SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

I Just Don't Get This Love Affair with Jane Austen's Novels

ritaweeda
4 years ago

I love watching most British entertainment, whether it's a TV show on PBS or a series, a movie, and of course I've read many of the great British classics. But I cannot understand how anyone ever got through a Jane Austen novel without hurling the book through the nearest window. Well, maybe way back in the early 1800's but now now. I just don't get it. I understand that it was a different time and women were expected to behave and think in a different way about romance but the thoughts of sitting and reading for hours these tedious pages makes me crazy. I tried to read Pride and Prejudice. I'd read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights and loved those stories and was told I HAD to read Pride and Prejudice. I struggled through maybe 2 chapters and finally flung it aside. So now the movie has come out of her novel "Emma" and it's getting raves. I'll have to wait and see but I won't be spending money to go see it. If it appears on a streaming site I might try it. I've had to struggle to watch the movie versions of her other books, don't know if this one will be different. Anyone out there who completely disagrees??

Comments (23)