SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

Hair products to smooth frizzy, gray hair

3katz4me
4 years ago

So I've begun the attempt to wean myself off hair coloring. Last visit to the salon brought me from brown to blonde - what a shock. At least to me it was - DH thought it was so subtle he didn't even mention it. It's a good step though to see how I adjust to light (gray) hair. I will ask my stylist when I see her but in the meantime thought I'd check with you all to see if anyone uses any product they like to smooth frizzy hair. Mine used to be like this when I just highlighted it but once I started all over color I got the nice, smoother texture that comes with that. Now that a lot of the color is removed it's more frizzy and flyaway again. I used to be able to smooth it down quite nicely when I dried it but now not so much. Any recommendations?

Comments (40)

• Lukki Irish
    4 years ago

My hair gets frizzy when it’s humid out. I’m not sure if that’s the same type of frizzy you’re referring to, but I just use a round brush when I blow dry it and that seems to do the trick. I even use the dryer and round brush when it’s dry and in between washings and that too keeps it in check.

• jojoco
    4 years ago

I use a small amount of frizzEase and work it through my damp hair. Then I blow it dry. I have tried all sorts of products, some which cost a whole lot more, and found this to be the best.

• Related Discussions

Products for Grey Hair

Q

Comments (13)
    To brighten your hair use Shimmer Lights shampoo. It will glisten and make your hair glow. It's great for dull gray, gray and any shade of blond. I had a salon and I know it works well. If you have a Sally Beauty supply nearby they also sell a generic brand of it. Well worth the few dollars you'll pay. Aveeno has a product you apply after shampooing and you leave it on five to fifteen minutes, it comes in different tones of hair. I use the blonde one and my hair comes out blonder and shinier. Both products are very good.
    ...See More

Soft Fine Hair vs Grizzled Hair

Q

Comments (9)
    My hair has gotten dry and looks and feels like straw when I get up in the morning and I thought it had gotten thin. Not a pretty sight! Because of all the health problems I've dealt with this past year, I haven't had the time or ambition to do anything about it. Until this week. I made an appointment for a perm and asked if meds could have any thing to do with that. She said absolutely. (I had made a note to ask my doctor when I see him again in January.) I'm taking a blood pressure pill, a blood thinner, and the hormone pill, all new to me. I was wrong about the thinning; she remarked as she was cutting my hair that it is definitely not thin, but still very thick! Yay! She gave me a good haircut so I still have some fullness, and a soft perm, It looks good, but of course I can never make it look that good. I'm going to try the coconut oil and see if that helps. Sue
    ...See More

A product for frizzy hair that works

Q

Comments (3)
    akl_vdb - could you tell me about the glossing serum, please? Does it make your hair shiny? I have dark hair and it looks its best when its shiny. Usually on days I don't wash, I use a little shine cream. I'm curious as to what exactly the serum is/does. TYIA
    ...See More

Time for more hair talk...smoothing serum

Q

Comments (23)
    Sorry, I've got no input on serums, but I just wanted to say that I bought a new hair dryer, and my hair has been so much smoother! I had followed a previous thread here about hairdryers and wanted to buy the Rusk that was highly rated, but it was no longer available. So, after Christmas I was in Costco, and they had a T3 hairdryer on sale. I bought it and I was surprised that it actually does dry my hair faster, and my hair is and remains smoother. I really never believed that these expensive hairdryers made a difference, but apparently I was wrong. After I dry my hair I briefly run a straightening iron through it - much less than in the past, and then my hair stays smooth for several days until my next shampoo.
    ...See More
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Wait ,what? I have met you twice and my memory of you is a truly lovely, pixie-ish, stylish blonde!

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ha-ha Mtn - well it's blonder in the summer because the processed color fades in the sun. Now it's blonde in the winter with my Minnesota winter pale skin which isn't quite as good a look IMHO. Part of the reason I want to see about a more natural color is because the faux color gets too yellow/gold/brassy when I'm out in the sun and I'm just not going to cover up my head in the summer. The other reason is that I don't think even medium brown hair looks right on me the older I get. And the other reason is that I'd rather not expose myself to a head full of chemicals every four weeks and that's what it takes. I have a friend who has been totally gray for years and her hair is a nice, pale blonde. I thought I'd see if I could give that a try for this summer - if it doesn't get too yellow. I really don't think I'm ready for natural gray but now that I'm retired I'm more open to trying alternatives.

My hair has the frizzier texture now and it's not humid here. It's the gray texture. Jojo - I've seen frizzEase - I'll take a closer look at that.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

My hair is super short and spiky with long grayish white bangs that tend to frizz a bit at the hairline. I too just smooth a drop of frizzEase onto those areas and it does the trick.

• Bonnie
    4 years ago

I can understand 3katz, as I too am considering how to manage without the monthly (more like every 3 weeks) exposure to chemicals. Currently I am sporting a shoulder length light brown bob with blonde highlights. The blonde works well to hide the gray but it is still a chemical application. I thought I'd be ready to go gray in retirement, but I'm always pushing it off (after this trip, after this event, after summer, etc.) One of these days I am going to have it cut short and heavily highlighted then let it go gray. One of these days.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

It's a joy to be free of color treatments. Go for it, ladies! ;)

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ida - you are my inspiration!!

• salonva
    4 years ago

Did I write this query? lol I have been coloring free since Thanksgiving of 2018. I would say I am not even halfway there. I have super curly frizzy kinky hair- always have. What I have found that works reasonably well to tame but not straighten is Dove moisturizing conditioner. Lately though I have been wearing my hair pulled back and then a curly pony tail which actually is looking nice.

The Dove is like $5 for a tube that lasts a month or so.

• Arapaho-Rd
    4 years ago

3katz, i've got gray for sure underneath my color. The texture of gray is so different. Frizzes easily. Not sure how you dry your hair, but the hairdryer makes a difference for sure. I'm on the hunt for a new one.

I've got a InfinitiPro Conair Spin Brush which I don't have the patience to use from totally wet hair, but it works great to smooth and de-frizz. I've had my hair get caught up in the spin when it was new so I had to pull the plug, but other than that, it's inexpensive and might be worth the try.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

3katz you are cute as a button and I am sure you can rock gray, too.

3katz4me thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Bunny
    4 years ago

Re FrizzEase. Can it be confined to limited areas? Overall my hair isn't frizzy, but there's a section, sort of in the back, only on one side that will frizz. Just a stupid section of hair.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    4 years ago

I'm a fan of BioSilk which, fortunately, can often be found at TJMaxx! Win-win

• jojoco
    4 years ago

Bunny, I don’t use frizzease all over. I tend to focus it on the part that frames my face which seems to be most prone to frizzing. .

• suero
    4 years ago

I use L'Oreal Ever Sleek Frizz Finish Oil, without which my hair does a perfect Roseanne Rosannadana impersonation.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DuSharme - I remember my grandmother, who was a beautician back in the day, used this on her hair. They still make it - selling on Amazon - and it seems to serve this purpose. Gets good reviews. I feel like trying it in memory of her. You put in on after stying and before hairspray if you use that.

Arapaho - I just bought a new dryer rec’d here - W8less. It was working great prior to this latest decoloring process. My hair will probably be better if I manage to quit processing it.

• yeonassky
    4 years ago

I use Pantene smooth and sleek shampoo and conditioner. I leave the conditioner my hair and comb it through my hair. I use a cloth to wipe any excess conditioner. It's the only way I have tangle free hair for a day or two if lucky. Unfortunately my hair tangles in the back and in the front.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

3katz, I’ve had a W8less dryer for a couple of years and love it.

• eld6161
    4 years ago

For those with the inclination to go gray, you have my admiration.

But, for those who have mentioned the chemicals in coloring, I’d like to suggest Kevin Murphy for color. They are sulfate and paraben free. I discovered my salon when looking for shampoos without the usual chemicals. Although some salon sell the products, they don’t all color with it, so you have to ask.

• aok27502
    4 years ago

I also have kinky curly hair which is currently more grey than brown. I've never colored, and I prefer to air dry it. I've been using Marc Anthony Curl Cream, just comb it through and let it dry. I still have curls, just more tidy. I only use it when I want to look decent, I'm still on my first tube. It's about $5 most anywhere.

I'd really like to cut my hair super short for convenience, but in the humidity it literally looks like a Brillo pad. 🙄

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

I like Bedhead After Party

• Annie Deighnaugh
    4 years ago

I have never colored my hair...ever...but was thinking of going a little lighter so I consulted with my cousin the hair dresser who changes her hair color like I change socks....green, teal, burgundy, bright red, whatever...and she said don't go there. It's fine the way it is and I shouldn't start something that I might regret. So I'm leaving it be, thankful that the gray is still minimal.

For keeping it tame, I've been using the "It's a 10" leave in hair conditioner...only I get the equate version at walmart. Seems to help control it and makes my hair very shiny.

• chessey35
    4 years ago

My hair has been gray for a while now and it does fly in the winter. I use a round brush and a mousse for body with a small amt of hair spray at the end. If it still flies, a hairdresser told me to use a Kubuki brush (a little squat full soft powder brush) and just smooth it over flyaways - something she learned at a beauty show- it seems to work very well.

• Allison0704
    4 years ago

My hair stylist used a Color Wow product on me last week. I looked at the bottle, but now that I'm looking at the website I am not sure which one she used. :-/ I've been using Fekkai shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair for years, but they recently changed their formulas and bottle sizes, which changed price points. Luckily I purchased a ton the last 30% sale on their website. For some reason I have an aversion to spending a ridiculous amount of money on products.

Has anyone here used Color Wow products?

• maddielee
    4 years ago

Is this like driving a green VW Bug and noticing lots of other VW Bugs on the road? It seems to me that going gray is now the in thing.

I’m in the long process of going natural. I keep my hair pretty short, my stylist says I’m about 2 haircuts away from complete gray, I still won’t look like Jane Fonda. That first look in the mirror each morning still shocks me.

All this to say that Frizz-ease works for me. A tiny bit.

• OllieJane
    4 years ago

See if the Dry Bar line has a product you need. I've been using their products lately, and love EVERY one I've used. They really smooth my hair out and make it shiny-I have fine and straight hair, that can be dry-looking if I'm not careful, due to the highlighting (and probably my age now), and it is the best I've used. I don't put on anything for frizz afterwards, but maybe they have something for that purpose?

• nutsaboutplants
    4 years ago

I have seriously curly frizzy hair. After trying at least a few dozen products on the market, I’ve finally landed on what I consider a miracle for my steel wool hair — loads of cetaphil moisturizer (yes, that’s not a mistake or typo, moisturizer) worked into towel-dried, damp hair immediately after showering. I air dry while working it into the hair and scrunching up the curls. When that dries, I apply a very small amount of BioKeratin Hydrating Conditioner. A little of this BioKeratin goes a long way.

the cetaphil moisturizer is pretty runny and takes several applications to fully hyrdrate my hair, but once I do that, I have completely frizz-free, intact, shiny curls. It looks so healthy and doesn’t feel stiff or crunchy to the touch. even Strangers compliment me on my hair.

This was a chance discovery when I once forgot to take my hair products on a trip and found myself with Nothing for my hair after showering. I used the moisturizer since that’s the only thing I had.

I wash my hair every second or third day. I can refresh the curls with a little water and moisturizer on days when I don’t wash my hair. I wish I had known this trick all these years when I was fighting unruly hair that can be beautiful when Not frizzy.

• User
    4 years ago

I've battled frizzy kinky hair my whole life. It is the bane of my existence.

The thing about frizz is that what works for one person may not work well for another.

I've tried every product out there, and for me, the Chi silk infusion oil is far superior to Frizz Ease. Then I use the Chi heat protection spray, then I flat iron it. Only then may I leave the house without scaring small children.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

OMG, I hesitated to write about this. Cetaphil totally works for me too. Figured it out the same way. So much cheaper than Silk Groom from Kiehl's and just as good.

• 4kids4us
    4 years ago

I have always had coarse/frizzy, and very thick, hair which is not the same as curly/frizzy hair. The best way for me to tame it is to blow it completely dry. That works mostly fine in the winter, but in summer/humid weather, I need to use product. For my hair, Straight Works by Paul Mitchell gives me the smooth shine. It‘s put on while hair is damp and then blown dry.

I’m only 52 but have a lot of gray and my hair grows very fast which means coloring my roots every four weeks. I have no desire at my age, especially since I still have kids at home, to go gray, even though it’s becoming more trendy. I’ve noticed that as I get closer to time for coloring, the texture of my hair gets coarser, so I have started using Straight Works more often in the winter.

My daughter, who also has very thick, coarse hair that is also curly/wavy sometimes uses It‘s a 10 that has been mentioned above.

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    4 years ago

I stopped coloring completely 2 years ago and got my hair cut pretty short at the same time. Before that I was just getting highlights and low lights. It was very time consuming to get it highlighted so I decided to stop and see what I was working with. I actually wish that it was more silver/white than gray and that there was more of it but I am pretty happy with it. The young girls pay lots of $$ to have gray hair now.

My gray does not seem to have a different texture but my hair is coarse and I have a lot of it. I use non-sulfate products (and purple shampoo once a week). I am going to try some of the products mentioned above.

• User
    4 years ago

Rory, your hair is beautiful. Truly! I'd love it if my hair looked like that. :)

• chispa
    4 years ago

maddielee, I would bet that many of the photos you see of Jane Fonda include a wig or extension. This is La after all! When my mother was visiting she wanted to visit one of the large wig shops here in LA and the variety and styles are endless.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I agree, Rory. So lovely!

I can't wait to go gray. My friends say I'm not ready yet. But I follow many 50+ women on Instagram, and gray is beautiful.

For frizz, I use the teeniest amount of argan oil, which does the trick. I'm going to try Cetaphil, though... what a great discovery.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

Oh, I agree with the others --- Rory, your gray is a shining example of loveliness!

I also want to suggest that nobody else gets to decide when you're "ready" to go gray. Not your friends or your mama or your lover ... nobody. 'Cept you. And maybe your cat if you have one, because cats are wise, wise creatures. ;-)

• Bunny
    4 years ago

nutsaboutplants, I would love to have hair just like yours, black and curly.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I probably need a cat.

• IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I'll loan you one. I have spares.

• Olychick
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I like to spread SPAM on my face.