SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Ditching loblolly pines and looking for something more attractive

Bama_Joe
8 years ago

Howdy folks,

Ive been thinking and thinking, coming to the conclusion that my young loblolly pines have to go. They grow really fast and the original intention was for camellia shade. I bought them cheap and planted this past spring.

Well, things change and I decided they just aren't the best tree for an urban area and I will not be happy with the way they look.

I do need some height, as I want birds, which require trees of differing heights. I've grown away from a mass planting of camellias, but keeping the 5 japonicas shaded by my neighbor's mature oaks hanging over my property line (he mentioned regretting planting them so close to my yard, which I then thanked him for).

I realize loblolly is great for wildlife, but not for me. Looked at Japanese black pine, but heard they don't do well in North Alabama (I'm zone 7a/7b). I definitely want a few small cultivar redbuds, but wanted some advice on better looking trees that could provide some shade. Deodar was mentioned in general, as well as the blue ice Arizona Cypress. Is it maybe a better plan to have deciduous trees as a smaller canopy, plant some juniper trees/arborvitae/yoshinos, or something else? My yard is 79 feet deep and 92 feet wide. I'm looking for general ideas and want a hummingbird/butterfly area in the center (possibly with a redbud and a few small (maybe 3 or 4?) like sized trees around it, which flower and produce fruit/seed or pods.

I know now this is being very general. I'm trying to get an idea of what to choose from so I can start a layout. I may move one of the two shoal creek vitex trees to that center area.

Thanks!

Joe

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville