SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

attracting birds to an urban balcony (no trees in immediate area)

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

Are there any balcony gardeners here who also have bird feeders?

I live in an urban area and have a 4th floor balcony. There are no trees per se alongside my building. My balcony looks out over a parking lot. Beyond that, the nearest yards with shrubs and trees are er�..30 yards from our building?

Is there any hope of my getting birds if I were to put out seed and an electric bird bath? I often see birds flying about in the backyards beyond our building, but naturally I never see them anywhere near or alongside my actual building. I DO know the ins and outs of bird feeders, seed, etc. (I used to have my own backyard at one point and was very successful in getting birds to my feeders.) I just don�t know �how� birds would come to figure out I have seed and water available in this particular setting, and since they normally don�t fly anywhere near my building. Or do birds have some type of amazing sense of smell, that they�d somehow smell the seed?

I know that the sound of running water can help to attract birds but again, I don�t think the sound could be loud enough for the birds that are flying 30 or so yards away from my building.

Thanks all!

Comments (5)