Wurster · More Info

cem225 thanked everdebz
  • Related Discussions

Would anyone care to suggest a dining room table for us?

Q

Comments (11)
    Hey lindy...I talked to my best friend today about tables and she said (with disdain) that I am NOT allowed to look at pub tables for my DR...no matter how casual we are! Sigh. You know what? We found a dark, distressed table (regular height) at World Market that I really liked and I think we might just go with that for now. As for the sofas...still haven't decided anything but this Sunday's paper had a flyer from RTG with one of the sofas I'd been considering. This time it was pictured in a beige room and the rich gold tones just seemed to POP from the sofa! Seeing that made me think it might work...but I'd still like to find a plain, comfy sofa and just decorate with pillows. You know what? After we put the girls to bed tonight, I may sneak to the computer and try to scan & post the Rooms To Go sofa to show it in a different setting!
    ...See More

Dining Room Table - Suggestions?

Q

Comments (1)
    Are you going to take the glass top on & off each time you use the leaves? Glass tops can be quite heavy. A better option may would be to get a table pad that comes with leaf sections also. There are also several manufacturers that offer a protective top as an option.
    ...See More

What type of dining table with this chandelier?

Q

Comments (14)
    I can't get the photo to work, but I have been eyeing the below table. Nothing about my house is rustic. However, I like the idea of a rustic top. This table will get a good deal of use. I have young kids. And as crazy as it sounds, I want this to be the last table I buy for a loooooong time. I don't want a smooth top or something prone to scratches. This is our only table. (we will have an eat-at island.) thoughts? With very simple chairs? Ethan Allen "rustic" table They also have a non-rustic version ;) ethan allen table
    ...See More

open concept dining and living room...what rug?

Q

Comments (2)
    How would this rug go in the living room with the Persian carpet in the dining room? https://www.wayfair.com/Zipcode-Design-Harloe-Ivory-Area-Rug-ZPCD3653.html?piid=23562773
    ...See More
  • 4 years ago

I like the new chairs and the room but the table is farmhouse and I'd change that.

cem225 thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • PRO
    4 years ago

You need a larger pedestal table for sure to even come close to the inspo. Really not sure what you are trying to copy. You have a rectangle table and the one you like is round so start there.

cem225 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 4 years ago

A wider shot of the space would be helpful. What size(s) are you looking at?

cem225 thanked Kirsten E.
  • 4 years ago

Thank you all!!! Here’s some more info...
    Floor plan if:

1. Buy 60” round table
    2. Keep existing cabinet, wall “sculpture”, cocoo clock, and artwork
  • PRO
    4 years ago

Since there are no measurements, I cannot tell if that would work. Can you provide measurements and photos of the space. Thanks so much.

• 4 years ago

Pics of room (ignore clutter if possible)
    Kitchen to LR
    LR to kitchen

• 4 years ago

Northeast corner to hallway
    Hallway to northeast corner

• 4 years ago

I would like to keep bottom of cabinet only. Replace top shelving unit with large mirror.

To answer questions:
    Chairs are from Grandin road. Pros: price, VERY comfortable Cons: lack of contrast, western nail-heads, sloppy finish work (wood filler light color and they stained without sanding filler! 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️)

• PRO
    4 years ago

Thanks so much. Are the clock, wall sculpture and art the only must-stays?

Could you please provide the room dimensions? Thanks.

• 4 years ago

The only thing definitely staying are chairs. Everything else is totally optional.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Thanks for the info on the chairs. Not typical of Grandinroad to have sloppy workmanship, but good to know.

• 4 years ago

Measurements

• 4 years ago

Or I could use these chairs...

• PRO
    4 years ago

A 60 " round table would work. One thing to keep in mind about that is it is a little more difficult for the people directly across in a round table to converse.

Or, you could place a a 72" table parallel to the 14' wall or a 60" table parallel to the 13' wall.

• 4 years ago

Good point. Thx! If I went parallel to 14’ wall, where do you recommend I put table and storage?

• 4 years ago

Actually, can I go parallel to 14’ wall or does that impede flow to LR too much?

• PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I placed a 72" table in your space and added the buffet. (I don't know how deep the buffet is, but it seems fairly shallow) Placing the buffet along this wall, I would think essentially makes the room a square. What I would do is to place no chairs on the ends on a daily basis. This allows for about 40" on both ends. These chairs are on the smaller side at 15", so fitting 3 Grandinroad chairs across would be a little tight. The black chairs seem a touch smaller?

When guests come over, you can add chairs at the ends. No chairs at the ends gives a more modern feel to the space. I almost always design that way, unless circumstances do not allow or the client wants chairs at the end on a daily basis.

If you wanted, you could even move the dining set a little to one side (would have to move chandelier).

Yes, you could turn the table to the other direction. It really depends on the foot traffic flow in the space and what works best for you. You essentially have a square room.

How many do you need to seat on a daily basis? How many when you have guests?

cem225 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 4 years ago

I don't think you'll achieve the vibe you're going for with a rectangular table. The 60" round seems like it would be a nice fit in your space and should seat 6 comfortably. I don't think it's too big for conversation. After all, if you put a 72" long table in there, the two people at opposite ends are 6 feet apart instead of 5.

• PRO
    4 years ago

You are very welcome. Is the kitchen to living room the most common traffic pattern through the dining room? Is the living room your main family room or is there another family room?

• 4 years ago

Off topic but I love your floors! Your house seems to have a really nice vibe!

I like round tables! Great for conversations...so many dining rooms don't have the right layout for a round table.

cem225 thanked Cynthia
  • PRO
    4 years ago

A round table is certainly an option for this room. I certainly was not trying to sway you against that. It really depends on what you like. The nice thing is that there are options for this space.

cem225 thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 4 years ago

Your plan to remove the hutch from the buffet will be a good update. [But isn’t it disappointing that hutches and curio cabinets are apparently seen as dated. Frustrating when one buys a classic, timeless design...and then things change.] Because of the quality of the finish on the chairs, wouldn’t now be the time to return them?

cem225 thanked dsimber
  • 4 years ago

Hi all. I just spent about 2 hours responding and somehow lost it all. I will try again now but have to do it quickly so I apologize if I'm unclear.

FIRST, THANK YOU ALL! I love all the ideas.

Kateinparadise-thanks for the suggestions/

CDR-Kitchen to living room main traffic. Yes, LR main family room. Never felt swayed. Just great options which are VERY appreciated!

Cynthia-Thanks for compliments and suggestions.

dsimber-Agree! Yes, I will try to return but policy states I have to pay shipping back. I'll give them a call on Monday.

Here's the full description of the house:

Dining Room on left, Kitchen on right

Kitchen on the right.

Design vibe that I love (basically anything that Amber Interiors puts out into the world):

To achieve this look, I'd like to "go for" the 60" table! I'd also like to use a colorful flat weave kilim. I've found a few 8x6 that may work:

• 4 years ago

Another kilim....

Now for chairs I have either 6 of these:

Or 6 of these (if I can return these, I would be able to get something else so let me know if you have something else in mind):

I am looking for suggestions for:

Round 60" table (finish and style)

Lighting (flush, semi-flush...whatever...8' ceilings)

Rug

Window treatments (We NEVER open the dining room door. Would love to disguise it to look like a window if possible?)

fyi....this is my inspo for LR:

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! I am in total awe of your willingness to help a stranger, and SO, SO GRATEFUL!!!!

• 4 years ago

Good luck with getting return shipping costs waived. It seems that it should be due to the quality issue.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I would use the black and white chairs (based on your living room inspiration).

I don't see the need, but if you want to, you can add woven shades (or just valances) to all windows and doors. This would disguise the height difference between door and windows.

Keep in mind, you should be able to fully pull out a dining chair without it coming off a rug. A rectangular rug is generally not the best shape for a round table

Tudor Revival · More Info

• PRO
    4 years ago

Just throwing this out there......since you don't use the dining room much and the traffic pattern is kitchen to living room......would you consider removing the walls between dining and living room?

• 4 years ago

I like where you’re going but I think those walls are load bearing and hubby loves DR.

• 4 years ago

Still stuck on original problem.... what table? Black, natural? I do have my original mood board...

• 4 years ago

Kitchen orig mood board...(Serena & Lily counter chairs too $$$, so I subbed CB2 chairs)

• 4 years ago

Dsimber-Grandinroad has agreed to take chairs back!!! $0 shipping fee for defective chairs!!! LOVE GRANDIN ROAD!!!Thanks for idea!

• PRO
    4 years ago

Since you have the C&B dining chairs, I'd use those. The black would pull in the unique iron art and then I'd buy a table to pull in your buffet.

• 4 years ago

Sorry, to clarify, the CB2 are counter height. 🤦‍♀️Pic is my kitchen island.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Thanks. I understood that. The 6 dining chairs you have look exactly like Crate and Barrel chairs (the black ones with cane back and white seat. Maybe you bought them elsewhere.

• 4 years ago

Ohhh! Yes! Just as FYI, i bought those at Scout and Nimble. They are made by 4 Hands. I looove them, but -again- quality is so poor. I sent them pics and they are just sending me 2 new chairs. They don’t even want the others back. Very impressed with Scout & Nimble! (Well, I will be once the chairs arrive!!! 😀)

• 4 years ago

If you use your current chairs, I would use a wood table to bring in the warmth that is in all of your inspo pictures. You could also switch out the hardware on the hutch to black to help modernize it a bit and tie it into the space. A square rug works well with a round table. This is 8' x 8'1" and is vintage.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/695827478/8-x-81-feet-gorgeous-vintage-afghan?

• 4 years ago

Great ideas! Love hardware suggestion! Love the rug! Brilliant! When you say “current” chairs, which ones? Black/white/cane or woven leather? When you say wood table....what finish? Any examples of tables?

• 4 years ago

May I say that what showed in your initial photos: I got feel of a 'cool' country lobby / restaurant, where things are imperfect as they say. I like what you had, especially because of the large focus on black metal creatures. :)

Do you have to have modern lighting? cause I think ones shown are too far over, and should be transitional instead.

The other chair options won't 'go colonial' - is it a concern? - anyway, a very bright kilim rug would work with those chairs.

But a more muted and simple kilim might work with the leather strap chairs....?

• 4 years ago

Is this it? "Trying to create Cali-cool- boho-chic-minimalism in a NE colonial house."

Good for you!!

katinparadise had idea after removing upper you add accenting knobs...? Casual canvas art above could bring in a vibe you want. Doesn't seem then that you'd need a rug...gosh, you could hang a rug/cloth/tapestry that fits. Buy local? :)

• 4 years ago

This item popped up - would this 'colonial old gold' color work with minimal design [nice]?

In a way, the upper unit balances ok with black item.... ? and you could sparsely place useable items. The whole thing could take chalk paint.

17"x10" Oval Platter, 0.75" · More Info

17.75"x13" Flare Oval Platter · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/17x10-oval-platter-0-75-prvw-vr~86469990

• 4 years ago

Great! The first one looks perfect.

• 4 years ago

I meant the black and white chairs. If you can get a refund for the other leather chairs (which I love by the way, but I would be very disappointed in the quality).

• 4 years ago

Katinparadise-any table ideas?

• 4 years ago

I would paint the table a color like olive green, mustard yellow, antique red. The chair legs you might be able to sand down slightly and rub with a black wax (easier than painting). You might consider covering the back of your hutch with grass cloth or a nubby fabric to better showcase your collectibles. Think it is a stunning and very interesting room.

• 4 years ago

Do you want to go modern or keep it a bit more transitional?

Modern Industrial Antique Vintage Style Round Dining Table, Brown, Metal Wood · More Info

Dining Table Mendocino California Classic Solid Wood Chestnut Modern · More Info

Modern Industrial Antique Vintage Style Round Dining Table, Brown, Metal Wood · More Info

https://www.allmodern.com/furniture/pdp/magaw-solid-wood-dining-table-lnpe9945.html?piid=

• 4 years ago

Modern, but not too modern. “California-boho-chic”. Lol.