SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
umsue

Perfect urban small tree/shrub-Advice?

umsue
17 years ago

It's a small back yard, and this will be the focal point from inside and outside the house. I'm looking for the perfect small tree/large shrub, and so I could use all the advice and suggestions I can get. The site is full sun, excellent soil, excellent (not sharp) drainage. Some protection from winter storms and cold.

Here's the fantasy requirement/wish list:

1. Width at full maturity 12 or so feet or less. Height unlimited (15 feet optimal), but can't be susceptible to falling over in a soaking winter storm. A narrow column will not work, I would like it to provide 5-10 ft of partial shade.

2. Ability to limb it up to about 5-6 feet and still maintain a nice form. Single trunk tree or narrow multitrunk shrub.

3. No water hogs, although some summer supplemental water is fine.

4. Big leaves -- small or lacy leaves will not work. Also leaves that begin to look bedraggled at summer's end won't work.

5. Multi-season interest -- winter structure, spring flowers, GOOD FALL COLOR.

6. (This one is really important)Provides some benefit to urban wildlife - nuts, fruit, nectar, protection from cats and crows. A tree that is "too messy" for a street tree will work well here.

I have thought of several things -- hazelnut, pie-cherry, vine maple, --someone suggested magnolia. None are perfect. Already have a serviceberry shrub (leaves too small, anyway), and an elderberry. The fantasy is really a nut or acorn tree, but I'm not sure I can find such a creature that fits the space and looks good.

Thanks to all who read and/or respond.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!