SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferck05

Trouble-shooting a just bought Fiddleleaf-immediate care tips please!

jenniferck05
8 years ago

Hello!

I have been looking for a Fiddleleaf Fig for years but have had no luck where I am in the Mid-Atlantic US - in independent nurseries nor big box stores - and I had all but given up, but yesterday I finally found one (the only one) at my local home depot! I am usually very careful about the plants I choose to buy from big box stores, but in this case, given my lack of luck in finding a fiddleleaf I bought it without a second thought.

However, I recognize that I probably bought a less than healthy tree since it already has brown spots/areas on the leaves. After reading some of the fiddleleaf care info in these forums, I realize that whatever caused the spots has probably been going on for a while, but since I just acquired the plant yesterday, I have no idea how it's been cared for.

Following is some basic info about my plant as well as some pictures of the plant.

Tree is 5.5 feet with one branch coming off of the main one at about 1.5 feet from the top of the soil.

There are brown spots on the leaves - mostly on the lower leaves, but there are smaller brown spots on the upper leaves as well. The following is a picture of the worst-looking leaf and you can see some of the smaller spots on the leaves above it.

There was also a tag on the plant saying it had been treated for pests with neonicotinoids. I see some remnants of a web or webbing on one part of the tree on both the stem and on parts of the leaves. Tried to get a picture but it's hard to see in the photo.

The following is a close-up photo of what the top of the soil looks like.

There appear to be roots on the surface, however, I don't see roots coming out of the drainage hole. Also, I have not watered at all since bringing it home because I recognize the brown spots could be due to watering issues and the soil was not dry. However it appears only half the soil was watered, because one side was wet but the other was dry.

I recognize that the damage to the plant is probably due to a previously ongoing problem and that it'll probably take some time to fully diagnose, and I'm worried about the plant getting worse in the mean time. So I'm hoping for some advice or a plan of care that I can implement immediately in to minimize damage to the plant and to further increase the likelihood for a happy healthy plant. Basically, what's the best/most important thing I can do right now to minimize further damage and ensure a healthy recovery?

Thanks in advance for your time everyone!

Jen

Comments (24)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals