How steamy does the Instant Pot's immediate area get?

Alisande

I haven't used my new Instant Pot yet, but I plan to remedy that soon. I have it stored on a pantry shelf, but during times when it's in use it'll sit on my butcher block (an antique 3x3' standing butcher block that serves as an island). My daughter bought me a big, beautiful Echo Show that resides on the butcher block, and I'm wondering if these two new toys are compatible. If the Echo is likely to encounter steam from the IP, I'll have to find another place for it. Your opinions, please. Thanks!

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

In normal use there is little to no steam coming out. The only time you have any to be concerned about is if you are doing a forced release of pressure after it is done cooking. Unless you have something directly above it where the steam comes out of the vent nothing will be affected. They sell lots of different steam diverters on Amazon, some are pretty cute. You can also use a dish towel to make a circle around the vent to contain drips but don't cover the vent.

If you allow natural release there's not any problem. It does it controlled and slowly no spewing.

Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX
Save    
kathyg_in_mi

Raven, those are so cute!

Save    
amylou321

There is almost no steam while it is cooking. When you release the pressure,put a good kitchen towel over the spout before you press the quick release button. It will keep it from spewing.

1 Like Save    
Alisande

Thanks--so many cute steam diverters! I'm looking at my kitchen and realizing there's no good place to shoot steam. This old house is just about all wood: wood walls, exposed wood beams, antique wood furniture. I better find some good recipes that use natural release.

Save    
Sandplum1-Bring Sophie back!!!

The Dragon diverter is in my cart now, thanks to ravencajun!🐉

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

It says that you should never put a towel or anything else over the release valve so I would not throw a towel over it.

I know they are cute. I have never had a problem with the steam but I allow natural release as much as possible.

1 Like Save    
socks

I put a towel over it. No steam while cooking, very quiet too compared to standard stovetop pressure cooker.

Save    
desertsteph

yes, there are warnings about covering the vent area. I never do that. I moved mine close to my sink area and have it set so the steam goes out over an open area over the sink. there's a window there. I don't usually have much. if anything starts to spew out I do it a bit at a time until it is all released.

Save    
maddielee

Although the steam is released in a concentrated manner, it probably Is not more then you have when you boil water or cook a pot of pasta on the stove. The steam shoots up, don’t place it under a cabinet or shelf. I don’t think I’ve ever had dampness on my counter from the IP.

Save    
Alisande

Thanks for all the responses. I'm looking forward to trying out the Instant Pot.

Save    
Cherryfizz

I have had enough water damage to the walls in my house I was concerned about the steam as well but it is okay. I set my IP on the counter with the vent aimed so it shoots over the kitchen sink with no cupboards or items above the steam. The venting steam is not all that much. If you cook meat it is adviseable to natural release for 15 minutes, vegetables vent right away because they will over cook. I cook vegetables like broccoli, brussel sprouts for 0 minutes, quick release and they come out perfect, any longer they are mush. Rice - equal ratio water to rice for 4 minutes, fast release. Brown rice a bit longer.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decks See How Outdoor Seating Areas Can Inspire You to Get Outside
Explore your options with these 10 design ideas from enticing gardens, patios and balconies
Full Story
Sheltering at Home Get the Most Out of Your Kitchen’s Undersink Area
Clever solutions can turn this awkward space into a storage workhorse
Full Story
Data Watch How Much Does a Remodel Cost, and How Long Does It Take?
The 2016 Houzz & Home survey asked 120,000 Houzzers about their renovation projects. Here’s what they said
Full Story